advertisement

Photos from Kruger National Park, wildlife photos etc....

Rainy season, and we had a totally miserable day with rain all day in an open sided vehicle. We came across a group of baboons, damp and cold, and stopped for quite a while. A memorable sighting for sure.

Baboon and child in rain by Ian123_running, on Flickr

That's really well captured & very atmospheric. I might have been tempted to clone out the gazelle which should be quite straightforward, although some would frown at the idea!

We're travelling through Namibia & Botswana in Aug/Sep, not countries I've visited in the past

That's really well captured & very atmospheric. I might have been tempted to clone out the gazelle which should be quite straightforward, although some would frown at the idea!

We're travelling through Namibia & Botswana in Aug/Sep, not countries I've visited in the past
Thanks John I appreciate that. The pro photographer we were with (Samuel Cox Photography) had a slightly different angle and the Impala was hidden behind the baboons in his shots and he cropped in more closely on the baboons and processed in mono. His made a great photo - but I quite like mine too, with the impala as part of the ambience so I'm sticking with it!

Yes, its been quite wet in South Africa this summer. Just after we got back in December all the gravel roads in Kruger were closed due to flooding. The day we arrived, at the beginning of November, it had just stopped raining but the next day as we drove from Nelspruit to Struwig, via the Panorama Route, it was thick fog. After that it was very hot and sunny until the day we left for Johannesburg to come back when the rain started again. The rain was much needed, though, as even the Mopani was beginning to die.

We came across this scene late in the afternoon - the mother was swinging the afterbirth around and eating it. The professional photographer we were with nearly threw up. The birth must have been just minutes before we saw them, after 22 month gestation.

A difficult shot due too the lighting and vegetation but I think these capture the messy scene OK, and show the newborn taking its first steps. People later saw vultures diving in to clean up the rest of the mess.

Elephant and newborn3 5_02 by Ian123_running, on Flickr

Elephant and newborn2 5_02 by Ian123_running, on Flickr

Mother and newborn, just a few minutes old by Ian123_running, on Flickr

Last edited:

advertisement

Back