advertisement

Nottingham Analogue Dais

Please share where you got the cover and price if possible..dm if you’d like tnx
I don't wish to pre-empt Jorge, but my only avenue was to have one made. Online cover people would've been tricky for such a size so I designed one and had it done locally in 5mm thick acrylic. Cost was i.r.o. £75 if I remember. It goes right over the t/t, onto the supporting table. I had it made a couple of inches higher as I had grand ideas of adding another base for aesthetic reasons (the Dais looks a bit top-heavy i.m.o.). Of course this never materialised !

I don't wish to pre-empt Jorge, but my only avenue was to have one made. Online cover people would've been tricky for such a size so I designed one and had it done locally in 5mm thick acrylic. Cost was i.r.o. £75 if I remember. It goes right over the t/t, onto the supporting table. I had it made a couple of inches higher as I had grand ideas of adding another base for aesthetic reasons (the Dais looks a bit top-heavy i.m.o.). Of course this never materialised !
Awesome Mike thank you. I think I’m going to look into that too

I have a Morch Dp6 on my Dais I rate it highly. I recently read somewhere the owner and designer of Morch tonearms has died what a shame.

I've never had 9" arm(s) on my Dais despite a history of many on other decks, but can only think that one looks a bit lost on a Dais. A 12", on the other hand, just fills up that space and looks the part. Two X 12", of course, looks the business !

Despite the definite differences in presentation between 9" and 12", each having pros and cons subjectively, aesthetically there is no contest i.m.o. Some say the 9" is more upfront and dynamic and the 12" is more relaxed but sure-footed; understandable when you consider the lesser tracing angle requiring less bias. It's also more tactile, giving one more control in cueing and lift-off. Also easier to inspect/clean styli as it's nearer to one's eyes/viewing angle !

I noticed a heck of a difference when going from SME Five (on Orbe) to 12" Ace Anna, then 12" PU7 on Dais. However, not going the other way, it's only half an observation, if you will, though I couldn't understand anyone reverting to 9" from 12"; I certainly couldn't as I get (much) older and faculties decline.

I won't comment on unipivot v. gimbal, as for one thing, it was limited to about 3 upmarket m.c cart's and only the two arms and for another, medication has helped me get over that expensive audio silliness. :) Quite a difference with each cart. tried, though.

Hi Dear Dais owners,
yes I am still happy with mine, it's my last turntable for sure :)

I will sell my Linn LP12 full of upgrades (that I don't listen anymore), now it's on a friend home to see if he wants it (for half of the price).

Regarding the cover of my Dais, since there's no space on the Mana Stand it's dificult to make an acrylic cover for it,
the cover that I have is a black cloth (I only need to be careful because of the cartridge needle, but it's OK).

My next upgrade will be the speakers from ATC Active 20's to Active 50's (but I must be patient and wait till I get the plenty of money for them).

My 22 Years Old Dynavector XX2 Mk1 is playing very well for the age.

After the Speakers Upgrade I will buy a new Cartridge,
I want to use the Step Up Transformer input (10-30 Ohms impedance) of my Octave Phono Module.
I was thinking about the Lyra Kleos SL (2.7 Ohms self-impedance).

But now I don't know...
Perhaps will be better to go directly to the Lyra Etna λ Lambda SL (1.52 Ohms self impedance) and put an end to the game ;)
Or the Lyra Atlas λ Lambda SL (also 1.52 Ohms self impedance).

I think I would prefer the Etna over the Atlas,
but I don't know if in the Dais with the Ace Anna 12" it will be too mutch for the warm side...

What do you think about the cartridge to suit the Dais with the Ace Anna 12" ?

I think the Atlas is more suited for Classical music (with big orchestras) and the Etna for more intimate music, what do you think ?
Will the Etna be too mutch warm ?

Greetings for everybody,
Jorge Peres

What do you think about the cartridge to suit the Dais with the Ace Anna 12" ?
I've only had the Clavis D.C. and Helikon but my friend has the Titan i (which I've heard on my Dais). Lyra and N.A. arms are bedfellows Jorge; ask HiFi Dave (Radlett Audio) if don't believe me. Personally, you simply can't go wrong with a Lyra but which one? Any with an internal impedance below 4 ohms just has to be very good (but you'll need a bit of gain; my Transfig. Proteus is 1 ohm into EAR valved stage).

All Lyras are long-lived with an easy to set up stylus assembly and with exc. guard, though some people consider the canti's to be an accident waiting to happen. 25% px plan too, so obv. better with lower level (clapped out?) Lyras. My friend bought a knackered Lyra, the cheapest ten, for peanuts on eBay and got 25% off his new Titan i.

Seriously couldn't consider a Lyra to be 'warm'; punchy, articulate and even-handed, yes, but certainly not paint-strippers ! Think you might get fun searching each of your choices on all the review sources on Google; must be plenty out there.

Here's my Dias and it's a wonderful deck. Had it for a year or so now after using a Hyperspace and the Dias is the same super solid NA sound but more detail and micro dynamics than the Hyper. I'm lucky enough to live very near the NA people and have got to know them quite well. I asked them the same question about the Wave Mechanic being left on, and they looked at me like I was mad. They said it's pointless as it's warmed up within minutes and leaving it on will just reduce the lifespan.

Running a Kuzma 4Point9 with a Koetsu RSP which is think is a great match with the TT as it's quite a dynamic arm so doesn't allow the RSP to get too romantic. On the back is a Graham Phantom 2, which allows nice easy on the fly VTA adjustment, which is very handy and saves my back from leaning over the TT too much. Currently using a Lyra Titan i on that, which is one of the best carts I've ever heard and much more suited to rock, electronic and big orchestral stuff than the Koetsu.

G1kkSjc.jpg

I have two arm pods on the Hyperspace here and the NAS Space and Anna were both very pedestrian with a Delos..

Hadcock and Schroder DPS on there now - mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Have any Dias or Hyper etc users tried or run an aftermarket platter mat like the Funkfirm or Hexmat? Just curious if they are worth trying

Have any Dias or Hyper etc users tried or run an aftermarket platter mat like the Funkfirm or Hexmat? Just curious if they are worth trying
Why would you want to? Snatching a record off the t/t, necessary because you wouldn't want to stop a DAIS (= platform; no idea what a Dias is) is pretty easy. Any platter mat would complicate this and possibly endanger the cart. if it comes up with the record due to static or suction.

The Dais' graphite top platter was designed as is. Even if the addition of a platter alters the presentation that's exactly the outcome; an alteration, not an upgrade.

Why would you want to? Snatching a record off the t/t, necessary because you wouldn't want to stop a DAIS (= platform; no idea what a Dias is) is pretty easy. Any platter mat would complicate this and possibly endanger the cart. if it comes up with the record due to static or suction.

The Dais' graphite top platter was designed as is. Even if the addition of a platter alters the presentation that's exactly the outcome; an alteration, not an upgrade.
I was just curious. At the moment I’m straight into the graphite but always curious to see if tweaks can make an improvement.

I’ve actually started stopping it to change a record as I noticed some faint hairline scratches on some of my newer vinyl and wondered if it was caused by lifting the record off while it’s still spinning.

I've used a Ringmat on both, no negative effects on SQ and makes lifting LPs off easier when the platter is turning due to its smaller diameter leaving the edge of the records raised a few mm above the platter.

I’ve actually started stopping it to change a record as I noticed some faint hairline scratches on some of my newer vinyl and wondered if it was caused by lifting the record off while it’s still spinning.
This 'scratching' has been mentioned before on here (but yonks ago) and prob. not for N.A. decks. I've never been aware of such abrasions, though the records always lift off cleanly. My Dais does slow down reasonably quickly, but to get the beast to re-stabilise at the correct RPM takes quite a while. I always stopped my previous Orbe as there wasn't really an alternative with that (lovely) clamp, but think I kept my Xerxes and Fruit Box spinning prior to that.
due to its smaller diameter leaving the edge of the records raised a few mm above the platter.
Yes, that would be an advantage, assuming the Ringmat stays put !!!!
I always stop my Dais when changing a record.
Why, Koi?

It's amazing just how many different ways the same kit is used. I'd guess that the antithesis of a Dais (or heavy platter other N.A.) is a direct drive, where (presumably) stop/starting is so much quicker; the Thorens 124 as well, of course.;)

Last edited:
The spindle of my Hyperspace is exceedingly tight on/in a lot of records - probably more than 20%, maybe a lot more, I haven't counted. So records can't be changed on the fly a good deal of the time.
So far as damage caused by changing on the fly............. you'd need quite some amount of crepe there, and it really couldn't do much other than follow the groove - it couldn't cross more than a couple of rev's - the crepe would be going round in a circle. There is no mechanism to produce radial or approximately radial damage.
As for a mat of some kind on top of the carbon platter (mat)...... I have tried sorbothane "blobs" that make a huge difference on my LP12 and they made no difference that I could hear on the Hyperspace. Also, the outer, upper edge of the carbon platter (mat) has quite a radius on it, so lifting an LP off is pretty simple with no additional mat or whatever as 5-6-7 mm of the edge is unsupported.
I do not have a Wave Mechanic and when I first got the TT, I did quite a bit of timing, basically because I kept using the wrong grooves for the belt, and getting back to speed was pretty swift - a very few rev's., but it will be determined to some extent by how accurately and consistantly you get it turning with your hand.

I always stop my Dais when changing a record.

Is that not second in scale only to turning an oil tanker? I haven't got my Hyperspace up and running yet but I don't intend on stopping and starting the bloody thing.

advertisement

Back