advertisement

Post-Trump: Biden President Elect II (Trump tantrums, riots etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q-Anon nutter uses 'only obeying orders' defence and seeks Presidential pardon:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/qanon-shaman-capitol-rioter-wants-pardon-from-president-trump

'The attorney representing the so-called "QAnon Shaman" who stormed the US Capitol in a bizarre getup says President Trump should pardon his client before he leaves office next week.

Attorney Al Watkins said his client Jacob Chansley, 33, was acting on Trump’s invitation when he and others forced their way into the Capitol on Jan. 6, as Congress began formally counting the Electoral College votes to certify President-elect Joe Biden’s win.

"The words and invitation of a president are supposed to mean something," Watkins said in a statement to the Kansas City Star.'

Q-Anon nutter uses 'only obeying orders' defence and seeks Presidential pardon:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/qanon-shaman-capitol-rioter-wants-pardon-from-president-trump

'The attorney representing the so-called "QAnon Shaman" who stormed the US Capitol in a bizarre getup says President Trump should pardon his client before he leaves office next week.

Attorney Al Watkins said his client Jacob Chansley, 33, was acting on Trump’s invitation when he and others forced their way into the Capitol on Jan. 6, as Congress began formally counting the Electoral College votes to certify President-elect Joe Biden’s win.

"The words and invitation of a president are supposed to mean something," Watkins said in a statement to the Kansas City Star.'
Actually, that defence sounds like an item of evidence against Trump for the trial in the Senate

I saw it claimed that a secret vote on impeachment in the House would have significantly increased the GOP vote for impeachment (due I presume to fear of reprisals from the crazies?)
Can the Senate vote on indictment be changed to a secret vote?

Last edited:
Interesting/frightening article from NBC News regarding the rise of the far-right, the radicalisation of the Republican Party and the real threat to democracy it poses. Bottom line: more terrorism likely on the way. Again I fear we in the UK are in a very similar place with a vacuous lying Trump wannabe PM, but we have no Biden or Obama-calibre opposition to speak truth to power.

Interesting/frightening article from NBC News regarding the rise of the far-right, the radicalisation of the Republican Party and the real threat to democracy it poses. Bottom line: more terrorism likely on the way. Again I fear we in the UK are in a very similar place with a vacuous lying Trump wannabe PM, but we have no Biden or Obama-calibre opposition to speak truth to power.

Powerful, scary piece. This is the standout quote for me:

It needs to be more about de-radicalizing. Funding organizations that have people that have left the movement and can develop strategies on how to do outreach and pull people out. There needs to be a massive marketing campaign on what should citizens be doing. If you've got family members, neighbors, co-workers that are part of these movements, rather than ostracize and debate and criticize and isolate them, we need to love them, have compassion and bring them into the mainstream. The only way you're going to get rid of hate is through love. Every person I've ever known about that's been a white supremacist has left the movement through an act of compassion or love. They didn't leave it because someone convinced them that their belief systems were wrong.

And from the same article, here's why that isn't going to happen:

And it's going to depend on Republican leaders, what they decide to do. Because the Democrats, no matter how hard they're going to try, these people won't listen. It's going to take Republican leadership for these people to listen and actually tone down.

Outside of conspiracy theories the GOP platform offers nothing for the bottom 90% of the electorate. If the GOP were to make serious efforts to de-radicalize their base they'd have to come up with a completely new set of policies - ones that actually benefit the 90%, and stop funneling all economic gains to the top 5%. The top 1% pays for the GOP - so this isn't going to happen, until that top 1% is convinced that they have lost control of the situation and that they personally might suffer from domestic terror / civil war. We're not at that point yet - witness the idiot couple in Louisiana who think that buying his 'n hers guns will protect their mansion from a mob who feel that they have nothing to lose. I think it's going to take some shocking acts of killing and destruction to shock to GOP and their donors into realizing that they need to de-radicalize their base.

It is very hard to look forward with any kind of optimism for the near term future of the US.

On the other hand, appeasing far-right fascists never works either. History has taught us that.

You don't appease the leadership - but they're a small percentage of the members. You need to de-radicalize the membership, while imprisoning or defunding the leadership (ideally on mundane charges unrelated to terror - tax evasion, money laundering, fraud etc.)

The impeachment process is also the last opportunity for the GOP to show their morals - I suspect they will reveal very few morals.
That's one of the reasons I would like to see (if possible) a secret ballot - to remove the last (& justifiable excuse) for not voting for conviction. It appears that a roll call of votes can be called only if 20% of those present on the day, request it. I've never seen that being done - it always seems that just one member requests a roll call & the president of the chamber immediately agrees? Am I wrong in thinking this roll call could be avoided if there aren't 20% of members supporting it?

The Trumpists reserve their greatest hate for those republicans who have turned against Trump so their fear is justifiable.

The moment Biden is sworn in and Trump is gone, prepare to drink from a fire hose of scandalous revelations that will make you sick to your stomach. We don't know half of the evils Trump has wrought on the American people.

You don't appease the leadership - but they're a small percentage of the members. You need to de-radicalize the membership, while imprisoning or defunding the leadership (ideally on mundane charges unrelated to terror - tax evasion, money laundering, fraud etc.)

De-programming tens of millions of cult members is gonna be a challenge.

Just read that. What a laugh! Oh dear me, white privilege and entitlement just can’t get you out of this one honey. Old money and real white power really don’t want folk threatening the revenue streams. As for Trump pardoning them ha! They are nothing to him. ****ing barrowboy will have his own arse to save.

The impeachment process is also the last opportunity for the GOP to show their morals - I suspect they will reveal very few morals.
That's one of the reasons I would like to see (if possible) a secret ballot - to remove the last (& justifiable excuse) for not voting for conviction. It appears that a roll call of votes can be called only if 20% of those present on the day, request it. I've never seen that being done - it always seems that just one member requests a roll call & the president of the chamber immediately agrees? Am I wrong in thinking this roll call could be avoided if there aren't 20% of members supporting it?

The Trumpists reserve their greatest hate for those republicans who have turned against Trump so their fear is justifiable.
I think all votes in Congress are public. I assume it's the same in Parliament?

Even more direct is this "glorified bedding salesman", the CEO of MyPillow, entering the White House with what looks like incriminating photographic evidence of documentation invoking martial law and looking to shift blame to China/Iran.

https://twitter.com/jabinbotsford/status/1350186100564905985/photo/1
Er3jO25UcAMhyvh

“We’re gonna go down and storm the Capitol,” Ryan said in a video posted to Facebook. “They’re down there right now and that’s why we came and so that’s what we are going to do. So wish me luck.”

During a live Facebook video at the scene of the incursion, Ryan stated: “We are going to ****ing go in here. Life or death, it doesn’t matter. Here we go.”

She climbed the steps of the Capitol, then promoted her real estate business to camera: “Y’all know who to hire for your realtor. Jenna Ryan for your realtor.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/16/us-capitol-rioters-donald-trump-pardons

I bet Armando Iannucci wakes up everyday, looks at the news and sobs...

If i was them i'd tell the Judge "an older boy told me to do it".

Why would he have access to anything after Biden is sworn in?

Because by convention ex-presidents always do. Partly it's a courtesy and because ex-presidents tend get involved in various roles involving American interests and it's a good idea that they are still well informed.

I think Trump is the first case where people are concerned he might sell the info to the Russians or one of the more repressive gulf states.

Because by convention ex-presidents always do. Partly it's a courtesy and because ex-presidents tend get involved in various roles involving American interests and it's a good idea that they are still well informed.

I think Trump is the first case where people are concerned he might sell the info to the Russians or one of the more repressive gulf states.
Hands up, all those who believe that Trump hasn't been doing so all along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back