advertisement

New wheels

Definitely worth reporting and trying to claim IMO. I obviously view this from a cycling perspective and potholes are just so dangerous to the extent I’ve pretty much given up road cycling now (I far prefer canal paths for recreational cycling). So often you are confronted by a big hole in front that was previously invisible due to other traffic and have a split second to decide whether to plough through, jump, or swerve. All options have considerable risks, especially given just how little room some cars give bikes.

Its not worth it. I didn't take photos, couldn't even confidently say which of the millions of pot holes it happened in, my life is too short even for a couple of grand spending it fighting bureaucracy, I am willing to bet you are the same.

Its not worth it. I didn't take photos, couldn't even confidently say which of the millions of pot holes it happened in, my life is too short even for a couple of grand spending it fighting bureaucracy, I am willing to bet you are the same.
I knew exactly which swimming pool sized pothole did for me, exactly when and had some lovely hi-res pictures. The council strung me along until they could manufacture proof that they had identified the pothole a few days before, meaning it was in hand and there was no more they could do.

I do a lot of motorway miles. I am not a car enthusiast, I have never had issue with run flats, thanks for the link will check it out!

Actually I would rather stick with English websites but thanks I guess!

Just use Chrome to translate if you're that sensitive :rolleyes: Feck...

And stick to RFTs if they're your fancy; but they're why alloys crack; they have no give compared to non RFTs and when you smack potholes; it's the alloys that take the brunt!

Good luck; maybe get the bus instead?!

Sue the council! You pay road tax, the roads should be fit for purpose.
I've been through this process and it's futile.

Depending on where it happened, it's the local council Highways Department, or if it happened on a motorway of a bridge over one, it's the Highways Agency (or whatever they are called today). They should both have an insurance department. They will turn down any claim, even in the face of overwhelming evidence.

So Small Claims is the likely end game. This is silly, but its the game you have to play - councils basically have a policy of rejecting any claims and are obstructive and unhelpful to the point where people think it isn't worth the bother. Going down this route costs more to the taxpayer, but they don't care. It would be cheaper to repair the roads properly in the first place - they have to do it anyway once it has been reported.

Good luck

I walked past an X3 this morning with a rear rim on the ground. Tyre completely shredded, looks like they limped it home and probably screwed the (very large…) wheel as well. It’s ridiculous, totally unsuitable in the real world.

Just popped out and the BMW was being collected by a low loader. Nightmare. No doubt they’ll say ‘well Sir, as it’s an X drive, we recommend you replace all 4 tyres to avoid damaging the drivetrain’. Kerching.

I'd add that the council are responsible for maintaining a record of inspection and repair. With that in mind, and having regard to small claims (as streamlined by Lord Justice Woolf) , it's prudent to furnish the council with your photos and repair quotes and ask to see their records of inspection/repair and ask if they've had a complaint about the hole in question. . If they rebut your claim without giving you those, the court will take note: they could and should have shown you, thus helping inform both sides about the validity of the claim. The point being that they should inspect and repair a major 'A' road more frequently than a single track unclassified lane in the back of beyond.

It worked for me and didn't take long.

If you try getting compensation from the Council, don't write in plain English but have a lawyer (maybe you have a lawyer friend?) write the letter that accompanies the photographs, in "lawyer speak." This will give them the impression that you are serious and could cost them more in legal fees than giving you money for the damaged wheels. I've found this to work on several occasions.

If you change the size of the wheel, make sure you have the same offset. I think it’s the ET number on the rim, or as others have said, you may foul the calipers.
Not sure if it’s true, but will it change the speedometer indication too?

I trashed a low profile wheel once, and it took a shock absorber with it. I tried at length to claim from the council, but they had had the pothole reported already, and that gives them AFAIR up to 24 hours to fix it, which they did shortly after my incident. Barstewards.

^^ you just fit a higher profile tyre to a smaller wheel so the rolling circumference remains the same.

Jeez...according to the AA site linked to above by Bob McC "Potholes have cost the UK's councils more than £3.7million in compensation in the last 18 months."

Sell the old wheels and tyres on ebay or px them at the breakers. Run flats are awful.
Slightly OT but modern runflats are not awful. I've got P7 C2 runflats on my car and they are superb.

As per others I'd be making a claim on the council.

advertisement

Back