advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+17)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Katya Adler - no back stop end date, no independent UK mechanism to end the arrangement. Thin gruel unless the Alt-Brexiteers are gagging to climb down which is entirely possible.
Sounds more plausible. If the EU was going to give the sort of ground that would make a difference, it would have done so weeks ago.

According to Katya Adler - no back stop end date, no independent UK mechanism to end the arrangement. Thin gruel unless the Alt-Brexiteers are gagging to climb down which is entirely possible.
I guess some of them are - but probably not enough. I doubt Mark Francois will be satisfied with anything less than a declaration of war against Germany.

If she has done a deal that will prevent the UK going further down the gurgler, surely that is good thing? It certainly won’t be a magic pill solution, but I for one will be happy if it prevents at least 10% of the pain a no deal wouldhave given. It will certainly guarantee May’s hold on her position and re-election. This is going to be highly unpalatable to most on this forum, especially when you ask the question who else would have have succeeded, if she did.

It could be flim flam, deckchairs on the titanic stuff, but that doesn’t matter. Britain, as the Soviets realised in the 1930s, is not a country where revolution is easily fomented, and was never going to overturn what is perceived as a legal, if deeply flawed vote. There is a chink of hope, however. in the possible birth of a grass roots movement to campaign for a gradual re-introduction of the privileges the EU gave. unfortunately only a wild optimist would think this will lead to the end of the oligarchs. If May is a pawn, she is theirs, as,indeed nearly every possible leader.

The labour party? discredited, divided, no phoenix in sight. By the way, this isn’t bring reported here in France, only that there was a meeting.

I guess some of them are - but probably not enough. I doubt Mark Francois will be satisfied with anything less than a declaration of war against Germany.
He’s already fought and beaten them in two world wars. Actually he’s more likely to have been a spiv selling black market goods to women who’s husbands were away fighting.

He’s already fought and beaten them in two world wars. Actually he’s more likely to have been a spiv selling black market goods to women who’s husbands were away fighting.

I’ve been away from most news for a little while, and so may lack the no doubt profound pleasure of overexposure to Francois which other members luxuriate in. But my reading of the ‘Self stare’ clip I saw was that Self concluded right at that moment that Francois was, in some important respects, basically a quasi-Nazi. Not something to accommodate or to whom one should extend the courtesy of considered debate, but something fit only to be held in utter contempt and implacably, glaringly opposed.

The management of about £1 Trillion (yes that is 1,000 billion) has already left London for EU cities.
Some hard (but obvious) truths at last being spelt out: "London is a global financial centre because it is the European financial centre. It will not be the European financial centre in future."
So little or no car industry and a reduced financial sector: what exactly will pay the NHS, schools, Social Security bills ?
Brexiteers have not shot UK in the foot they have blown its head off. The effects will not be immediately apparent but they are coming.
I imagine those Brexiteers looking back through rose tinted glasses have forgotten that the UK needed a loan from the IMF in 1976. The largest IMF loan given to that date.

Last edited:
not convinced, wacko. The rich always muddle through.

Seriously, as I tried to indicate, when the news came through - and there’s no doubt that the tide has turned, May will win - it could lead to profound changes in the U.K. What and when only a fool would try to predict, but it won’t be led by Labour, at least not in current form.

^^ nobody said the rich would not be OK. By rich I mean the top 1%: what do you mean by rich ? What about the other 99% ?
Nobody has said the UK will disappear. Just most people will be poorer than otherwise and there will be less money for the NHS, schools and Social Security.
The ERGs first choice is probably still a Hard Brexit. I wouldn't assume enough of them will vote for Mays Deal.

I think ...

She'll resign the day after we leave on the 29th with her deal, as it will eventually pass. She'll say 'job done'.

Then there'll be an election in May and five more years of Conservative rule and chaos with a Brexiteer PM and further Austerity.

That's what the leave vote has brought about.

Stephen

That is a truly awful prospect. I pray you're wrong.

Fairly damming from Junker: “There will be no further interpretations of the interpretations; no further assurances of the reassurances — if the meaningful vote fails tomorrow, this is it.”

At Laura’s first ‘too tight to call’ later I will be claiming my prize.
Last September I said:
Whatever the last-second state of negotiations is will mysteriously transmute into 'a deal.' This will then be passed by the HoC by a hair's breadth in the absence of a Tory revolt (after much breathless 'to tight to call'-ing from the likes of the fragrant Laura.) Cue next day's headlines 'Back From The Brink!' 'Send Her Victorious!' 'At Last!' etc. etc.
I imagine Lord Snooty will be on the phone to no.10 this morning congratulating Tezz on the gigantic concessions she wrung from the EU, that it is now feasible he could support her deal, and coincidentally pointing out one or two pieces of tax legislation he and his friends would like to see the back of.

If you want a giggle and goodness knows we need one. Check out the parade of interviewees on TV and Radio trying to pretend the word "reduce" is the same as "remove".

Gove all over the place on R4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back