advertisement

Phono Stage recommendations

bullshit.jpg
Thank you for contribution , not

It’s funny, Ive got Brooks Vida, and a Paradise and recently had BB3 on loan off a friend. I wouldn’t sell either of my own in favour of BB, but that’s my ears and my system

That’s not saying BB is bad, comparing new it’s a bargain against £3k+ Vida, but we often use uneven playing field and compare new vs 2nd hand. Then ( for me at least) I’ll keep Vida…

That one goes without saying, but as a primarily DIY product I prefer to compare to Vida as it’s a fixed spec commercial product. I’m lucky enough to know 3 Paradises fairly well, they’re slightly different, albeit built by SQ. Still the reference for me.

yeah i wont sell my paradise either :)

lol hi mate,you might be pleasantly surprised if you listened to my BB3 now its got some hours on it and decent valves.
always opened to some listening Jamie but Vida is long gone now (new owner is over the moon btw ) , hopefully sometimes next year as we're going away in a week time .
I'm working on a bit of room correction atm, I might even integrate a subwoofer or two as I have bit of a hole around 70Hz and possibly i'll try to relieve my amplifier a bit from all hard work . Unfortunately bigger amplifier didn't work wonders and it's been returned after a few days but I'm still tempted with something different , we'll see .
If you need any of your valves checked/tested give me a shout .

I have one of these (paid just under £1000 ex-demo) and it was the single most noticeable ‘wow’ upgrade I’ve ever noticed in my system. I was going from a schiit Mani, so can’t comment of how it compares to higher-end stuff. But…a lovely bit of kit.

You jammy so and so! I paid full price and it was worth every penny! Also comparison demo with the next step up in the Avid line of phono pre amps and this was certainly the sweet spot as far as i was concerned. makes the Acutus, SME v, Sumiko sing like a Songbird/Blackbird/Starling haha!:).
Only the messing about with bottom mounted dip switches detracts.:(

It’s funny, Ive got Brooks Vida, and a Paradise and recently had BB3 on loan off a friend. I wouldn’t sell either of my own in favour of BB, but that’s my ears and my system

That’s not saying BB is bad, comparing new it’s a bargain against £3k+ Vida, but we often use uneven playing field and compare new vs 2nd hand. Then ( for me at least) I’ll keep Vida…

Exactly Mark, your own ears are the ultimate decider. Incidentally I still love the Vida, it will always be looked on fondly by me after the time Ian's was wired into Lurchs' system a couple of years ago, the look on everyone's faces who were there was priceless. The reason I started looking elsewhere was that a decent £500 ish SUT or Head amp improved it, some might say that isn't surprising but I expect better from a £3k plus phono stage.
I still haven't actually heard a Paradise yet, I expect it to be very good so we shall see.

I'd strongly suggest the PS Audio Stellar phono which is right around in your price bracket. It's received rave reviews from many publications.

Now, bear in mind, it is from a company who's head designer "...doesn't know what the hell he's talking about..." according to several experts of this Parish...I mean he's had the audacity to design speakers that they can't afford and are judgement-worth, unheard, but that being said, perhaps some of the audio press might be trusted.

;-)

I'd strongly suggest the PS Audio Stellar phono which is right around in your price bracket. It's received rave reviews from many publications.

Now, bear in mind, it is from a company who's head designer "...doesn't know what the hell he's talking about..." according to several experts of this Parish...I mean he's had the audacity to design speakers that they can't afford and are judgement-worth, unheard, but that being said, perhaps some of the audio press might be trusted.

;-)
At £2.5k that one is above my budget

Thanks I will be trying the following to see how it sits in my system.

Electrocompaniet ECP 2 MKII Phono Stage

advertisement

Back