advertisement

PMC Fact8 or ATC SCM50 ASL ???

well how could it be?

the speakers must be rubbish then if 'top krell' was being used!

I shall reevaluate my opinion based on your findings..
The B&W 802s are unfun. I've heard them several times, each time with different amps and they were dramatic, but unfun.

Agree on the B&W flagships, they just do not make it happen for me.

But others love them, and I respect that. Successful company, as well.

Any updates from the OP?

Surprised that no one from the PMC camp has posted their impressions.

The PMC studio range sound better than the domestic or "lifestyle" ranges

Find a used ib1 / ib2 / mb2 and then triamp using a second hand bryston 4b-sst2 for the bass units and then an 8b-sst2 to drive the mids and treble. At a later date buy the bryston crossovers and convert to active. At the front end use the new John Westlake designed audiolab cdq.

The PMC studio range sound better than the domestic or "lifestyle" ranges

Find a used ib1 / ib2 / mb2 and then triamp using a second hand bryston 4b-sst2 for the bass units and then an 8b-sst2 to drive the mids and treble. At a later date buy the bryston crossovers and convert to active. At the front end use the new John Westlake designed audiolab cdq.
has anyone actually heard the 8200 CDQ yet?

I tried a pair of PMC FB1+ for a couple of months, totally overrated and overpriced when new.

Agreed on the over-priced bit. Purchased new, they are pricey. But I believe the same holds for ATC.

Costs of production in the UK are high for established manufacturers, as they are in other Euro countries. Difficult to get around this.

Picked up a beat up FB1+ pair for $800 and was very happy with their performance. I could justify them up to $2500 a pair new street price. After that, a number of others to consider. A bit more for the current 'i'.

Myself, I would not use the term 'overrated' since everyone has their own take and valuation on these things. They can decide. For me, it comes down to what else I can pickup at a certain price-point or less.

Have seen like-new used Fact 8s priced at around $7K in the US. At that price, there sure is a lot of competition for quality music reproduction, even at lesser figures.

It's been said before but when you factor in the amplifiers (which are part of the package) and the sound quality ATC's are one of the best value high end speakers out there.

Benchmark DAC1 HDR + ATC actives is a great combo. Dynamic and smooth sounding with lots of headroom free of any nastiness.

cheers

Tom

The Audio research LS17 and ATC active speakers will not be a good match. AR recommend a minimum load of 20K ohms on their preamps, the ATCs are only 10K ohms.

Whereas the Bryston BP26 preamp will probably be quite a good match for othe ATC actives.

I will have the chance to audition the ATC SCM50s with a AR pre amp at the retailers house. That is his current setup and it is a pearing he recomends !

Has anyone had any experience with this pairing (ATC actives + Audio research pre amp).

Benchmark DAC1 HDR + ATC ASL 50s = the best music I have ever had in over 30 years in this game.

I never heard that combo. But know your are in heavenly bliss. I,m saving for the Bench. As for the ATCs God is punishing me in passive land for the moment. Active ATCs are so right with great recordings its down right criminal.

I will have the chance to audition the ATC SCM50s with a AR pre amp at the retailers house. That is his current setup and it is a pearing he recomends !

AR pairing should be terrific (going off of AR exposure only). May help offer a balance that nudges you, ever so gently, emotionally.

Definitely post your listening notes and experience.

I also use ATC scm50asl's. They get my vote.

Those little drive units on the Fact8 wont fill a large room and will struggle at higher volumes.

Ive owned B&W N803's, PMC IB1's and now the 50asl's. Ive also owned smaller PMC's and ATC's.

As Jek said above, the smaller PMC's aren't a patch on the larger designs.
The IB1 has massive bass potential, but will fall short in the midrange in particular compared to the 50asl.

The IB2 would be a closer match, but retail at nearly the cost of the 50asl. Then you need a potent amplifier capable of driving below 4ohms(Krell FPB etc). So the cost will be far greater than the ATC actives.

advertisement

Back