advertisement

pfm Health Club

Don't take the bmi to seriously I'm 5'7 12stone 8 apparently overweight for my height. I'm 32 waist go figure. Everyone appears to be doing pretty good, keep at it I can only be beneficial health wise :)

Don't take the bmi to seriously I'm 5'7 12stone 8 apparently overweight for my height. I'm 32 waist go figure. Everyone appears to be doing pretty good, keep at it I can only be beneficial health wise :)

When I was last 12st 8, 6' tall, I was around 18, some 52 years ago. Fairly big boned as they say, but had plenty of surplus lard.

I do get where you are coming from, BMI is sort of useless, even my GP thinks it is far from suitable for all, not sure there could ever be one

91kg this week. Steadily getting there.

Well done. That's a remarkable amount of weight you've shifted. You must feel much better. May I ask whether your blood pressure has dropped? I would imagine so... Your organs will be thanking you. Keep it up

Strewth it's getting hard to shift the weight now. I know I could stop drinking alcohol altogether, but that's one of the few pleasures left to me now, a pint of beer to celebrate getting through another week.

Anyway I have finally made it under the 200lb mark, I weighed in at 14st 3.5lbs this morning!

Strewth it's getting hard to shift the weight now. I know I could stop drinking alcohol altogether, but that's one of the few pleasures left to me now, a pint of beer to celebrate getting through another week.

Anyway I have finally made it under the 200lb mark, I weighed in at 14st 3.5lbs this morning!

I remember that, getting to 195lb and then nothing would shift it further. Very difficult stage. I never made it further and sadly fell off the wagon but am back on it again now.

Been a tad lax of late. Slobbed around the last couple of weeks after garden duties slowed.

Weight only 4/5 lbs over lowest weight in yonks, happy with that.

Back on the exercise bike and rower, 5 or so minutes both, will build on this

Well, keep going. It's all about the psychology, as I keep banging on. The bit that worked for me was retaining the pint of beer and a proper dinner but only if I'd been good all week. That way you have an incentive, you do the job but still get your beer.

On reflection, since restarting the regime, albeit slowly, I just feel tighter, if that makes sense. Still fat round the belly, but if feels more compact!

I have come to the conclusion that my lungs will not improve much,if at all
New tactics is 2-3 minutes on the bike flat out, and around 3 mins to recover on both the machines, then 2 mins on the rower, achieving now over 450m, will settle for that
Also do a few minutes of yoga, chest expansions, and gentle stretching exercises first thing
Walking not too good for me in the damp winters, roll on frosty mornings and the spring
Weight is holding at 15.5 stones, that will do till next years effort.

I have come to the conclusion that my lungs will not improve much,if at all
New tactics is 2-3 minutes on the bike flat out, and around 3 mins to recover on both the machines, then 2 mins on the rower, achieving now over 450m, will settle for that
Also do a few minutes of yoga, chest expansions, and gentle stretching exercises first thing
Walking not too good for me in the damp winters, roll on frosty mornings and the spring
Weight is holding at 15.5 stones, that will do till next years effort.

Try varying your workouts, you need to do a mixture of things to see improvement. Try a 20 minute easy bike ride one day, make your intervals shorter as well, do 1 minute on, 1 minute off and do it three times the first week, 4 times the second week, 5x the third, then up it to 1:30 repeat and then 2 minutes until you get to 3 minutes fast three slow.

My running plans all seem to feature the following activities and it does work:

1 long run
1 set of intervals
1 fast shorter run
1 easy recovery run

If you base your plan around that I’m sure you’ll see some improvements. Go gradually though, you need to build capacity. Plodding slowly for two hours on a Sunday means my lungs are building what they need for the hard work runs during the week. When I started my first 10k was 1:18 or so. I just knocked out a 53 minute one. It’s taken four years though since I started the journey as a 17 stone fat bastard :)

Try varying your workouts, you need to do a mixture of things to see improvement. Try a 20 minute easy bike ride one day, make your intervals shorter as well, do 1 minute on, 1 minute off and do it three times the first week, 4 times the second week, 5x the third, then up it to 1:30 repeat and then 2 minutes until you get to 3 minutes fast three slow.

My running plans all seem to feature the following activities and it does work:

1 long run
1 set of intervals
1 fast shorter run
1 easy recovery run

If you base your plan around that I’m sure you’ll see some improvements. Go gradually though, you need to build capacity. Plodding slowly for two hours on a Sunday means my lungs are building what they need for the hard work runs during the week. When I started my first 10k was 1:18 or so. I just knocked out a 53 minute one. It’s taken four years though since I started the journey as a 17 stone fat bastard :)

Unfortunately, none of your suggestions can apply to me. I have a lung condition, which will not improve! If I could run, believe me I would, but I cannot sustain it,
only short bursts as in a game of tennis, sometimes even a rally would make me breathless and immobile.

Unfortunately, none of your suggestions can apply to me. I have a lung condition, which will not improve! If I could run, believe me I would, but I cannot sustain it,
only short bursts as in a game of tennis, sometimes even a rally would make me breathless and immobile.

Sorry to hear that. I was hoping the general principles would transfer to your cycling and rowing. You’re doing a great job keep at it.

advertisement

Back