advertisement

pfm Health Club

After Christmas I was 16st 5lb (I'm 54 and 6ft) so technically obese. The label didn't bother me but I realised that I was getting breathless after even minor exertion, so I resolved to lose weight. The plan was simple, to eat less food (basically sticking to 3 meals a day with smaller portions and eliminating all in-between snacking), cut down on alcohol, and take up some exercise. I've always enjoyed walking and to that I've added an exercise bike.

Four months later I'm 13st 12lb and feel so much better. I think anyone can do it, you don't need a faddy diet, but you have to really want to do it and have the determination or will power to see it through. And don't beat yourself up over the odd lapse here or there, just get back on with the programme!

That’s great progress. How often do you exercise, how long is each session and what’s the mix of bike/walk or other?

Four months later I'm 13st 12lb and feel so much better. I think anyone can do it, you don't need a faddy diet, but you have to really want to do it and have the determination or will power to see it through. And don't beat yourself up over the odd lapse...
Hear hear. This is 95% of it. You have to want it. Enough to get on the programme and stay with it.

I've found I gain weight if I have breakfast, and lose weight if I just have coffee. I assume what happens is the coffee eliminates the feeling of hunger, so the stomach shrinks and there is less feeling of hunger, and at subsequent meals a smaller amount of food is satisfying.
Don't you live in Italy? The Italian breakfast is a nutritionist 's nightmare. Coffee and a cake. It's rubbish. In addition I think the overnight fast is a good way of making the body use its energy reserves.

That’s great progress. How often do you exercise, how long is each session and what’s the mix of bike/walk or other?
You know what, I don't think it matters. I think a brisk stroll at some point and a 10 minute go on the bike later, or a single longer session on either, will do the job. We nt talking about Olympic athlete stuff here, we're talking about a middle aged bloke taking control of his life, losing some weight and getting fitter. As he says, it's about getting on the programme, staying on the horse and if you fall off you don't beat yourself up, you get back with it. As I keep banging on, it's not about what goes on under your belt but what goes on between your ears. Get that bit right and what goes on under your belt will look after itself.

My weight loss regime seems to have stalled at the moment, but I'm not gaining weight, so that's good.

Keeping up my exercises though so I have gained some more muscle mass.

My downfall really is beer (see Beer at Home thread). I only drink at weekends. I know that if I gave that up I'd lose a few more kgs but I need something to look forward to to get me through the week.

I think Steve's right, I'm not sure it really matters. I try to walk every other day, typically a brisk walk of 40 - 60 minutes duration. This is no chore as I really enjoy walking. I used to do a lot or rambling/hiking, in my 30s I did a week on the Pennine Way with some friends, we achieved about 120 miles (going north from Edale if anyone's interested, highly recommended).

Regarding the exercise bike, that's every day. In the beginning 10 minutes was enough and I'd be tired, now I've increased the resistance and do 30 minutes easily which just goes to show how quickly you start to regain your fitness. The display indicates that I've burnt 200 calories but I've no idea how accurate this is so just use it as an indication.

I think Steve's right, I'm not sure it really matters. I try to walk every other day, typically a brisk walk of 40 - 60 minutes duration. This is no chore as I really enjoy walking. I used to do a lot or rambling/hiking, in my 30s I did a week on the Pennine Way with some friends, we achieved about 120 miles (going north from Edale if anyone's interested, highly recommended).

Regarding the exercise bike, that's every day. In the beginning 10 minutes was enough and I'd be tired, now I've increased the resistance and do 30 minutes easily which just goes to show how quickly you start to regain your fitness. The display indicates that I've burnt 200 calories but I've no idea how accurate this is so just use it as an indication.

Thanks - I would respectfully say it does matter - most people aren't doing 30 mins/day on a bike and an hour's walking every other day. I'd say that frequency and (moderate) intensity really makes an impact.

I certainly have learnt "you can't run off a bad diet" - but equally I am learning that you do get to a virtuous circle where a little weight loss allows me to run further, which encourages me to eat well and then lose a little more and then run again. I have certainly struggled in the past where I have seen exercise as something of a challenge and the reward would be a treat. That simply was wrong for me. I realise now I need 3+ decent sessions per week and try to find a way to be generally active (like walking to the local shop vs. car) to squeeze in other exercise too. And be mindful of what I eat of course. Dropping sugar/white/refined carbs means that I have found myself way less hungry than ever before - that's been a total surprise to me.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I meant to say, I'm not sure that the mix matters, rather than the frequency of getting some exercise more or less every day. It was a chore at first but now I don't mind. Agree 100% with your 2nd para.

Hear hear. This is 95% of it. You have to want it. Enough to get on the programme and stay with it.

Don't you live in Italy? The Italian breakfast is a nutritionist 's nightmare. Coffee and a cake. It's rubbish. In addition I think the overnight fast is a good way of making the body use its energy reserves.

Yes. I usually have a medium size cup of coffee after a small bowl of raw oats with a few raisins that have soaked overnight in cold milk, and a fresh orange juice (don't get me going on places where you order a fresh orange juice and they bring you something they say they squeezed in the early morning! Sometimes, I suspect, from some horrible frozen concentrate).

The "cake" you mention is called a "Cornetto" and is the Italian equivalent of a croissant, it can be much improved by splitting it and putting whipped cream into it. How's that for a nutritionist's nightmare? But it is delicious...

Come to think of it, a PFM rowing regatta on water would be hilarious! A bunch of nutters of all ages, shapes, sizes, falling in the water, bumping into each other, with the Mods as umpires, of course.

Ah yes, Un cornetto. I have ordered a few in the cafe just opposite Napoli Centrale, just off Piazza Garibaldi. "Buon giorno. Un cappucino e un cornetto, per favori." Maybe I even open with "Salve" if I'm feeling confident, or "Buon giorn'" if I want to play the Calabrian.

Ah yes, Un cornetto. I have ordered a few in the cafe just opposite Napoli Centrale, just off Piazza Garibaldi. "Buon giorno. Un cappucino e un cornetto, per favori." Maybe I even open with "Salve" if I'm feeling confident, or "Buon giorn'" if I want to play the Calabrian.

I think you're letting the side down a bit there, should you just be shouting it in English very slowly?

I think you're letting the side down a bit there, should you just be shouting it in English very slowly?
I should really. Mind you I think I would need to travel am hour south to Sorrento and pick up the Amalfi coast, then I can very much do my "stupido Inglese" to good effect. The problem with Naples is that being a big city if you do the shouting tourist bit you just get ignored. I spend a bit of time in Calabria, which is 3 hours south of Napoli and neighbours Sicily. This area sees a good few Italian tourists but very few Inglese so again you are on a hiding to nothing if you can't get some form of Italian out.

Regards “exercise”, I now fervently believe that my biggest problem through the years is a generally inactive predisposition. Unless I’m doing something specific, I’m fairly static.

When I was young I was into my sports, so was always active enjoying those things. Since my thirties I’ve been mostly work-busy, which means sitting still at a desk.

I’m now walking or rowing most days, which is a help, but I’m also trying to “move” a little more!

Wow, this is a busy place!

@Steve. Are you the chap who sold me my James Audio mains conditioner? If so I'll shut up :-s

I still can't see how fat can be dissolved without acetone.

that reference about 'Engineering' is not really valid as I know for a fact PFMs most prolific 'Engineer' is merely an elderly/ highly experienced repair technician... Another subject.

Wow, this is a busy place!

@Steve. Are you the chap who sold me my James Audio mains conditioner? If so I'll shut up :-s
Not guilty. Never had one. Mine's a Belkin and not for sale.

I still can't see how fat can be dissolved without acetone.
Christ, in any number of ways. I have textbooks on it. In biochemistry fat is hydrolysed to free fatty acids and glycerol, the FFAs are then dismantled 2 carbon atoms at a time, turned into acetyl CoA and this is thrown into the TCA cycle (Krebs cycle). Ketone body production in high concentrations in the body is rare, under normal circumstances the ketone bodies generated by lipolysis, of which acetone is one, are metabolized, because to do otherwise would be wasteful of energy. Biological systems will go to great lengths to avoid wasting energy. In addition ketones are toxic, the body cannot keep them on board. Acetone is oxidised to, guess what, Ac CoA, and it gets thrown into TCA, see above.

Acetone is not a solvent in this system but a reagent. That's the very first thing to understand.

No more chemistry lessons, if you want to know more look up Lehninger, Principles of Biochemistry. It's the undergraduate biochemists bible, you reach for that first and leap off from there.
that reference about 'Engineering' is not really valid as I know for a fact PFMs most prolific 'Engineer' is merely an elderly/ highly experienced repair technician... Another subject.
Excuse me? There are a number of time served, highly qualified elec engineers on here, if you think you can tell them how a crossover works or anything else along those lines on the back of a few you tube videos then you are a fool.

Nope, I bought the conditioner off a chap called Pete.

I've an MSc, a BEng and I've very nearly got myself an ATPL - I don't need you tube to tell me that the 'suspension' of an LP12 is nonsense and unlike 95% of British society I know the difference between a fitter and an Engineer.

That's enough for me - I'm off for a run
WB, you should do the same

The old lock down has meant I have been eating three square meals a day. I am DIY'ing like mad and we do the jo wick thing every day, have done since he started. I am hitting 10k steps and my exercise goals.

Breakfast is almost always two slices toast with marmite and butter, white bread of course. Every day without fail I have made soup for the family most every other day I make bread too. thats lunch, then a probably larger than I should dinner, hand made.

I have lost 4lb, and still drink like a trooper, need to sort that out as well, but one step at a time!

One way, a brutal and pitiless way, of encouraging oneself is to look at oneself naked in a full length mirror. I find it produces force of character and determination in eating less and exercising more.

[2020-01-26] 141.1kg
[2020-02-29] 138.3kg
[2020-03-07] 136.5kg 2000m in 9:50
[2020-03-14] 135.2kg 2000m in 9:45.6
[2020-03-21] 133.7kg
[2020-03-28] 133.1kg 3000m in 14:24.0
[2020-04-04] 132.0kg 2000m in 9:36.0
[2020-04-11] 130.9kg
[2020-04-18] 130.7kg
[2020-04-25] 129.7kg
[2020-05-02] 129.0kg
[2020-05-09] 128.1kg