advertisement

PFM's Picture a Week 2024

Another from October 86

Loretto by Pete, on Flickr

that had been my room in 1979 - its occupant at the time hated the boarding school experience as much as I had.
In your final year you got a "bedsit" - not much to it, a bed, a desk and a cupboard, but the first time in maybe eight years you got to sleep on your own - no lock of course. In your penultimate year you had a study, the first space of your own but still slept in a dorm.

I can't remember how I arranged to do this series - I think it must have been through my old Art teacher, there was no sort of vetting or rules imposed. The major change since '79 had been the introduction of girls to the sixth form and I think their boarding house might have been out of bounds. Otherwise I could come and go as I pleased for the week I spent on this. I don't think I had thought through an approach to take.

The above reminds me of a day in 1977. At the end of the Summer term it had been a thing to drink on the last nights. Someone had been caught bringing alcohol into school the previous day and it was announced that there would be an amnesty for anyone that handed in any alcohol by 6 that evening after that the penalty would be expulsion. Instead bottles and cans appeared from under floorboards and other hiding places and were consumed, by mid-afternoon half the school were smashed.
there's an album of the school shots here

I can't remember how I arranged to do this series - I think it must have been through my old Art teacher, there was no sort of vetting or rules imposed. The major change since '79 had been the introduction of girls to the sixth form and I think their boarding house might have been out of bounds. Otherwise I could come and go as I pleased for the week I spent on this. I don't think I had thought through an approach to take.

The above reminds me of a day in 1977. At the end of the Summer term it had been a thing to drink on the last nights. Someone had been caught bringing alcohol into school the previous day and it was announced that there would be an amnesty for anyone that handed in any alcohol by 6 that evening after that the penalty would be expulsion. Instead bottles and cans appeared from under floorboards and other hiding places and were consumed, by mid-afternoon half the school were smashed.

I enjoyed the album very much, it's a great photojournalist record of that time, cheers for the link.

I love the flikr series, I wish I'd done something like that, but I hadn't quite yet been bitten by the photography bug, I was still living some kind of a fantasy about becoming a 'proper' artist. The photos are fantastic, and hideously familiar. Those kids must all in their late 50s and 60s now, which is weird.

Bonnie Dundee...

Camera...Lubitel 166 Film Lomography 120-100 asa. This film lends itself to (in this case) simple Picasa tools...

1-jq5a2c.jpg

:cool:

advertisement

Back