advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+17)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a strong feeling that no Tories will vote for a second referrendum until all other options are exhausted. They've been proven to be right so far

As I understand it following the finalised version of the amendment:

1. May's deal has to pass first.
2. Labour won't vote for May's deal and will be abstaining.
3. If May's deal does pass (possibly with Labour rebels) then Labour will back a "confirmation ballot" (which might be a GE or a referendum).
4. The referendum will be May's Deal vs X, where X is to be decided by parliament and may be No Deal, Remain or another deal (e.g. Norway).

Which is all very confusing and raises almost as many questions as it answers.

Like I've said before, that's pure speculation, and I think wrong: I'd be really surprised if the leadership were closet lexiteers, whatever their feelings about the EU, because they are pragmatists, and there's no way for Lexit to work. But as I also keep saying, sorry for being a stuck record, their secret feelings are really next to irrelevant. They would not have been able to keep remainers in the PLP on board without giving assurances that remain would be on the ballot, and they won't be able to keep their base together either. What's more likely: they're so into Brexit that they've been outright lying, convincingly, to their own PLP, with total disregard for the consequences, and are also willing to betray their supporters? Or that they'll do the thing that will keep the PLP and the base together, and insist on remain being on the ballot?

Corbyn and May are the same on the same page about the biggest issue of our time - they both want Brexit.

He will support the Kyle-Wilson amendment under specific circumstances.

"If May’s deal were brought back to parliament this week, Corbyn suggested Labour could support the amendment, which would see approval of the deal made conditional on a “confirmatory” referendum," reports The Guardian today.

So Labour will support May's Brexit withdrawal agreement if she agrees to a confirmatory referendum.

This referendum, as far as I can tell, will include a Corbyn flavoured Brexit deal as well as May's. Whether Remain will be a third option isn't clear. Corbyn is however rolling in the Brexit filth with her.

My guess is May will attempt up to four times to get her deal through. Some Labour MPs will help her to achieve it. Corbyn's lame attempt to be an opposition leader ensures that and I don't think he gives a fux about it.

Jack

Last edited:
I'm not optimistic but if there is a Confirmation Referendum/PV what is the structure ?
Obviously Remain or Leave ?
But to placate (and hopefully destroy) the ERG No Deal would have to be on it.
So there would have to be a second part which is only operational if Leave win the first part: May's Deal or No Deal ?
Does everyone get to vote on the second part or just those who voted Leave ? I would say Yes; but another view might be you lost the first part so only we Leavers get to vote on how we Leave.

Corbyn and May are the same on the same page about the biggest issue of our time - they both want Brexit.

He will support the Kyle-Wilson amendment under specific circumstances.

"If May’s deal were brought back to parliament this week, Corbyn suggested Labour could support the amendment, which would see approval of the deal made conditional on a “confirmatory” referendum," reports The Guardian today.

So Labour will support May's Brexit withdrawal agreement if she agrees to a confirmatory referendum.

This referendum, as far as I can tell, will include a Corbyn flavoured Brexit deal as well as May's. Whether Remain will be a third option isn't clear. Corbyn is however rolling in the Brexit filth with her.

My guess is May will attempt up to four times to get her deal through. Some Labour MPs will help her to achieve it. Corbyn's lame attempt to be an opposition leader ensures that and I don't think he gives a fux about it.

Jack

May won't bring hear deal back until she thinks she will win it - having bribed the DUP and scared the ERG with the prospect of no leave. It might not be Tuesday after all.

I'm not optimistic but if there is a Confirmation Referendum/PV what is the structure ?
Obviously Remain or Leave ?
But to placate (and hopefully destroy) the ERG No Deal would have to be on it.
So there would have to be a second part which is only operational if Leave win the first part: May's Deal or No Deal ?
Does everyone get to vote on the second part or just those who voted Leave ? I would say Yes; but another view might be you lost the first part so only we Leavers get to vote on how we Leave.

It’d be remain in vs leave with the only deal on the table, i.e. May’s. No more unicorns or suggestions that the E.U. have already rejected. Reality vs. Reality.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...phil-wilson-peter-kyle?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back