advertisement

PMC Fact8 or ATC SCM50 ASL ???

My wife is having a baby! Listen, I don't know what my f... acquaintance did to upset you but it's nothing to do with me. I suggest you both go outside and discuss it sensibly, in the street.

Here in Canada a good old hockey rink fixes all in 10 seconds. Beers afterwards is the fun part. No cops most of the time.

The Audio research LS17 and ATC active speakers will not be a good match. AR recommend a minimum load of 20K ohms on their preamps, the ATCs are only 10K ohms.

Whereas the Bryston BP26 preamp will probably be quite a good match for the ATC actives.

Thanks for the tip alanbeeb. The ATC retailer also stocks the ATC preamps (obviously). Would these be a better match with the SCM50s??
I will probably not mix the PMC retailer (also bryston) with the ATC retailer !

Choice of loudspeakers can be a very personal thing.

I think that the active ATC 50's have a certain magnificence about them that's lacking in so many other modern speakers. They do have really good transparency about the midrange and treble. They excel at recreating the sound of guitar strings being plucked.

However I have 3 reservations about ATC 50's.

1 The price. £7500 is a lot of money for a speaker / power amp combination. I'd be looking for 2nd hand deals on them.

2 the bass. I find it lacking in impact compared to certain large sealed box speakers. The manufacturer states that they're 2db down at 70hz and 6db down at 40hz. So it's not particularly extended for a premium priced speaker. I suppose one can't expect miracles from 234mm / 9" bass cones in an unsealed box. For a decent sized room I'd be investigating the 100's or 150's - if I had my heart set on an ATC speaker.

3 they seem to need high volumes to come alive.

And then there's the PMC Fact 8's. The manufacturer claims that they go down to 28hz but doesn't specify a db figure. Is that -12dbs, -18dbs, -24dbs or what? They only have 5 1/2" midrange cones. Where's the bass cones to give you any sort of decent bass down to 28hz?

Possible alternatives - as in other speakers that have a bit of magnificence about them - include: Quad electrostatics, vintage horns / horn hybrids, large sealed box vintage speakers.

The Technics 1200 is a fine turntable. You could always upgrade it with a top arm, cartridge and phono amp if you want to get really good sound from it.

Lindsayt thank you for the input. I am afraid tha 100s and 150s are out of the budget.

No one said anything about the old might SL1200. I was expecting a lot of beating about it (you know pairing a DJ table with a hi fi system) :)

I will research the aulternatives you have proposed !

get a life?

spending this morning playing with my four year old daughter.

Spending this afternoon and evening playing with Kate Rusby.

its interesting that two such similarly bad speakers are hobsons choice here.

what are the other options available?

My personal favourites would be the B&W 802 diamond but they might be a bit out of your budget (depends on how much they go for in your locale)

get a life?

spending this morning playing with my four year old daughter.

Spending this afternoon and evening playing with Kate Rusby.

its interesting that two such similarly bad speakers are hobsons choice here.

what are the other options available?

My personal favourites would be the B&W 802 diamond but they might be a bit out of your budget (depends on how much they go for in your locale)

I was expecting to be blown right out of pants with 802 Ds with top Krell at the helm. Just did not happen for me. Wicked slam but for the money shit this is just make believe where is the PRESENTS of the recording.

well how could it be?

the speakers must be rubbish then if 'top krell' was being used!

I shall reevaluate my opinion based on your findings..

well how could it be?

the speakers must be rubbish then if 'top krell' was being used!

I shall reevaluate my opinion based on your findings..

Then what would change my finding. Did the naim, Classe and Conrad-Johnson thing also. Still the same. I have one of the biggest B&W nut shops to boot. Doctors and lawyers here love the looks of them tho. Look at me I'm serious on my place in your room. Maybe I'm just jealous.

if you can hear no merit in an lp12se / superline / 552 / 500 / 802 system then you have very different priorities to me.

advertisement

Back