advertisement

PFM's Picture a Week 2024

(*though now when I look at that, I think my custom curve, which is a quite serious S shape, gives an ugly HDR-like glow around the cranes and masts of the ship; these aren't on the original negative, and must be the result of my pushing things a bit far to lift the negative. I am starting to think the real mastery of scanning is in the post-production, rather than physically taking a sharp copy shot (which, now that I have a decent lightbox and a negative holder, isn't really that difficult)

(*though now when I look at that, I think my custom curve, which is a quite serious S shape, gives an ugly HDR-like glow around the cranes and masts of the ship; these aren't on the original negative, and must be the result of my pushing things a bit far to lift the negative. I am starting to think the real mastery of scanning is in the post-production, rather than physically taking a sharp copy shot (which, now that I have a decent lightbox and a negative holder, isn't really that difficult)
The number of times I’ve looked at a processed image and realised that I’ve gone too far… nice to know I’m not alone!

I definitely need to get my 'analogue scan post processing' mojo workin'.... oddly enough, SWMBO did this professionally as part of a national archive for most of her career, so I have something of an expert in the house, albeit one who would rather take iPhone snaps of the dogs than go anywhere near a calibrated scanning setup! I did ask, and she has offered to show me how they would work with negs (up to 10x8 sheet) and glass plates using their enormous copy setup and Hasselbladified grandeur....

(secretly, I'm well-chuffed at how the scan went, and know that I'll nail the histogram expansion via curves eventually.)

New toy (RF 200-800mm) test with target across road on top of roof:

ix443SX.jpg

800mm handheld.

advertisement

Back