advertisement

Photos from Kruger National Park, wildlife photos etc....

Another live stream started from Mala Mala (private reserve adjacent to Kruger) Possibly only during lockdown.

20 lions on screen at time of posting!

Been editing a few more from our november trip. These were taken at Cape Vidal. It was the alpha male Sykes monkey in the area around our cabin. He was a persistent blighter and wasn't really scared of me even when I chased him off with a big stick etc. Just kept coming back waiting for opportunities to steal food.

_DSC1721-1 by Colin Bailey, on Flickr_DSC1725-1 by Colin Bailey, on Flickr

_DSC1729 by Colin Bailey, on Flickr

Been editing a few more from our november trip. These were taken at Cape Vidal. It was the alpha male Sykes monkey in the area around our cabin. He was a persistent blighter and wasn't really scared of me even when I chased him off with a big stick etc. Just kept coming back waiting for opportunities to steal food.

_DSC1721-1 by Colin Bailey, on Flickr_DSC1725-1 by Colin Bailey, on Flickr

_DSC1729 by Colin Bailey, on Flickr
Such a stoic look in the last one, but man, he looks like he could be trouble if he wanted to be!

Yes, they can be quite aggressive and they are pretty strong. Trouble is people feeding them. It is strictly forbidden and any that become a real nuisance get shot.

Always strikes you in Kruger - vervet monkeys, and particularly baboons in the wild are fabulous and fascinating (and provided me with some of my favourite photos) and pay very little attention to people. But in the camps and cafes / rest stops they are a total menace and very unpleasant. Incredibly you still see people feeding them (and the birds) right in front of the 'Don't feed the animals' signs. We saw a particularly blatant example of this at Afsaal (a cafe / rest stop in Southern Kruger) in February and I did go over and have a gentle word... Last time we were there even a warthogs was aggressively grabbing food. It's just about the only thing I don't like about our Kruger visits. I guess in lockdown they will have left the camps but are bound to return!

Always strikes you in Kruger - vervet monkeys, and particularly baboons in the wild are fabulous and fascinating (and provided me with some of my favourite photos) and pay very little attention to people. But in the camps and cafes / rest stops they are a total menace and very unpleasant. Incredibly you still see people feeding them (and the birds) right in front of the 'Don't feed the animals' signs. We saw a particularly blatant example of this at Afsaal (a cafe / rest stop in Southern Kruger) in February and I did go over and have a gentle word... Last time we were there even a warthogs was aggressively grabbing food. It's just about the only thing I don't like about our Kruger visits. I guess in lockdown they will have left the camps but are bound to return!

Vervets usurped at rest camps now

https://twitter.com/jolakaziza/status/1257579041147756544/photo/2

Afsaal has a new cleaner

https://twitter.com/FarinaLindeque/status/1257937685106302977/photo/1

There's a water hole not far from Phalaborwa that we go to regularly. You can be surrounded by Vervets and chacma baboons but they take no notice of you. Mind you, if they knew that they were 2 male Lions 100 metres away, they might have made excuses and vanished!

Vervets usurped at rest camps now

https://twitter.com/jolakaziza/status/1257579041147756544/photo/2

Afsaal has a new cleaner

https://twitter.com/FarinaLindeque/status/1257937685106302977/photo/1

There's a water hole not far from Phalaborwa that we go to regularly. You can be surrounded by Vervets and chacma baboons but they take no notice of you. Mind you, if they knew that they were 2 male Lions 100 metres away, they might have made excuses and vanished!
Wow. We were in that pool (now watering hole) in Letaba in February. Lovely camp. We stayed in very nice safari tent cabins there for £31 per night for a spacious 4-bed cabin on the fence line.

Our trip in February included a very wet day in the Park - it was pretty miserable to be honest but our photographer guide Samuel Cox advised we persisted and that poor conditions sometimes led to the better photos... We saw a large troupe of chacma baboons and Sam's photo has been picked as a competition finalist: scroll down to see it: https://africageographic.com/storie...5bArlUmuMrN_RRdRHJsJgqPxYyp06c_3smw2pFzjaFo#4

It's a fabulous shot - black and white, and a very direct with the strong eye contact. Lovely. We were in the same vehicle and here is my photo:

Baboon and child in rain by Ian123_running, on Flickr

I posted it earlier and there was some discussion about whether the Impala in the background add or detracts: Sam's is more tightly cropped (portrait not landscape), and does not have the impala.

Ian

Last edited:
Last time we were at Tamboti there were huge numbers of insects in and around the washroom at night as the lights are on all night. It was like a giant moth/ insect trap and also attracted lots of reptiles and amphibians to feed on them.. Its will be our first stop or a couple of nights again next February when we are back there so expecting to see lots more. Heading on to Letaba and Shingdwezi from there.

advertisement

Back