advertisement

Nottingham Analogue Dais

With my 22 Years Old Dynavector XX-2 Mk1 (waiting for a new Lyra KLEOS SL)
Looks a bit unbalanced, Jorge; another arm-board and tonearm (12" of course) is required for this balancing act. 😁 To be fair, one can only play one record at a time, and my other arm is seldom used nowadays. Okay if you're a mono enthusiast, I s'pose, or want a Decca or something off-beat to play around with. However, the Dais does look the bus. with 2 arms.

It will surely look more magnificent with a second arm, perhaps one day.
The good thing is that it is possible :)

And what arm would be ?
Another Ace Anna 12" ?

20231220-113751.jpg

My Dais is Exclusive, they put the Dais Stamp on the Back by mistake I supose :)
Did you ask for that. It's certainly discrete.

Audiocraft AC4400’s, nice design, very well engineered, otf VTA, variable damping, lots of arm wand choices. I think Graham arms are “based” on this or the 3300’s, but uni’s rather than DP’s. Occasionally get swapped out for an Odyssey 12” and Moerch DP9.

What do you think about the German 12" Schick ?
I've not experienced them but have heard/read good things. Read the blurb (link) but couldn't find the eff. mass (pretty important criterion i. m. o.) though with a Lyra most medium mass arms will suffice. I use a chrome 12" Audio Origami PU7 and love it.

A bit of light reading regarding effective mass from Thomas Schick
I read that previously but they don't actually quote the eff. mass with their own headshell. They recommend. or otherwise, cart's and compliances which will suit. Being a simple soul, this is too vague. If the eff. mass was higher medium; say 16 to 25g, I'd know it was good for Koetsu and even Miyajima at the higher end. Okay, different headshells and tweaking can adjust the mass but most arms do state the figure.

I read that previously but they don't actually quote the eff. mass with their own headshell. They recommend. or otherwise, cart's and compliances which will suit. Being a simple soul, this is too vague. If the eff. mass was higher medium; say 16 to 25g, I'd know it was good for Koetsu and even Miyajima at the higher end. Okay, different headshells and tweaking can adjust the mass but most arms do state the figure.
Yes, I do realise there is no stated figure for the effective mass of the actual tonearm but I think I'm correct in saying that in general the Schick tonearms would be regarded as having a higher effective mass.

Most end users that I know of seem to partner these tonearms with idlers, Lencos, Garrards, SPU's, Miyajima (quite often a mono cartridge) and some stone bodied Koetsu MCs, SUT's , expensive single ended low output valve amplifiers and big horns or Tannoys, so In general 'classic' or retro type systems, that's not to say they wouldn't work well with a suitable cartridge on a DD or belt drive TT in a more modern system, I quite fancy trying a high mass tonearm and suitable pickup on my Dais, either Schick, Groovemaster or perhaps Glanz.

I quite fancy trying a high mass tonearm and suitable pickup on my Dais, either Schick, Groovemaster or perhaps Glanz.
You and me both, and I have a redundant Urushi Vermillion in my drawer,, waiting for a higher mass arm. However, I doubt that I'll make the effort now, though I have plans to put my Proteus on the Ace Anna , where I know it sounds good, and maybe stick the Urushi back on the PU7 with maybe a bit of Blutac on the headshell (I've seriously forgotten what my K sounds like !).

The Groovemaster, apart from its shape, does tick boxes, but seeing the 12" Glanz up close (friend has one), I was surprised at how thin the arm-tube was and dislike the arm-rest clip (metal !). My Pu7 is the slickest and most positive arm-rest operation I've come across. There be more to arms for me than just the sonics. :) Silly little things but important, Darren.

Moerchs are very good on NAs, both sonically and visually. I still use a shadow DP6 now and then, with blue and red armwands gives decent flexibility for a range of MCs.

advertisement

Back