advertisement

Nottingham Analogue Dais

Hey - let us not disagree! "Correct" start and stop is in the eye of the beholder.

Blimey, Mr Thing. When I visited the Swamp last week I’m afraid I didn’t have a clue what that extraordinary device was. I do now, and I’m amazed that when I nonchalantly asked at the end of a side of vinyl “Shall I lift that up for you?” you calmly replied “Yes, thanks!” rather than a strangulated “NO, I’LL DO IT!” Actually, if I’d been aware of what it was I probably wouldn’t have dared to sit so close to it. Ignorance can be bliss...

I SHALL JUDGE THEE BY THE DECK THEE USE!

Well, yes, but you've got to admit that it wouldn't win a beauty contest. F'ugly might describe it but there again, beauty 's in the eyes of the beholder. Compare it to a T.W. Acustic AC3, for example, which is in a similar format mould and does the same thing. However, Tom Fletcher obviously put function before form. Actually, its predecessor, the Mentor, was a much better looking deck; its marbling was quite eye-catching.

I read this thread so many times that I ended up buying a Dais,
I'm very excited and anxious.

The delivery time can be up to 10 weeks (including time on customs in Portugal),
I feel like I've won the lottery and I have to wait weeks to withdraw the millions :) (in this case it will be to pay the remaining half)

It will be my last turntable for sure!

@Jorge Peres an excellent TT, set up is really straightforward, heavy but simple, have fun.

20210122-160205.jpg

At the Distributor here in Portugal I listened only to the Space 294 and also the Hyperspace and I liked both of them.
After reading this thread many times and searching for things about the Late Mr. Tom Fletcher ideas, I loved the ideas of Mr. Fletcher.

I don't need to listen to the Dais to know it will be the one for me!

It will be my last turntable for sure!
Indeed, as you won't be able to move it when assembled ! :D

Having seen the bearing on mine, I'd be tempted to keep her running once oil is in for as long as you can and check the speed every now and again with the strobe disk and light supplied. Best to check with stylus doing its stuff for complete accuracy (quite mesmerising, actually !).

I don't need to listen to any Simon & Garfunkel song,
but I am sure that I will be amazed listening to

The Sound Of Silence​

:)

Just wanted to know your opinions,
about the best Geometry to use on Dr. Feikert Protractor.

To setup a MC Cartridge on the Dais with Ace Anna 12" tonearm,
what do you prefer or think is better for this 12" tonearm :

Baerwald (B), Lofgren (L) or Stevenson (S) ?

Baerwald (B), Lofgren (L) or Stevenson (S) ?
Gosh but how academic can you get, Jorge ? :D Sounds as if you have the mark one Dr.F (big white 'record') as I also have. D'you know, I couldn't tell you which I use so maybe the overhang procedure automatically chooses. For me, overhang is the crucial measure which enables the stylus 'sweep' on the arc to align fully. (Note to self: must check, but whatever, my two 12" arms are spot on).

No, I ordered the Dr. Feikert NG (New Generation) Protactor,
but I must wait some weeks for the Dais, just want to start searching what you guys think is the better for a 12" tonearm, B, L or S ?

No, I ordered the Dr. Feikert NG (New Generation) Protactor,
but I must wait some weeks for the Dais, just want to start searching what you guys think is the better for a 12" tonearm, B, L or S ?

Actual geometry probably matters very little in terms of what's audible, particularly with a longer tonearm, but if your listening consists of a lot of classical with highly dynamic finales etc, then Stevenson does have some advantages regarding end of side distortion, but at the expense of higher distortion across the whole record, compared with Baerwald/Löfgren. There are no 'rights' nor 'wrongs' here - just compromises.

The most important consideration is that, once the alignment geometry has been chosen, you must align the cartridge accurately to that chosen geometry, and the Feickert NG will help you to do that, without fuss and pretty quickly. So quickly, that you can in short time try all three options and if there's one that sounds best, then stick to it.

Thank you, I will do just that, try all three.

Since a 12" tonearm should give lower distortion at the end of LP side, perhaps the Stevenson geometry is not so important,
and perhaps it will be better the B or L instead.

Today I finally received my brand new Dais with the Ace Anna 12".

I have no words to describe the improvement in sound quality,
It's as if the musicians suddenly stopped playing just for the money and now play just for the love of music.

I finally got my last Turntable!

advertisement

Back