advertisement

Photos from Kruger National Park, wildlife photos etc....

ian123running

pfm Member
Several PFM-ers have been to Kruger lately. This was my first trip and it was pretty awesome. It was suggested we have a thread for Kruger (plus maybe other wildlife photos but Kruger will probably keep us busy for a while...)

Here's a Southern carmine bee-eater juggling with a spider (I think) before swallowing it.
Bird_insect by Ian123_running, on Flickr

And an fabulous African hawk-eagle enjoying a feathery snack.

African hawk-eagle_eating side view by Ian123_running, on Flickr

Nikon D7200 / 70-300mm VR / Capture NX-D

Thanks folks - much appreciated. It really was pretty special to have the camera in my hand or within reach 24/7 - if you left it in a room while going for a walk around the camps and you could pretty much guarantee seeing something great like a fabulous bird or view of hippos or crocs, and you'd kick yourself.

The lens does pretty well except wide open - I found it better to stop down one or two stops and accept a higher ISO sensitivity. It was at 300mm about 80% of the time so maybe next time I'd look at something longer / faster. I expected to see more big cameras and lenses - most people seem happy just to use their phones.

We had quite a few big game sightings of course. Elephants, hippos, giraffe, zebra and antelope are everywhere and we saw them daily often in large numbers. White Rhinos were less numerous. We saw this on a ranger-led walk. He'd just emerged from a mud bath shared with three females. The rangers were pretty wary of him.

White rhino_mud by Ian123_running, on Flickr

The giraffe are very beautiful and funky in the wild:

Giraffe_heads by Ian123_running, on Flickr

Ian

Gorgeous images Ian!
Many thanks Amar, Martin and Tarzan - much appreciated.
Yes It would be great to see others' wildlife photos here, whether from Africa or anywhere.

In the meantime.... a slightly-too-close encounter with a very frisky elephant. Not sure if he was in musth but he was pretty lively and we made a hasty retreat - we were in the car luckily.
Elephant splash by Ian123_running, on Flickr

I love your bird pictures - the bee eater captures a brilliant moment.
Thanks gintonic - I was lucky there - a good example of 'right place, right time WITH camera'.

I got a few birds in flight but nothing really special but I do like this stork coming in to land. It was pretty far away.
Saddle_billed stork landing by Ian123_running, on Flickr

And these Rollers are just lovely:

Lilac-breasted roller by Ian123_running, on Flickr

I was there in Kruger and Umbuluzi and Mkuze reserves for the whole of February. Been in the Canary Isalnds since so not really had time to sort the images yet. I will get some done over easter if I can, but we have the builders in at the moment taking down walls to create a large kitchen diner from three rooms and we're rather busy sourcing all the new appliances and choosing worktops, tiles, flooring etc. At least it gives me the opportunity to run cabling for speakers from the music room next door whilst the ceilings are down.

advertisement

Back