advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
On our dog-walk earlier we spotted some interesting icicles on a branch over a stream

171399152.nswc0gaS.080221_02.jpg

Something a bit different, this was scanned from 35mm negative on an Epson V600, taken in 1996 on Canon EOS1000F standard kit 35-70 zoom, Kodak Gold 200

I owned this 1977 TVR from 1990 to 2003, covered many thousands of miles (including over 70 trackdays!), and for a period in 1990/91 it was my daily driver. I mechanically rebuilt it in 1992 and continued to modify it throughout my ownership, taking the lazy Ford Essex from 138bhp to over 200bhp. I loosened the rocker studs competing in a Sprint at Goodwood in 2001 (I did beat my mate by 0.5 second so it was worth it!) and from then on the car really needed another full engine rebuild. With two small children and a house move, I decided to sell it in 2003, keeping the many memories - I kept the plate and sold that separately - the car went through a dealer and then was rebought and still in the same ownership today.

TVR Taimar
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

Something a bit different, this was scanned from 35mm negative on an Epson V600, taken in 1996 on Canon EOS1000F standard kit 35-70 zoom, Kodak Gold 200

I owned this 1977 TVR from 1990 to 2003, covered many thousands of miles (including over 70 trackdays!), and for a period in 1990/91 it was my daily driver. I mechanically rebuilt it in 1992 and continued to modify it throughout my ownership, taking the lazy Ford Essex from 138bhp to over 200bhp. I loosened the rocker studs competing in a Sprint at Goodwood in 2001 (I did beat my mate by 0.5 second so it was worth it!) and from then on the car really needed another full engine rebuild. With two small children and a house move, I decided to sell it in 2003, keeping the many memories - I kept the plate and sold that separately - the car went through a dealer and then was rebought and still in the same ownership today.

TVR Taimar

Very nice indeed..This looks very like a TVR 3000s Turbo, I had a play with when I was a young petrol head..It had an Essex blue printed engine and I believe was one of only a dozen in the world, because of the turbo that was on it..If I remember correctly, the guy who designed the turbo for that model died shortly afterwards and the turbo was no longer produced..It was frightening as the turbo stayed in long after your foot was removed from the accelerator ...The car rode like it was on rails. It was a stunning car to drive...The car I drove belonged to a guy called Dave Davis..who bought the car from David Gerald in Blackpool., which is where TVR were located at the time..A car you never forget..

@mad-moon

Thrte were 63 Turbochraged M series cars, 20 Ms, 30 Taimars and 13 convertibles- the engine was developed by Broadspeed Engineering. David Gerald (Inkberrow) bought the rights to the Pre-1980 cars during the 80s, but TVR continued in Blackpool until the mid 2000s. The turbos were quite an experience to drive, real old school technology, boost would arrive a few seconds after pressing the loud pedal!! Fun cars

@mad-moon

Thrte were 63 Turbochraged M series cars, 20 Ms, 30 Taimars and 13 convertibles- the engine was developed by Broadspeed Engineering. David Gerald (Inkberrow) bought the rights to the Pre-1980 cars during the 80s, but TVR continued in Blackpool until the mid 2000s. The turbos were quite an experience to drive, real old school technology, boost would arrive a few seconds after pressing the loud pedal!! Fun cars

Yeah..it was a rag top..so there was 13 of them?... was it a different turbo in this car to the rest of them, or was I misinformed?? We had this car for a few months. We stripped it, shot blasted the chassis and had it powder coated then had the interior re-trimmed, in a lovey mid blue leather with a pale blue piping and deep blue carpet..I seem to remember the car was finished in a very deep blue metallic finish and the wheels were like jet engine veins. It was a fabulous motor car, I loved it.

Yeah..it was a rag top..so there was 13 of them?... was it a different turbo in this car to the rest of them, or was I misinformed?? We had this car for a few months. We stripped it, shot blasted the chassis and had it powder coated then had the interior re-trimmed, in a lovey mid blue leather with a pale blue piping and deep blue carpet..I seem to remember the car was finished in a very deep blue metallic finish and the wheels were like jet engine veins. It was a fabulous motor car, I loved it.

The factory made 13 convertibles (3000S), of which one was an SE - flared arches, split rim Compomotives, different interior - that car was built for Martin Lilley the then owner of TVR, subsequently some other cars were converted to Turbos and some ‘upgraded’ to SEs (but not by the factory) - the original SE us now with one of my friends in Scotland.

Other than the SE all factory convertibles left the factory with Wolfrace slotted alloys, but some got changed by later owners to the finned alloys

The TVR M turbos were the worlds first turbo production car, previous Turbos like the BMW 2002 Turbo were limited editions, this in later years caused Saab to have to change their advertising campaign to the worlds first ‘saloon’ production car!!

The 3000M also was the first car to hit MIRAs brick wall at 30mph and still be able to steer afterwards, that said the bonnet was nowhere to be seen!! The spare wheel was in the nose and the engine moved back for better weight distribution.

I'm not surprised - there's clearly something very special about it. Effortless and natural are the words that come to mind :)

Nail > head. I was so cynical about the Df on its release, seeing it as a rather half-baked attempt at appealing to the more hipster-orientated market niche. Having lived with mine for a while, getting used to its menus (which are typical Nikon anyway, ie 'just right') and handling, its feel etc I've had to eat humble pie big style. Not it's not for everyone, but as an image making machine that's so damn nice to use, it's one hell of a tool. Mattius Burling is a huge fan of the Df, and I can totally understand why.

I think that the files are beautiful, they seem to have something indefinably 'special'. Am I right, or just imagining it, it should be hard to tell at Internet resolution?

I used to love the files from my very humble Nikon D80, some of my best photos taken on that rather lightweight camera. It must be something to do with the older sensors perhaps?

Nail > head. I was so cynical about the Df on its release, seeing it as a rather half-baked attempt at appealing to the more hipster-orientated market niche. Having lived with mine for a while, getting used to its menus (which are typical Nikon anyway, ie 'just right') and handling, its feel etc I've had to eat humble pie big style. Not it's not for everyone, but as an image making machine that's so damn nice to use, it's one hell of a tool. Mattius Burling is a huge fan of the Df, and I can totally understand why.

As is Mark Littlejohn

TVR Taimar

I bought a Taimar new in 1980 when I was a committee member of the TVR Car Club. One of around 10 that I owned over the years. It broke down on the second day of ownership but not TVR's fault, broken alternator.

First was an original V6 Tuscan, last was a 390i convertible. Scariest, an original V8 Tuscan that lasted about a month before I got shot.

I regularly visited the factory and enjoyed our car club committee meetings in Warwick where we met on Friday and left Sunday evening. Just one long weekend piss up led by Stuart Halstead, sales director in those days. Stuart took me for a trip in the prototype Tasmin Turbo. Jeez, was that quick but nothing like the factory demonstrator V8 390i that Stuart asked me to drive back from London to the factory when I was collecting a new car. It had an engine from a race car, ultra lightweight body and motorbike silencer. You only think TVR's made a great noise. This was an extraordinary car which could spun wheels in third.

I knew David Gerald (2 people) well at the time, before they went into business selling TVR's. Great guys.

I bought a Taimar new in 1980 when I was a committee member of the TVR Car Club. One of around 10 that I owned over the years. It broke down on the second day of ownership but not TVR's fault, broken alternator.

First was an original V6 Tuscan, last was a 390i convertible. Scariest, an original V8 Tuscan that lasted about a month before I got shot.

I regularly visited the factory and enjoyed our car club committee meetings in Warwick where we met on Friday and left Sunday evening. Just one long weekend piss up led by Stuart Halstead, sales director in those days. Stuart took me for a trip in the prototype Tasmin Turbo. Jeez, was that quick but nothing like the factory demonstrator V8 390i that Stuart asked me to drive back from London to the factory when I was collecting a new car. It had an engine from a race car, ultra lightweight body and motorbike silencer. You only think TVR's made a great noise. This was an extraordinary car which could spun wheels in third.

I knew David Gerald (2 people) well at the time, before they went into business selling TVR's. Great guys.

Interesting, I didn't get involved in the TVRCC until 1990, but I suspect several people I know you know (Colin Lyons, Adrian Venn, John Simpson, Russ Wood.....) I too was a serial owner with a range of cars culminating in a 96 Griffith500. That Tuscan V8 would be worth a bob or two now.....................

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back