advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+15)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
realise the UK has no friends at all.

sshhhhh, please. leave us up here out of this. i'd hope that soon we can go our separate ways. we rejoin the eu as a peaceful, cooperative and non-competitive nation. and england can continue on its righteous mission to world domination and regal, glorious empire again.

Interesting Huffington Post article suggesting (as if it hadn’t been obvious for months) that May is perfectly happy to throw the UK under a bus to keep the Tory party together. It is a real shame Labour’s gammon actually voted against Yvette Cooper’s bill as that could maybe have provided a very useful spanner to throw.
Apparently, rumours abound, May will be "doing a Cameron" & running off into the sunset come June, allowing her to choose her successor to prevent Boris taking charge in a Tory leadership battle.

The whole thing is just so depressingly awful. Well done everybody.

My feelings, too. But I can't help wondering if this is the convulsive moment in our history where a blind groping for past glories has a paradoxical effect that finally sees us throwing off the burden of the past 200 years and starting to behave like a progressive 21st century state? To echo some of thoughts already posted, a former senior civil servant I know believes we'll back in the EU within ten years as "smaller and wiser nation". It's a nugget of hope.

sshhhhh, please. leave us up here out of this. i'd hope that soon we can go our separate ways. we rejoin the eu as a peaceful, cooperative and non-competitive nation. and england can continue on its righteous mission to world domination and regal, glorious empire again.

Agreed if you promise to let me through Hadrians anti-Brexit cordon sanitaire.

My feelings, too. But I can't help wondering if this is the convulsive moment in our history where a blind groping for past glories has a paradoxical effect that finally sees us throwing off the burden of the past 200 years and starting to behave like a progressive 21st century state? To echo some of thoughts already posted, a former senior civil servant I know believes we'll back in the EU within ten years as "smaller and wiser nation". It's a nugget of hope.

Without a second Referendum which major Party is going to put rejoining the EU in their Manifesto ? The terms of rejoining will be worse than we have now: it will take much longer than 10 years. In fact it will take 10 years just to finish sorting out the Brexit disaster.

Without a second Referendum which Party is going to put rejoining the EU in their Manifesto ? The terms of rejoining will be worse than we have now: it will take much longer than 10 years. In fact it will take 10 years just to finish sorting out the Brexit disaster.

It has taken us just three years to get into this mess. It needn't take much longer to get out of it. Where public opinion goes, the party manifestos will quickly follow.

I'm not convinced she ever was. She was very quiet during the campaign, which now looks like a cynical ploy to secure her position regardless of the outcome. It was all about her and her grasp for power.

Same here, thought it strange at the time they would choose a leader who was in the remain camp.

I'm guessing they thought it would satisfy all sides to have a remainer delivering the will of the people.

Same here, thought it strange at the time they would choose a leader who was in the remain camp.

I'm guessing they thought it would satisfy all sides to have a remainer delivering the will of the people.

So they did have a Plan B. It was "how we implement Plan A".

She would end Brexit today if it wouldn't put an end to the Tory party.

Big (40 000) YouGov opinion poll showing labour would lose a small number of seats to SNP and Lib Dem, Tories might gain 4, so not much change overall. You'd never have guessed it reading many of the ill-informed posts/rants etc of the past few weeks!

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...b04a6f567ddc7b#block-5c629b14e4b04a6f567ddc7b

By the same token, it's hardly the thumping win the Corbynistas predicted they'd get over teh evul Toreys.

Maybe a change to a major policy is needed.

It has taken us just three years to get into this mess. It needn't take much longer to get out of it. Where public opinion goes, the party manifestos will quickly follow.

Nothing has been done for 3 years, its just limbo running down the clock to jump off cliff day. Most Brexiteers will never admit they were wrong: they will double down and England will be unpleasant for a long time.
Anyway rejoining whether it is 10 years, or 20/30 years, will not get us back to what we had. Most of the jobs will stay where they have gone etc etc
There is no upside to Brexit in any aspect of life.

Big (40 000) YouGov opinion poll showing labour would lose a small number of seats to SNP and Lib Dem, Tories might gain 4, so not much change overall. You'd never have guessed it reading many of the ill-informed posts/rants etc of the past few weeks!

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...b04a6f567ddc7b#block-5c629b14e4b04a6f567ddc7b

It is exactly what I was expecting and have been arguing, i.e. Labour are clearly moving backwards for obvious reasons, there is no credible alternative (LDs have no spark or momentum despite being right on the key issue of the day), and the worst Conservative government in living memory is actually solidifying their position (or lack thereof). I’ll be amazed if they don’t call an election this year. They’d not get a thumping majority, but they’d likely be able to ditch the UDA and govern alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back