advertisement

PMC Fact8 or ATC SCM50 ASL ???

choosing between pmc and atc is difficult since they are both really rather poor.

go out and listen to some stuff that sounds like music.

I know this is a matter of personal opinion, but I could not disagree with you more strongly. PMC and ATC make music to my ears!

I did some dem's last last couple of days, some interesting results...... Fact 8's with Bryston amps, for me not the best match, I'd heard the 8's sound better. They lost their openess and clarity that I had enjoyed before. Ironic as they share the same distribution.
Next up were KEF Reference 205/2. These as you would expect with twin 8" bass drivers they had more kick, and offered more openess and claifty, pretty good, but much bigger and more expensive so not really what I was looking for.
Next up were the MA PL200's..... Fairly instantly both myself and the g/f didn't like them, sounded to metalic and ringing, just not natural like the PMC and KEF. To much Hi-Fi sounding.

Later in another venue heard Focal and AudioVector, no idea of the electronics, .... Focal, same as we always hear them, horrid... So clanky, hollow and metalic, we left on room in about 10 seconds of them stricking up, with some violin...oooch !!
The AudioVectors S3iAG/A sounded smooth, sweet and very powerful, plenty of kick in them......... They will be home dem from Tuesday :)

Today heard the smaller Fact3's (pointless idea as they same foot print as 8's) as The 8's were still out on home loan.... This time with Linn Klimax amps, now the virtues of the FACT's were back, as I'd enjoyed before. Sound lovely and tight, clean, open and detailed....
This time matched them against the smaller KEF 203/2... Now these had the clean KEF sound of yesterday, but lacked the involvement and the musicality of the FACT3's.
Seems the KEF sound similar what ever you play them with, the FACT's reveal what your using.... Match with care would be the advise, they weren't good with Naim 500 setup either. The FACT8 are due on home loan later in the week as well :D

£1000 mint, boxed and in black. Got extended warranty and remote control. Bought new from Audio Emotion when i bought my ATC SCM50-ASL's.
Want it? ;)

I've bought some smaller active speakers, ADAM Audio Tensor Delta's to be exact. I may try a Lavry DA11 as i only need two digital inputs, optical and USB. I know this sounds shite but when i buy new kit it all has to have the same colour LED's and is always black. Call it my OC-DC if you wish. :D So if it doesn't sell i may just send it off to Audio Emotion, where i bought it, or SCV, who are the imports and have the blue LED's changed to green to match the one on the Delta's. Or i could get the LED's in the Deltas changed to blue .....

Changed the 50's as they are just too big for new room and for moving about as we're living in rented for a while. Started a development company a while back so we fix, build then sell and move on. Moving 50ASL's around without the crates will lead to damaged speakers. The deltas are 23kg lighter per speaker and fit in a car.

£1000 mint, boxed and in black. Got extended warranty and remote control. Bought new from Audio Emotion when i bought my ATC SCM50-ASL's.
Want it? ;)

That come to $ 1595.94 CAD without shipping and duty. Thats very close to what I can get one new. Suggested USD is $1800. Are Canadian dollar has been par with the American dollar for over a year now.

$ to £ translation on hifi has always been a sticking point for me. The UK retail price is between £1602 -£1821 not seen it cheaper anywhere over here..

Raj,

That was a quick purchase. I assume you've not had a chance to demo Event Opals? I reckon you'd like them.

When and IF i make my mind up, i don't like to hang around ... :D

The Opals just wont look right in a domestic (read married) environment. I've been having enough difficult trying to find good stands for the Delta's. The Opals would be almost impossible other than wall mounting them.

The mid on the three way pmc studio designs doesnt really come out at its best unless they are triamped or activated. driving the bass unit with the same amp as the mid and treble leaves the latter two sounding flat due to the demands of the former driver

The most effective way is to use a second hand 4b st and an 8b-st. Which should cost you around £2000. Then they will really sing. You can probbaly get a pair of ib1s for £2.5k used.

I've got the Fact.8's playing here at home with a Bryston 3BSST2 and am hugely satisfied with the sound. It does show the source limitations though, partnered with a Benchmark DAC Pre it's perfectly open and detailed, my old CD player sounds a lot more 'closed in'. I believe it to be the most 'honest' combination of , not harsh or shrill, nor warm or muddy.

ATC is great too but lacked the wife factor and a wee bit of general 'tightness' esp. in the bass for me.

I've listened to a host of amps with the Facts including tops from muscial fidelity (too closed/wooly), naim (overly dynamic), classe (nice and refined but coloured) and mcintosh (as great as the bryston but out of budget for me)

Of course I am only stating opinions based on my own hearing without any objective facts to back this up ;-)

I have some being delivered for trial on Thursday :D ..... Today the AudioVector arrived.

Question can you have too much refinement ?

Hi 9designs
Are these the Avantgarde s3 audiovectors.

In your speaker quest have you ever demoed any of the Wilson Benesch speakers with your linn kit? Wondered how they would sound. Thinking of trying to listen to the Trinitys or the discovery standmounts as I look to replace my active kabers

Yes S3i Arette, the top model. 6.5K worth :eek:

I tried the Arc's in a demo room. Looking at my demo notes, I didn't make any !!!... Seem to think they were a little cold, flat and lacking life...... I know someone who has Discovery, took them along time to find what they liked..... But the budget keeps going up !!!!........
Plan B is to make my own again, as they are proving so hard to replace/beat.

Hi

Yes not cheap, the Trinitys are a bit more of a bargain at 5k though ;)
just wondered if they would be a bit cold sounding with the Linn amps.

I've had the Arcs and found them to be very vivid with a Naim SN/HC2. Very nice combo with Naim IMO. WB Disco's need monos or more to be at there best. IIRC my old Naim dealer has a client with 4x135's on WB Arcs and loves them.

advertisement

Back