advertisement

Nvidia RTX30xx Graphics

He is clearly as biased as I am. So not much value to it. I believe I was critical of his voice :)

But the whole point is that he wasn't biased! You dismissed him as some sort of no mark fan bois which was just completely unfair.

OK. Well I got through a couple of his videos. He seemed biased. We all have to fall on one side of the fence Matthew.

At this stage of the game it would appear to be about availability more than anything. Clearly Nvidia were on the run because their launch has been a total cluster fk, so lets wait and see what the comparisons show. At this rate I'll have leisurely time to see what the score is, its looking like feb for delivery of the card I have ordered lol

Just hoping my 1080ti lasts that long. I am getting a concerning amount of brief disconnects resulting in the screen going blank then immediately reconnecting. Or a flickering full width black line appear then go away again. Sigh.

At this stage of the game it would appear to be about availability more than anything.

AMD have already stopped production of their last generation cards. This is a huge indicator that early availability will be strong.

Well the new Zen 3 ryzen might be my next processor and it looks like Its time to upgrade the whole kit and kaboodle.

I think i'll wait until Q2 next year for prices and availability to settle down. Its a great time to be a consumer.

The little 6 core is where the value is for most home users although the new ones will be £50 more than the 3600. I have one and the 3700x 8 core too.

I think the lockdown and general shit of 2020 is meaning a lot of people, a lot of people are saying f it, I am buying XYZ as the end of the world is probably coming. Same for the consoles as well, its just crazy.

AMD wont be able to say they did not expect it like Nvidia laughingly did, but I suppose the manufacture process is also bolloxed.

AMD have already stopped production of their last generation cards. This is a huge indicator that early availability will be strong.

They've promised both availabilty and working drivers - get those right and they will take some healthy market share from nvidia. They have the time to get it right so... and they just can't afford to get it wrong.

They've promised both availabilty and working drivers - get those right and they will take some healthy market share from nvidia. They have the time to get it right so... and they just can't afford to get it wrong.

Yeah... drivers. That's the bit that can go badly wrong for them. Although obviously it's easier to fix than hardware.

Count down to big Navi - Nvidia in trouble "this is going to be fun to watch"

They'll be three cards

"6900XT" at the top, which will be close to the 3090
"6800XT" which will match the 3080 at least
"6800" which will better the 3070

and you'll be able to buy them...

Last edited:
OK gamers can you help with this one? Child#1 has requested an upgrade from i5 6600 cpu gtx970 , 8GB ram based system, for Christmas. Wish list is over a thousand gbp which I baulked at. I guess the processor has to go and the motherboard is out of date, so it’s pretty much a new system, however I do have a media pc with a ryzen 2400g. Q: Should I repurpose the i5 6600/970 to a media pc, put the 2400g as a gaming machine add 32GB of ram and a GTX3070?, is the 2400 powerful enough to keep the 3070 happy? Or will it not really rock unless it gets a shiny new ryzen 3700X, which I can put off purchasing until birthday in feb?.

OK gamers can you help with this one? Child#1 has requested an upgrade from i5 6600 cpu gtx970 , 8GB ram based system, for Christmas. Wish list is over a thousand gbp which I baulked at. I guess the processor has to go and the motherboard is out of date, so it’s pretty much a new system, however I do have a media pc with a ryzen 2400g. Q: Should I repurpose the i5 6600/970 to a media pc, put the 2400g as a gaming machine add 32GB of ram and a GTX3070?, is the 2400 powerful enough to keep the 3070 happy? Or will it not really rock unless it gets a shiny new ryzen 3700X, which I can put off purchasing until birthday in feb?.

New console? My 15 year old nephew thinks this is the way to go vs £500 pc - and I agree

You have a bat in hells chance of a 3070 for christmas.

But 1080tis, are now very good value indeed. Substantial upgrade on the gtx970

Nothing wrong with the CPU for gaming. 16 gigs of ram would be nice though.

You could do all that for less than 500.

You have a bat in hells chance of a 3070 for christmas.

But 1080tis, are now very good value indeed. Substantial upgrade on the gtx970

Nothing wrong with the CPU for gaming. 16 gigs of ram would be nice though.

You could do all that for less than 500.

So I can stick with the i5 6600 increase ram to 32 GB and a fvck off graphics card and all will be well?, apparently it must do ray tracing so that is an RTX card I guess. At what point does the processor limit or can it always throw data at the graphics card fast enough for all intents and purposes?

So I can stick with the i5 6600 increase ram to 32 GB and a fvck off graphics card and all will be well?, apparently it must do ray tracing so that is an RTX card I guess. At what point does the processor limit or can it always throw data at the graphics card fast enough for all intents and purposes?
The CPU that you have supports all 16 PCIe lanes but then it depends on the mobo as to whether it supports PCIe 1,2,3,4 or 5. These speeds range from 1 to 63GBps.

A good mobo can cost more than a computer. I think mine was around the £500 mark and has top support from both PCIe and memory including VROC and military grade components so can be driven really hard for long periods without any problems.

Therefore choose your NVIDIA with care as you don't want to pay for more umph than you can use. For gaming 16GB of RAM is enough but make sure that you have an SSD with plenty of storage or a mix of SSD and HD. Saved games can take a lot of room. Then again choose wisely no point paying for a 4 channel SSD if the mobo only supports 2 as you'll only get half the speed anyway.

Cheers,

DV

More importantly nobody has asked what resolution or frame rate is desired, this more than anything determines what sort of spec you should go for/get away with. No point suggesting any kit until that is known really.

The CPU that you have supports all 16 PCIe lanes but then it depends on the mobo as to whether it supports PCIe 1,2,3,4 or 5. These speeds range from 1 to 63GBps.

A good mobo can cost more than a computer. I think mine was around the £500 mark and has top support from both PCIe and memory including VROC and military grade components so can be driven really hard for long periods without any problems.

Therefore choose your NVIDIA with care as you don't want to pay for more umph than you can use. For gaming 16GB of RAM is enough but make sure that you have an SSD with plenty of storage or a mix of SSD and HD. Saved games can take a lot of room. Then again choose wisely no point paying for a 4 channel SSD if the mobo only supports 2 as you'll only get half the speed anyway.

Cheers,

DV

It’s a Z-170x “gaming motherboard”plus ssd for os and normal drive for game data.

More importantly nobody has asked what resolution or frame rate is desired, this more than anything determines what sort of spec you should go for/get away with. No point suggesting any kit until that is known really.

The monitors are 1440 and there are two of them, deffo not 4K, not sure about frame rate but I guess the more the better.

advertisement

Back