advertisement

PMC Fact8 or ATC SCM50 ASL ???

lsegeorge

pfm Member
I have tried searching the forum for a similar comparison but I had no luck, so I decided to post a new discussion

I am in the process of putting together a new stereo system for the house I am currently building.

I leave in Cyprus and auditioning any hifi gear over say £2k is a challenge as the retailers will only import something if you are intending to buy it!

I also have the limitation that quite a few brands have no rep here in Cyprus.

Having done a bit of research I am more excited with the following two options:

Audio Research SL17 €2.100 (£1.750) with
ATC SCM50A SL: €9.000 (£7.550)
Total cost: €11.100 (£9.300)

vs.

Bryston BP-26 €1.700 (£1.450) with
Bryston 4B SST €3.100 (£2.600) with
PMC Fact8 €4.400 (£3.700)
Total cost: €9.200 (£7.750)

I will add a CD player and a Turntable of similar calibre in a year’s time.

I mostly listen to Jazz, Classic Rock, Alternative Rock, Indy, Blues.
I am not worried about the ATC’s being active. I actually like the idea since pairing the speaker with the right amp is more of a hustle for me rather than a pleasant exploration.

The gear will be leaving in a rather large room 23ft * 36ft (7m * 11m) which will not be treated in any way.

I like the looks of both speakers (I prefer ATC, wife prefers PMC)

Does anyone have any experience with this gear? (Especially the speakers).

I have only heard the ATC speakers and am not familiar with the PMC models.

ATC spend a lot of money ensuring that all their speakers sound alike, although, obviously the higher up the range you go the more detail, drive etc, etc you get.

So, you could ask a dealer if its possible to loan you a smaller model - i.e. SCM 19's with a suitable amp to see if that's the sound you like. I am sure you have already read about how uncoloured they are and being studio monitors reveal good and bad points of the recording. For example, on some recordings they sound very bass shy, but on a recording with the bass reproduced correctly you will see they are anything but bass shy. I have read (but not heard) that PMC's do go a little deeper though.

When hearing ATC's for the first time, they may not immediately impress but after time you will appreciate how effortless they are to listen to. They let the music flow without any additional colouring, if this is what you are after I am sure you will not be dissapointed.

One advantage of the ATC 50's, is that they are relatively easy to sell on as they are so well known in both pro and domestic markets and have been around for so long now. So, if later you feel they are not for you, you should be able to find a buyer somewhere in the world.

Good luck.

I just don't get this, you are willing to throw away good money on speakers and Amps you are never going to hear until you buy them on some-one else's say so and live with them without ANY front end for a year???

You like the LOOKS !!! of the speakers??

Just get yerself any Amp / Speaker combo which the mags says is the latest boys toy and you will be in Happy land I can guarantee that.....or...

If you can afford to throw away good money on something you can't even listen to before purchase my advice would be to get on a flight to the UK or even Greece (closer) and with mags and suggestions in hand find a good dealer and listen...go back to Cyprus and find the same there and buy, if not available in Cyprus then strike a deal with the ever haggling Greeks ( love them for that!!)..and sit back and enjoy..

How anyone can tell you what is right for you is just beyond me...

Packtech, thank you for your response.

I have a Cambridge audio 640 CD player and a Technics SL1200 (with some decent cartridges). I will have to live with them for a year or so until I have the cash for a better CD player and vinyl spinner.

I will do my best to listen to the dealers ATC50s, but I am not sure whether I will be able to listen to the Fact8’s. The PMC dealer has some OB1’a in store but I am not sure how they compare to the Fact8’s.

Traveling to shop around for Hi Fi is an excellent idea (very exciting trip) but unlikely to happen any time soon (I have a 2 year old son and an 11 month daughter).

Even if I manage to listen to all the combos I am looking into, I would still appreciate feedback from someone who has been leaving with the speaker for a while.

I fear that what will excite me during a short audition at the store will not necessarily be the best long term set. I was pretty excited with my current speakers (Monitor Audio GS10) when I tested them in store but having leaved with them for three years I find them tiring for long listening sessions (a bit to bright).

Looks matter in everything . This setup will be sitting in my leaving room!

Isegeorge,

It appears your wife has a better sense of style than you :)

I have the same issue as you in terms of not having access to product I can audition, based on where I live.

This is purely my opinion, but I believe the only way to really get gear is a long term evaluation in your own room with your own components.

I wonder how many times folks have walked away from gear they did not care for in a dealers setup, but which may have worked wonders for them in their rooms and with their system? And the opposite, loved what they experienced in a dealer setting, but were disappointed with it in their own setting?

The questions I would ask you are:

What type of presentations have you been drawn to in the past?

What type of presentations have not been as enjoyable for you?

Your room is large. Are you listening to your music, primarily from a 'sweet spot' seating position? Or do you need to fill the entire room since you are moving about in your room, or are at different positions in your room?

Regards,

M.

choosing between pmc and atc is difficult since they are both really rather poor.

go out and listen to some stuff that sounds like music.

Packtech, thank you for your response.

I have a Cambridge audio 640 CD player and a Technics SL1200 (with some decent cartridges). I will have to live with them for a year or so until I have the cash for a better CD player and vinyl spinner.

I will do my best to listen to the dealers ATC50s, but I am not sure whether I will be able to listen to the Fact8’s. The PMC dealer has some OB1’a in store but I am not sure how they compare to the Fact8’s.

Traveling to shop around for Hi Fi is an excellent idea (very exciting trip) but unlikely to happen any time soon (I have a 2 year old son and an 11 month daughter).

Even if I manage to listen to all the combos I am looking into, I would still appreciate feedback from someone who has been leaving with the speaker for a while.

I fear that what will excite me during a short audition at the store will not necessarily be the best long term set. I was pretty excited with my current speakers (Monitor Audio GS10) when I tested them in store but having leaved with them for three years I find them tiring for long listening sessions (a bit to bright).

Looks matter in everything . This setup will be sitting in my leaving room!

I have a 640 V2 and it is collecting dust. The dacmagic for $450 sounds way better even off my I-tunes with the usb. Those PMC fact8 are scary sounding just a bit bass heavy for my taste with the Bryston electronics in charge. Heard a pair with a Nait and was very impressed with the overall sound quality with only the humble nait in charge of air movement.

Hi Magic2

I will be listening to music mostly from the sweet spot sitting position.
Filling the entire room with high volume music is not really necessary.

In terms of describing the presentation I prefer, I am not sure I can speak “hifi” very well.

I will tell you what I hate which I guess is easier. I hate bass that is slow and highs that are exaggerated. I find that these elements impair my listening experience.
I guess we all love a large sound stage and a lot of detail.

I hate bass that is overwhelming. The 4B is that kind of animal. Living in Canada Bryston is the KING with B&W for some reason. ZERO involvement is the reward.

Hi David, What would you rate as music? Any pointers?

Hi Jack no Naim retailer in Cyprus unfortunately! 640 will go eventualy

David,

Do you have a short list?

Thanks,

M.

Ya a pair of IBLs is a good start when you get your front end in order. IBLs are back on my wish list. Why naim dont bring back that rhythmically correct speaker with moder drives is beyond me. Thinking of building a pair on the same bass loading principle. There's just something right about a 5 1/4" drive properly loaded to the right room. I have achieved this to some extent with only PSB alpha B1 $250 with some tweaking of course. The 5 1/4" used in this speaker is the star of the show, sweet mid bass for such a cheap drive.

Isegeorge,

Given your responses:

Advantage with the ATC you are considering, is that you can go DAC/CDP direct to speaker, if you choose the right DAC/CDP. This, however, may result in 'too much honesty', depending on your tastes.

ATC does better played at volume (read louder).

Soundstage is bettered by other speakers. As is air.

If you like 'warm', you will likely find them harsh or cool. If you like a truthful presentation, you will likely appreciate them.

Poor recordings will be unflattered.

They will control bass well.

Since they are active, the downside is you do not get to play with components or cabling. Pluses and minuses here.

M.

Thank you Magic, I will probably involve a Preamp one way or the other.
I want to use the speakers as past of my home cinema setup as well and will probably connect the preout of my AV receiver to one of the inputs. I belive that both preamps have pass through which will allow me to go straight to the power amp or the active speakers ! I will also be connecting a turntable.

The money your prepared to invest in making music in your home is ATC/Benchmark dac1hdr land. Fit and forget at its best. The bench being very revealing with great recorded music and just telling what is crap. On the same lines of what ATC has always been about. Both companies pro lineage on accuracy is a fact.

choosing between pmc and atc is difficult since they are both really rather poor.

go out and listen to some stuff that sounds like music.

Hair are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos and transmit them directly to the brain. This is the reason bald men are so uptight.

My wife is having a baby! Listen, I don't know what my f... acquaintance did to upset you but it's nothing to do with me. I suggest you both go outside and discuss it sensibly, in the street.

advertisement

Back