Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll: will you take the NHS Covid vaccine if offered it?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by TheDecameron, Sep 14, 2020.

?

Will you take the vaccine if offered to you by the NHS?

1. Yes

112 vote(s)
    84.2%
  2. No

21 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

What are you escaping from, or compensating for?

2. tuga

tuga Legal Alien

That could be said about most purchases of unnessential electronic goods. Who needs a new DAC, amplifiers, speakers, TV or the latest car, smartphone, etc.?

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  3. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment.

If you could end coronavirus by sacrificing one genre of music, what would it be and why country music?

Barrymagrec, sean99, Daveo and 7 others like this.
  4. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

So, aside from conjecture, any actual evidence these are dangerous? On the beeswax point, for example, it’s only a risk factor if the fuse containment fails. Any evidence it might?

Your prejudice is letting your ideas run away with you, in ways you condemn in others you disagree with.

5. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

And once we’ve done that, shall we see if we can do the same for malaria, with opera?

6. mik_rik

mik_rik pfm Member

Noted - and ignored

7. jtrade

jtrade pfm Member

‘Morning.

Because at 68 I’m in reasonably good health, am not unduly immuno-compromised and choose to avoid vaccines or use of antibiotics where possible.

I understand that those more vulnerable and/or fearful will feel that a Covid 19 vaccine, if & when it comes, will be the sensible choice.

I would be particularly suspect of a brand new vaccine for Covid 19, as there seems to be an unusually high level of hysteria, supported by non-stop primary news reporting, about the fundamentals & true relative dangers of Covid 19 itself.

I think this is a sensible analysis of the numbers:

Daveo likes this.
  8. Cav

Cav pfm Member

The last time I had proper 'flu was 15 years ago - it is not something you forget - but no 'flu despite no vaccine since.

I am not convinced the efficacy of the 'flu vaccine (or vaccines given the vaccine offered seems to be based on an assumption of what type of 'flu might occur) has been established and I choose not to have annual vaccines "just in case".

jtrade and mik_rik like this.
  9. tuga

tuga Legal Alien

According to AgeUK "An average of 8,000 people die from flu in England each year".

According to worldometer there have been 41,637 Covid19 deaths in the UK so far this year and we're still in mid September and with special contention measures in place but no vaccine.

10. mansr

mansr Objectionist

Do you even know why we have fuses? A fuse is a safety device to stop a minor fault turning into a disastrous fire. A solid copper rod is NOT A FUSE and provides no protections. Even if it hasn't caused a fire YET, using one of those creates a serious risk.

11. Daveo

Daveo pfm Member

Wifes grandfather is in his late 80's, had angina for 20 years or so and is in a bad way with dementia. He got the old Cov-19 and all were told to expect the worst, within a week he was right as rain as if he hadn't even had a cold.....just saying!

I've had proper flu, put me in hospital wired up to an ECG 20 years ago, never made me start getting jabs every year which may or may not be any use depending if they have anticipated the correct strains for the season.

I'm not an anti-vaxxer btw, all my kids have had their required jabs and i have a vaccine passport due to getting so many jabs, but i'm no hurry to line up for something that seems to be being pushed through with such haste, though i fear that i may not have any choice should a vaccine be rolled out in order to travel/work abroad.

12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Everything is a fuse, you could blow a spanner up with enough amps! ;-)

13. mansr

mansr Objectionist

I think in order to qualify as a fuse, it has to blow before the wiring it protects melts or ignites.

Mullardman likes this.
  14. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

Well imagine a spanner in front of a steel girder then...

15. cubastreet

cubastreet Espresso Fiend

Thanks for the update. I think my breathing is pretty good. I got on my bike as soon as I possibly could. At first if I rode faster than walking speed I got dizzy, but I built it up and now my lung capacity is good again.
    However, if I don't get on my bike nearly every day my lungs don't clear themselves off the liquid they seem to produce constantly. I get this really uncomfortable feeling like I'm drowning.

This is happening now as I'm in Portland and the PM2.5 levels are literally off the scale, so I'm not leaving the apartment. My asthma inhaler doesn't help much but surprisingly, vaporising CBD does.

Seanm and Daveo like this.
  16. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

What does vaporising CBD mean?

The situation in Portland in terms of air pollution seems appalling. It has got the worst quality of air in the world at the moment, I think.

I've got some friends who live in Portland, although I've never been. The current pollution and the BLM demos means it has been in for a really heavy time in the last few months.

Jack

17. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

i am glad i dont work in Dhaka, Delhi or Karachi any more....

18. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Words (almost) fail me. You admit you were hospitalised by Flu. You claim you aren't an 'anti vaxer', yet you pass up the opportunity to have a jab which may save your life or may attenuate a bout of flu even if not from the strain you were vaccinated against. And all because it 'might not work'?
    Your logic defeats me.

I was taken to hospital by Ambulance last Thursday night. I was experiencing a very low and erratic heart rate. I have CVD and a history of heart attack and stroke.
    The ambulance staff wired me to an ECG machine on arrival and IMMEDIATELY declared that I needed to be in hospital to be monitored and checked over.

I just accepted their advice. Fortunately for me the situation resolved after a few hours without any treatment and I'm now scheduled for further tests in an effort to work out what might be going on.

What I did not do was think... 'Well... I mean what's the bloody point? Even if I'm really sick.. they might not save me.. so why bother?'

mandryka, Suffolk Tony and mansr like this.
  19. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

Bears repeating that the plural of anecdote is not data.

20. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

Getting-rid of the Central Business District, with extreme prejudice.

deebster likes this.