Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Nvidia RTX30xx Graphics

Discussion in 'off topic' started by david ellwood, Sep 2, 2020.

1. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

Looking very interesting.

The new RTX3070(£500) is supposed to hugely outperform the old RTX2080Ti (£1200)

I have been holding off buying a new graphics card for years but now might be a good time to get back on.

2. Bananahead

Bananahead pfm Member

and where did you see prices announced?

3. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

4. garyi

garyi leave blank

Yeah I am delighted I nearly buckled to a 2080ti last month but left it thank god. Have a 1080ti now so should be looking at a substantial jump if I plumb for a 3080.

Wolfmancatsup likes this.
  5. david ellwood

There’s a plethora of 2070 and 2080 cards with very optimistic prices on the second hand market at the moment

6. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Ex coin mining rigs, that have been run 24x7 at full power for years

7. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe pfm Member

OCUK have pre-order pricing up.
    3080s seem to be around £650

8. garyi

garyi leave blank

David nope, very doubtful, purchased by people who jumped on the first gen of this new architecture and now probably sore about the new stats at half the price so want that instead

9. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

I think they'll be similar in performance, the 3070 being a bit better - for much less money obviously. Definitely a big advance. The 3080 will be much superior to the 2080 Super...

10. matt j

matt j pfm Member

The mining boom had already passed by the time the 20 series came out. Peak mining was 1060s and 1070s, along with AMDs 470 and 480.

I'd be very surprised if anyone had a garage full of 2070/80s for mining.

11. PhilofCas

PhilofCas pfm Member

I’ll ask my mate, he retired from Kellingley colliery nearly five year ago.

Wolfmancatsup, matt j and gavreid like this.
  12. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

My local power company keeps finding shoplots stuffed full of coin mining equipment, stealing electricity. They are reported as operating for about a year

13. Wolfmancatsup

Wolfmancatsup Empire State Human

Similar position to me. I’ve been running a 1080ti for four and a half years, and have been looking to upgrade for a while...

14. david ellwood

For the super rich there is a 3090!

gavreid likes this.
  15. garyi

garyi leave blank

Yeah not sure I need titan levels, would be nice though!

16. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Not on my budget! I'm on an RX 5700 XT - I think Nvidia is rolling more performance than it perhaps would otherwise have wanted to, in attempt to neuter the new generation of AMD cards before the launch. It'll be interesting. AMD was hoping to be competitive with the 3080 this time but maybe they'll still be at 3070 level, which would be just fine with me say at £400.

17. Fatmarley

Fatmarley pfm Member

Same here. Although I've got the posh Powercolor Red Devil with the three fans. Just noticed Powercolor now do a liquid cooled version.

gavreid likes this.
  18. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Me too. After some initial trouble with drivers it's been rock solid.

Fatmarley likes this.
  19. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

What kind of applications need such Graphics Card power?

Video Editing, Gaming, CAD?

20. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Video rendering, gaming at high resolution - the new 3080 will manage 8k at 60 fps apparently and say 1440 at high fps (250 ish), CAD - so all of the above. Personally, I think it's about be able to do these at a much lower power draw from the wall - 350 W plus is quite ridiculous in todays climate.

Stuart Frazer likes this.