advertisement

New Porsche Cayman....6 pot and No Turbo!!!

I don’t think there’s much resistance to EVs for the core use of a car. However, as a driver’s car that challenges with manual gear changes, punishes clumsy braking, and publicises heavy throttle applications.... They’ll be fast. Already are. But just as a Formula E car, or even a 2020 WRC car does nothing for me when compared to a 1975 Formula Ford car or works Group B car, they’re not going to please me. They’ll be a tool. But I’ll be too old to give a hoot and might be able to get by with autonomous EV taxis instead. Could convert the garage into a listening room then, if I can still hear owt.

Same here, I'd chop my work van in for a self driving EV equivalent in a heartbeat, 40k miles a year playing on my phone or catching up on some sleep is a no-brainer.

you're putting a lot of things together there and assuming a link. EVs, rare earth magnets, neodymium, sea mining. EVs use Nd magnets. So do lots of other motors, including loudspeakers. Nd isn't mined at sea but on land. Unless you can establish a link and evidence that it's a significant contribution to global Nd use, all I'm seeing is a series of things that happen to coincide.
It's not that it's happening now. The point is where the stuff comes from when EVs virtually take over from ICE. Note that China paused export of Neodymium as while back which caused a halt in several speakers drivers being produced. Many people have said there isn't enough Neodymium being produced...so other sources will need to be found. The worry is the oceans with be raped to "save the planet" with EVs. It's just something to look at and bear in mind. Moving wholesale to a different technology is bound to have a whole series different issues to the one being replaced. What I'm saying is don't assume EVs come without their own set of concerns. I'm not saying they won't be overcome as tech develops...but it's not automatically all ok.

One of the features of rare earth magnets is that they are easily identifiable and easy to recycle, like lead acid batteries.
The recycling infrastructure is missing

advertisement

Back