advertisement

New wheels

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Oh lovely thanks. The ebay ones look worse than mine but at least I know what I am looking for, will check for numbers on the alloys

Yup; but it's not expensive to get alloys refurbed these days, c£60 a corner for a standard powdercoat... That, fit new tyres and it'll be like a new car!

Yup; but it's not expensive to get alloys refurbed these days, c£60 a corner for a standard powdercoat... That, fit new tyres and it'll be like a new car!
Maybe even a shade less, my dad had a set of 4 done same day in York for £200, including minor trueing, tyre refitting and balancing. They look great. Well, they would If he washed the grime off. They do have the benefit of sealing the tyre, at least. That's a strong case for steel wheels on old bangers.

Enlighten us.
It's not hard to bring an action in the County Court when you suffer damage as a result of a council's duties under the Highways Act. And a letter of claim supported by a photo showing the offending pothole will do the trick without the need for court action if the hole is sufficiently deep and the council doesn't have a good defence. But if the council have already identified the problem but haven't had time to do the repairs, or if they have a proper inspection regime and the hole didn't exist when the road was last inspected they have the making of a good defence.
I won a damn sight more Highways Act claims than I lost, simply because councils don't have the money to have a proper inspection and repair regime.

…But if the council have already identified the problem but haven't had time to do the repairs, or if they have a proper inspection regime and the hole didn't exist when the road was last inspected they have the making of a good defence.
Having tried to squeeze compensation from our local council for damage to my wife's car, it does appear the rules on whether or not they'll pay out varies from place to place.

Here, if the pothole hasn't been reported they won't entertain a claim on the basis that they didn't know about it, but if it's previously been notified about but not repaired then they'll cough up.

I think that is the same rule around here in Shrops./Worcs. as well. The council will only pay up for pot holes that have already been reported, but not yet fixed.

Having tried to squeeze compensation from our local council for damage to my wife's car, it does appear the rules on whether or not they'll pay out varies from place to place.

Here, if the pothole hasn't been reported they won't entertain a claim on the basis that they didn't know about it, but if it's previously been notified about but not repaired then they'll cough up.
The law's the same throughout England and Wales. If they don't know about it it must have developed since they last inspected. It then comes down to whether their inspection regime is adequate, and that depends on the road. A motorway or 70mph dual carriageway must be inspected more often than a country lane that has little traffic.

Slightly OT ...

I'm reminded of a time when I bought a set of Enkei alloys in a +1 size for my Honda Civic. When fitted, there was always a shimmy from the steering wheel. But on the balancing machine, it was absolutely fine. After going back to the tyre shop for the third time, we figured out that the plastic spacer on the centre bore was not locating the wheels concentrically, or it was not bearing the weight of the car. So I got a set of rings machined from metal, which solved the problem.

An OEM wheel won't have that problem. As much as I'd love to have a set of forged BBS RG-R, I take some comfort that my 403M style wheels are made by them and look ace on my car.

Slightly OT ...

I'm reminded of a time when I bought a set of Enkei alloys in a +1 size for my Honda Civic. When fitted, there was always a shimmy from the steering wheel. But on the balancing machine, it was absolutely fine. After going back to the tyre shop for the third time, we figured out that the plastic spacer on the centre bore was not locating the wheels concentrically, or it was not bearing the weight of the car. So I got a set of rings machined from metal, which solved the problem.

An OEM wheel won't have that problem. As much as I'd love to have a set of forged BBS RG-R, I take some comfort that my 403M style wheels are made by them and look ace on my car.

It was 403Ms I sold off our F31 as soon as we got it. Not a fan at all; but didn't help they were refurbed in gloss black, I do not like gloss black! They look much better in a silver or ferric grey IMO

But personal preference is for 18s; so 400Ms for winters and my 'new to me' OEM BMW summer alloys have just landed today; a straight set of 18" 405Ms:

These look superb in the flesh in their satin black finish

403Ms look wrong in black, IMO. Mine are original in Ferric Grey and diamond-cut lacquer. That said, the lacquer is starting to fail in places and I'll probably get them refinished in Ferric Grey all round.

403Ms look wrong in black, IMO. Mine are original in Ferric Grey and diamond-cut lacquer. That said, the lacquer is starting to fail in places and I'll probably get them refinished in Ferric Grey all round.

Yeah. Not a fan of diamond cut wheels at all. They corrode too readily...

Your 403Ms will look spot on in Ferric grey

There's a max height for speed bumps, some are indeed too big. If so, you can claim.
I'd rather just see them removed, I was forever replacing shocks, springs and bushes on my cars in the UK in recent years, I don't recall replacing anything like that in the 80s and 90s. You can't prove that, can you?

There are far fewer in Strasbourg, thankfully. So far, nothing has needed replacing here.

we are the only road around here without speed bumps. When they were installed around here, there was an ex copper, who campaigned vociferously against them, and won out against the council. So we didn't get them. At the time I said we'd become a rat run......and 20 years later guess what - our road is a rat run hosting speeding youth in their Corsa's.

we are the only road around here without speed bumps. When they were installed around here, there was an ex copper, who campaigned vociferously against them, and won out against the council. So we didn't get them. At the time I said we'd become a rat run......and 20 years later guess what - our road is a rat run hosting speeding youth in their Corsa's.
I thought everyone wanted speed bumps and camersa on their road, but not elsewhere. I would.
Meanwhile my cul de sac has a 20 limit, 2 vicious speed bumps and 3 deliberately blind and narrow bends inside 200 yards. There's even a "slow" marking on the road outside my house , 50 yards from the end of the road at about the point where you are selecting 2nd on the way out if you start right at the bottom. Lewis Hamilton couldn't do better than 20 in my road if he tried. I know, I have tried. If I really go for it on the hill I can hit 20 or maybe a bit better on the bike, because it's narrower on the corners and I know the escape routes in case of a car. I wouldn't mind, but I've paid for all this, 2 x 20 signs and road markings on a road where you can't go that fast if you try.

I thought everyone wanted speed bumps and camersa on their road, but not elsewhere

mad ex cop Hoppo campaigned for the opposite!! and many supported his short term vision.......now long after he has departed this world, we are left with a rat run legacy

the reality of the road is one that gets quite narrow where vehicles are parked either side. You would think this would prevent people speeding, but it doesnt......especially white van man and the yoof

Speed bumps should be auto-inflating. If you are above the speed limit, they inflate and trash your suspension. Actually, maybe spikes would be better.

advertisement

Back