advertisement

PFM's Picture a Week 2024

IMG-0053.jpg
IMG-0052.jpg
Lovely Hebden Bridge today

Having bought a pile of darkroom equipment at auction back in September, and then spending a fortune on filling gaps and replacing worn out or second rate items (transformer, lens, bulbs, filters, trays etc etc) - and, of course, paper, I've been slowly learning and relearning the ropes. Multigrade papers and filters were in their not so good infancy when I last spent serious time in a darkroom 40 odd years ago. Thankfully we now have youtube, which has been an absolute Godsend, and I bought a copy of Tim Rudman's fine tome, but by crikey the learning curve is long and expensive.

I particularly struggled with RC paper, as it seems to need so little time under the enlarger, and the results weren't differentiating themselves sufficiently from those from my faithful Epson 3880, so I finally took the plunge (ouch) into a couple of boxes of 10x8 Ilford Warmtine FB. Oh, what a beautiful thing it is too, slow to work, but it rewards patience, and it is a visual and tactile treat. I think I'm beginning to climb out of the abyss, but I have no doubt I'll trip over on those words in no time at all. If I can just get on top of the basics in the first few months of this year, I think I'm going to stretch myself on one of the great Andrew Sanderson's workshops before he draws stumps on them at the end of 2024.

z7Qs4G.jpg

V7jdCi.jpg

JxhOP8.jpg

Having bought a pile of darkroom equipment at auction back in September, and then spending a fortune on filling gaps and replacing worn out or second rate items (transformer, lens, bulbs, filters, trays etc etc) - and, of course, paper, I've been slowly learning and relearning the ropes. Multigrade papers and filters were in their not so good infancy when I last spent serious time in a darkroom 40 odd years ago. Thankfully we now have youtube, which has been an absolute Godsend, and I bought a copy of Tim Rudman's fine tome, but by crikey the learning curve is long and expensive.

I particularly struggled with RC paper, as it seems to need so little time under the enlarger, and the results weren't differentiating themselves sufficiently from those from my faithful Epson 3880, so I finally took the plunge (ouch) into a couple of boxes of 10x8 Ilford Warmtine FB. Oh, what a beautiful thing it is too, slow to work, but it rewards patience, and it is a visual and tactile treat. I think I'm beginning to climb out of the abyss, but I have no doubt I'll trip over on those words in no time at all. If I can just get on top of the basics in the first few months of this year, I think I'm going to stretch myself on one of the great Andrew Sanderson's workshops before he draws stumps on them at the end of 2024.

z7Qs4G.jpg

V7jdCi.jpg

JxhOP8.jpg
Bringing back fond memories of my own time in a make-shift dark-room (cupboard) at my parent’s, with a “Gnome II” enlarger gifted by an uncle. I found it really exciting, but never relaxing, because I would get into a kind of creative frenzy trying to get a better and better image from my (poorly exposed) negatives and always feeling short of time and waiting for an impatient knock on the door.

(I was going to add a crude comment about having my hands inside the “Granny’s Knickers” changing-bag for loading 35mm film onto the developer tank spools but I’m above that kind of thing)

Bringing back fond memories of my own time in a make-shift dark-room (cupboard) at my parent’s, with a “Gnome II” enlarger gifted by an uncle. I found it really exciting, but never relaxing, because I would get into a kind of creative frenzy trying to get a better and better image from my (poorly exposed) negatives and always feeling short of time and waiting for an impatient knock on the door.

(I was going to add a crude comment about having my hands inside the “Granny’s Knickers” changing-bag for loading 35mm film onto the developer tank spools but I’m above that kind of thing)

Yes, it's certainly something that can't be rushed!

I've converted the very inadequate dining room in my rented cottage into a temporary darkroom, but I would trust in sufficiently to handle undeveloped film, so I'm still using granny's old drawers for that bit.

z7Qs4G.jpg

V7jdCi.jpg

JxhOP8.jpg
your test prints are huge! Buy a test strip maker and save pounds! :)

your test prints are huge! Buy a test strip maker and save pounds! :)

Yes, does look a bit daft, but smaller ones in the first pic are only 5x7 RC, and at that size I was learning much more by printing tests of the whole frame. The exposure times were also way to short, even stopping right down. The larger ones are 10x8, with which I'm doing proper test strips at two-three grades and then a full-sized working print. Those shown are final prints on 10x8 warmtone mgfb.

I used to love the darkroom! Making dodge and burn tools with bits of shaped card and coat hanger, thinking you had it in the right spot, turning the enlarger back on to find yourself too high with half the image blacked out, counting ‘one potato, two potato’…I built my first darkroom in ‘83 and after two more, but was still learning when I went digital 16 years later. Men in converted bathrooms have all my admiration!!

I used to love the darkroom! Making dodge and burn tools with bits of shaped card and coat hanger, thinking you had it in the right spot, turning the enlarger back on to find yourself too high with half the image blacked out, counting ‘one potato, two potato’…I built my first darkroom in ‘83 and after two more, but was still learning when I went digital 16 years later. Men in converted bathrooms have all my admiration!!

I stopped using a darkroom after my kids were born, just went over to colour prints for the family snaps and lost interest in 'proper' photography to a great degree. I bought my first DSLR in 2007 and quickly picked up interest again. I started to creep back into film about 8 years ago, almost entirely B&W with a hybrid workflow - developing the films and scanning into the digital realm using Nikon Coolscans, and printing using Epson Pro printers. The urge to set up a darkroom has been building momentum for a while. I'm fortunate in that I have a small former dining room which has adapted easily to a darkroom, so everything is ready and on standby whenever I feel inclined to spend an hour or two in there, all I need to do is pour the chems, flick the safelight on, and I'm away.

advertisement

Back