advertisement

Post-Trump: III (decline, further tantrums, legal proceedings, book deals etc)

And to be fair he has paid his price to society with a prison term and a criminal record. And his podcast which drives his public profile and commentary is called Mea Culpa.

I thought I was being fair. I believe in redemption, and I appreciate his efforts to turn his life around and do the right thing now.

I can forgive, but I can not forget that for many years, he completely embraced the role of T***p’s attack dog. He was a terrible bully who made a lot of people’s lives miserable. I hope that side of him is dead and buried forever.

I thought I was being fair. I believe in redemption, and I appreciate his efforts to turn his life around and do the right thing now.

I can forgive, but I can not forget that for many years, he completely embraced the role of T***p’s attack dog. He was a terrible bully who made a lot of people’s lives miserable. I hope that side of him is dead and buried forever.

For sure -- I was agreeing with you and just intended to add a bit more to the point.

Although given he actually got convicted, lost his career and livelihood and went to prison I am inclined to give him far more leeway that the countless others who have behaved similarly. For example, Michael Avenatti who was seen as the good guy and Cohen as the villain and now Cohen is somewhat rehabilitated and Avenatti is languishing in a jail somewhere an order of magnitude more of a scumbag than Cohen ever was.

I'll settle for "That Fascist Asshole from Florida".
Certainly accurate, but we're trying to exploit that same hideous strength that Trump has so often demonstrated with his mocking nicknames. Pinning a 'sticky' name on someone gives one great power over how they are perceived.

Good one just seen in wild: Rhonda Santis

Apparently Cohen suspects Kushner may have flipped against Trump. Its clickbait with no evidence, but an interesting theory.

Certainly accurate, but we're trying to exploit that same hideous strength that Trump has so often demonstrated with his mocking nicknames. Pinning a 'sticky' name on someone gives one great power over how they are perceived.

Good one just seen in wild: Rhonda Santis

Trump has been a racist bully, coward, liar and cheat all his life: he is good at it.
Never wrestle with a pig etc

Trump has been a racist bully, coward, liar and cheat all his life: he is good at it.
Never wrestle with a pig etc
Just a fun exercise. Nothing is going viral from here....

But there is a real ethical question here I suppose. When is political name-calling OK? Can taste and wit and core truth make it OK? What if they are winning by going low?

For some reason I have received an email from Donald J Trump. It's come via an email address I don't use except as a disposable address for parties who I don't want to give my regular address to, so one of those has evidently found its way into the wrong hands. It's a push for funds and contains various donate links. I'll not, for obvious reasons, include the links, but the text of the message is this:

>>>
Patriot,

The Left thinks that if they bury me with enough witch hunts and intimidate my family and associates that I’ll eventually throw up my hands and give up on our America First movement.

Let me be as clear as possible: I WILL NEVER SURRENDER.

I walked away from a very nice life where the media never said a single mean thing about me.

I knew the price I’d have to pay for running a campaign that promised to take on the Deep State, the Open Borders Lobby, global special interests, and the Soros Money Machine.

And I don’t regret it even for a second!

Patriot, we have a country to save. And I’m not giving up now – and I know you aren’t either.
[...]

>>>

I reckon this is a positive sign. He's casting wider and wider in search of funds. At the same time, though, it's worrying because the rabble-rousing rhetoric continues.

For some reason I have received an email from Donald J Trump. It's come via an email address I don't use except as a disposable address for parties who I don't want to give my regular address to, so one of those has evidently found its way into the wrong hands. It's a push for funds and contains various donate links. I'll not, for obvious reasons, include the links, but the text of the message is this:

>>>
Patriot,

The Left thinks that if they bury me with enough witch hunts and intimidate my family and associates that I’ll eventually throw up my hands and give up on our America First movement.

I walked away from a very nice life where the media never said a single mean thing about me.

I knew the price I’d have to pay for running a campaign that promised to take on the Deep State, the Open Borders Lobby, global special interests, and the Soros Money Machine.

Patriot, we have a country to save. And I’m not giving up now – and I know you aren’t either.
[...]

>>>

I reckon this is a positive sign. He's casting wider and wider in search of funds. At the same time, though, it's worrying because the rabble-rousing rhetoric continues.
I received something similar from a lovely lady in Nigeria.

>>>
Patriot,

[...]

>>>

The Orangeman says 'No Surrender':
s-l500.jpg

Oh hang on...

I don't understand how legally the New York hush money case adds up to much more than a misdemeanor. It is convoluted, and I am a bit surprised the DA appears to be moving forward.

The Georgia case (and the federal probe over 1/6) are much more serious. Confirmation came today that T***p made another phone call pressing for votes to overturned.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/15/politics/trump-ralston-georgia-phone-call/index.html

IMV, the Georgia case is a much clearer path to a felony conviction.

I don't understand how legally the New York hush money case adds up to much more than a misdemeanor. It is convoluted, and I am a bit surprised the DA appears to be moving forward.

The Georgia case (and the federal probe over 1/6) are much more serious. Confirmation came today that T***p made another phone call pressing for votes to overturned.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/15/politics/trump-ralston-georgia-phone-call/index.html

IMV, the Georgia case is a much clearer path to a felony conviction.
My recollection is that Stormy Daniels was paid off when Trump was President (or perhaps, when he was running) and it contravenes some clear rules about probity for those specific situations. In and of itself it may be a Storm in a teacup, but it serves to show a disregard for the norms, conventions and rules of governance surrounding the President, from a very early stage. If he'd do that, then, it makes it easier to persuade a court that he knowingly and intentionally did the other stuff, later.

My recollection is that Stormy Daniels was paid off when Trump was President (or perhaps, when he was running) and it contravenes some clear rules about probity for those specific situations. In and of itself it may be a Storm in a teacup, but it serves to show a disregard for the norms, conventions and rules of governance surrounding the President, from a very early stage. If he'd do that, then, it makes it easier to persuade a court that he knowingly and intentionally did the other stuff, later.

He was a candidate at the time, and I understand what you are saying. The other side of this case is that if T***p is exonerated, or merely gets his hand slapped with a misdemeanor and fine, then it reenforces his martyr/victim/retribution messaging. It may even consolidate some support among the so-called faithful, and win over a few from the GOP center. These people obviously don't care much about norms, conventions, and so on.

The path to promoting the NY misdemeanor to a felony is not straight forward at all and, thinking about it, I really don't believe it will have much of an effect on the other cases, regardless of when/if it proceeds, but we'll see. Not saying it isn't worth pursuing, but I wish it wasn't going first. In my head, I keep hearing "If you are going to shoot the dictator, you better not miss". The Georgia case has more to it, and a much better chance of success IMO.

As I understand it there are two misdemeanors -- one on falsifying business records and one on using those false records to break NY election laws -- and by combining them you get a much more serious felony charge. However, I do agree that it seems complicated and on that I have a theory!

If you remember originally Trump was being investigated in NY by Cyrus Vance Jr. and he was dragging his feet on an indictment and there were lots of dark mumblings about why that might be. Then Vance chose not to re-run and Alvin Bragg won. This was considered a good thing for bring Trump to justice because Bragg had a history of prosecuting Trump numerous times during his career working in the state attorney general's office. And because Bragg was the first African American to become DA and had run on a platform of holding the powerful to account and stopping the long standing practice of clamping down hard on low level crime. At least that was the story in his campaign.

Except that then Bragg promptly dropped the case against Trump just as indictments seemed imminent and the two hot shot prosecutors who had been running that case resigned in disgust. This was especially mysterious as this case was about fraud and the like from lying about property valuations on insurance policies and looked if not open-and-shut than at least a lot more doable than the current case. Bragg then got a load of grief over this and all the stuff from his campaign where he was attacked from the left of Democratic / New York politics came back up.

So my theory is that he has switched to the more tenuous Stormy Daniels case and it's mangled two misdemeanor framing because he had made a mistake in dropping the previous case. A cynic might also note that in dropping the original Trump case there was lots of talk of this making Bragg a one term NY DA.

advertisement

Back