1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+15)?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Seanm, Jan 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HairyHaggis

HairyHaggis <((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>¸.

sshhhhh, please. leave us up here out of this. i'd hope that soon we can go our separate ways. we rejoin the eu as a peaceful, cooperative and non-competitive nation. and england can continue on its righteous mission to world domination and regal, glorious empire again.

Konteebos likes this.
  2. tones

tones Tones deaf

Why stop there? Back to Strongbow:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_de_Clare,_2nd_Earl_of_Pembroke

As I've said before, the English have spent the last 800-odd years making a mess of Ireland, so why should they stop now?

gassor and HairyHaggis like this.
  3. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

The last 3 election results saw to this, way before Brexit was a thought in Cameron's mind.

4. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

The whole thing is just so depressingly awful. Well done everybody.

5. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

Apparently, rumours abound, May will be "doing a Cameron" & running off into the sunset come June, allowing her to choose her successor to prevent Boris taking charge in a Tory leadership battle.

6. JustJohn

JustJohn pfm Member

My feelings, too. But I can't help wondering if this is the convulsive moment in our history where a blind groping for past glories has a paradoxical effect that finally sees us throwing off the burden of the past 200 years and starting to behave like a progressive 21st century state? To echo some of thoughts already posted, a former senior civil servant I know believes we'll back in the EU within ten years as "smaller and wiser nation". It's a nugget of hope.

7. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Agreed if you promise to let me through Hadrians anti-Brexit cordon sanitaire.

8. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Without a second Referendum which major Party is going to put rejoining the EU in their Manifesto ? The terms of rejoining will be worse than we have now: it will take much longer than 10 years. In fact it will take 10 years just to finish sorting out the Brexit disaster.

9. HairyHaggis

HairyHaggis <((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>¸.

you know the deal. just leave the string vest and obsession with "control" behind and you'll be very welcome :)

10. JustJohn

JustJohn pfm Member

I'm not convinced she ever was. She was very quiet during the campaign, which now looks like a cynical ploy to secure her position regardless of the outcome. It was all about her and her grasp for power.

11. JustJohn

JustJohn pfm Member

It has taken us just three years to get into this mess. It needn't take much longer to get out of it. Where public opinion goes, the party manifestos will quickly follow.

12. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

Same here, thought it strange at the time they would choose a leader who was in the remain camp.

I'm guessing they thought it would satisfy all sides to have a remainer delivering the will of the people.

13. wacko

wacko pfm Member

So they did have a Plan B. It was "how we implement Plan A".

14. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

15. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

She would end Brexit today if it wouldn't put an end to the Tory party.

16. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

By the same token, it's hardly the thumping win the Corbynistas predicted they'd get over teh evul Toreys.

Maybe a change to a major policy is needed.

17. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Nothing has been done for 3 years, its just limbo running down the clock to jump off cliff day. Most Brexiteers will never admit they were wrong: they will double down and England will be unpleasant for a long time.
    Anyway rejoining whether it is 10 years, or 20/30 years, will not get us back to what we had. Most of the jobs will stay where they have gone etc etc
    There is no upside to Brexit in any aspect of life.

sean99 and TheDecameron like this.
  18. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

Not much change overall - except a majority Tory government.

TheDecameron likes this.
  19. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

I don't think she would, nothing concrete to say why but I just get a feeling she is actually a brexiter.

20. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

It is exactly what I was expecting and have been arguing, i.e. Labour are clearly moving backwards for obvious reasons, there is no credible alternative (LDs have no spark or momentum despite being right on the key issue of the day), and the worst Conservative government in living memory is actually solidifying their position (or lack thereof). I’ll be amazed if they don’t call an election this year. They’d not get a thumping majority, but they’d likely be able to ditch the UDA and govern alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.