advertisement

P&O Ferries Scandal

If the government has failed to protect workers by weakening protections (unions, feeble employment law, etc) then perhaps people have to take matters upon themselves. Boycotts of companies, boycotts of sister companies or businesses in the same ownership, that sort of thing. Our economic power as consumers is perhaps the only effective weapon we have left. What we need is for somebody like Led By Donkeys, or GLP, or similar, to start compiling lists of who owns what, and put the squeeze on. Last time I looked, it wasn't illegal to decide not to spend money, even under the new anti-protest legislation.
Or don’t vote for such c*nts in the first place.

Sanction the bastards, take away all their trophies, all Man City fans are…etc etc
Tut tut , I was illustrating the fact these companies/ owners/ sovereign wealth fund has its fingers in lots of pies. if I worked at the Etihad I’d now feel less secure...

Congratulations! I was a case worker for years too it's a very tough role.
Thank you. In my case I was in education, not conducive to a good nights sleep to go from teaching Art to a load of kids one day to facing a trained Barrister across a table the next. Not sure which was most scary mind.

Tut tut , I was illustrating the fact these companies/ owners/ sovereign wealth fund has its fingers in lots of pies. if I worked at the Etihad I’d now feel less secure...
Apologies, I might have gotten a tad irrational there!

It’s been emotional.

Good Morning All,

Whilst not directly related I was employed by Petrofac (a Sharjah based organisation) a few years ago under a contract that stated we weren't "allowed" to have another job. This was quite clearly unenforceable in what was then EU/ UK law but didn't stop them from including it in the contract.

During a 3 week leave period I did a rig move which involved my flying out by helicopter. My return to my regular work was less than a week later so this extracurricular activity was 'flagged' and I was invited to attend Petrofac's office for what turned out to be a disciplinary affair which I was given no prior warning of.

Suspecting this was the likely course I contacted the firm I had done the extra work for who were quite happy to offer some handy legal advice. In addition to the bit about my being engaged in a second job being unenforceable the work I had carried out wasn't actually by me but my limited company (of which I am the sole employee) and it was this bit that threw a 'spanner in the works' as far as Petrofac were concerned.

Part way through the meeting I was asked to leave the room whilst a call was made to Sharjah. Much as they clearly wanted to take stronger action the fact it was a limited company doing this extracurricular work they' issued' me with a 6 month cease and desist 'warning'. I had been warned they might try this trick as well and advised it wasn't worth the paper it was written on.

I never did see this warning in writing despite asking for a copy on two occasions.

As ever these things always come back to haunt you and I'm pretty certain this was behind not getting a direct employ position with an installation owner (as every other person at my level did) some 3yrs later.........

It was interesting conversation that I had with the contract manager when I departed Petrofac's employ (in 2011) after he had asked the HR person to leave the room. It was held 'in confidence' and I continue to respect that but the same thinking/ methodology is clearly driving DP World.

At a time when, in theory, we should be seeking to increase/ secure employment for UK nationals as a part of Brexit this move by DP World needs opposing on every possible front and I don't say that simply because it affects my industry. I believe it marks a 'line in the sand', the line needs drawing and fully supporting.

Regards

Richard

I have just emailed the Secretary of State for education

Dear Ms Davies

According to legislation P&O should have consulted you 45 days ago before making the redundancies announced yesterday. Can you confirm that you were consulted by P&O in line with government legislation

Dear Ms Davies

According to legislation P&O should have consulted you 45 days ago before making the redundancies announced yesterday. Can you confirm that you were consulted by P&O in line with government legislation

Sounds like a top tip from Viz :)

As pointed out by someone else upthread, (@Cav ?) P&O must also have consulted the Secretary of State 45 days ago.

AIUI, this didn't happen.

What is the point of a Secretary of State who cannot uphold the law?

If this came as a surprise to the Govt, what would you reasonably expect in 24 hours beyond a Transport minister speaking out against it?

[Edit]

As a point of clarification, the notification must go to SofS for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy, so it's Kwasi Kwarteng, not Mims Davies.

Today's demos:

• Dover: 12.00 midday - meet Maritime House Snargate Street, Dover CT17 9BZ
  • Hull: 12.00 midday– King George Dock, Hull HU9 5PR
  • Liverpool: 1.00pm Main Liverpool Port entrance Liverpool L21 1LA

Or don’t vote for such c*nts in the first place.

Problem is that those who do vote aren't affected by all this. Not in that kind of job; better terms and conditions, etc.

Labour seems to have been quiet about this too. Wasn't New Labour established on the back of rescinding a certain part of their constitution?

Which leads to the following question:

What is the political party called Labour for?

If it is seen as little different from the Conservatives, then what are the alternatives?

What's the point of voting?

This is why people are disenfranchised.

Things will only change when people in roles seen as more skilled and professional are affected...

AIUI, this didn't happen.

it was @gavreid. I was getting my Gavs and Cavs mixed up, apologies to both
If this came as a surprise to the Govt, what would you reasonably expect in 24 hours?
The point is that she should’ve been told 45 days ago, not 24 hours. So if she wasn’t told, I would expect some serious questions about an international company breaking the law.

Good Morning All,

Whilst not directly related I was employed by Petrofac (a Sharjah based organisation) a few years ago under a contract that stated we weren't "allowed" to have another job. This was quite clearly unenforceable in what was then EU/ UK law but didn't stop them from including it in the contract.

During a 3 week leave period I did a rig move which involved my flying out by helicopter. My return to my regular work was less than a week later so this extracurricular activity was 'flagged' and I was invited to attend Petrofac's office for what turned out to be a disciplinary affair which I was given no prior warning of.

Suspecting this was the likely course I contacted the firm I had done the extra work for who were quite happy to offer some handy legal advice. In addition to the bit about my being engaged in a second job being unenforceable the work I had carried out wasn't actually by me but my limited company (of which I am the sole employee) and it was this bit that threw a 'spanner in the works' as far as Petrofac were concerned.

Part way through the meeting I was asked to leave the room whilst a call was made to Sharjah. Much as they clearly wanted to take stronger action the fact it was a limited company doing this extracurricular work they' issued' me with a 6 month cease and desist 'warning'. I had been warned they might try this trick as well and advised it wasn't worth the paper it was written on.

I never did see this warning in writing despite asking for a copy on two occasions.

As ever these things always come back to haunt you and I'm pretty certain this was behind not getting a direct employ position with an installation owner (as every other person at my level did) some 3yrs later.........

It was interesting conversation that I had with the contract manager when I departed Petrofac's employ (in 2011) after he had asked the HR person to leave the room. It was held 'in confidence' and I continue to respect that but the same thinking/ methodology is clearly driving DP World.

At a time when, in theory, we should be seeking to increase/ secure employment for UK nationals as a part of Brexit this move by DP World needs opposing on every possible front and I don't say that simply because it affects my industry. I believe it marks a 'line in the sand', the line needs drawing and fully supporting.

Regards

Richard

Thankyou very much for sharing your experience with us, Richard.

Appalling behaviour on the part of that company. I cannot say I'm surprised though.

Taking these organisations on isn't easy, is it?

I have had some experiences of my own aside from the campaigning, etc.

I cannot speak about these yet though...

The point is that she should’ve been told 45 days ago, not 24 hours. So if she wasn’t told, I would expect some serious questions about an international company breaking the law.

See my edit above about who should be notified - I changed it while you replying.

It's only been 24 hours and at this moment in time, I guess the lawyers are working out what has happened and advising a course of action before the questions start. When Ministers asked about this have all said something along the lines of "we believe it's illegal" so that means they've been caught on the hop and simply don't know at this moment.

If you read the page in .gov.uk (https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...cation-of-redundancies-guidance-for-employers) it state:

"If it is not reasonably practicable for you to comply with the minimum notification periods you must make every effort do so as far as you are able. You must give reasons why you could not provide the information on time."

Which to my mind means that a smart employment lawyer like hose who are on call to DP World or P&O can drive a cart and horses through that. "Reasonable" is a get-out word that causes all kinds of problems in law and policy.

Dear Ms Davies

Glad you did that, ks. Are you aware that you've actually submitted an FOI request in doing that? So there's an obligation for a response within 20 working days, or sooner, and if they're going to refuse they need to say why and cite a valid and applicable exemption in their reason for doing so. My guess is that, if they do, they'll try the 'commercial interests' exemption and refuse to confirm or deny that they hold the information (ie, information as to whether they received the required notice from P&O). That is subject to a public interest test and, without intending to pre-judge the situation, I think there's a strong argument that the public interest in knowing whether a major employer and commercial operator in the UK has ignored employemnt law, outweighs any commercial confidentiality considerations.

Alternatively, I guess this information may come out sooner, perhaps in Parliament, and it all becomes moot.

Interested to know what response you do eventually get.

Edit: if you've sent it to the wrong department, they may just tell you they don't hold it.

The RMT needs to shoulder some blame for this mess too. They very actively promoted Brexit (RMT Brexit propaganda) which, as can be seen from the stark contrast between P&O behaviour in the UK and the EU, is clearly a factor here. Brexit likely isn’t the sole reason for this awful mess, but it is unquestionably a factor and the idiotic ‘Lexit’ left need to own their bit of it. They are looking remarkably stupid today IMHO.

See my edit above about who should be notified - I changed it while you replying.

It's only been 24 hours and at this moment in time, I guess the lawyers are working out what has happened and advising a course of action before the questions start. When Ministers asked about this have all said something along the lines of "we believe it's illegal" so that means they've been caught on the hop and simply don't know at this moment.

If you read the page in .gov.uk (https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...cation-of-redundancies-guidance-for-employers) it state:

"If it is not reasonably practicable for you to comply with the minimum notification periods you must make every effort do so as far as you are able. You must give reasons why you could not provide the information on time."

Which to my mind means that a smart employment lawyer like hose who are on call to DP World or P&O can drive a cart and horses through that. "Reasonable" is a get-out word that causes all kinds of problems in law and policy.
Many thanks, can you tell me where you got the info from about the correct person to contact so I don’t make the same mistake again

advertisement

Back