advertisement

New Porsche Cayman....6 pot and No Turbo!!!

While we wait another 30 years to wear out our ICE cars you can do a lot for the environment by covering less miles; probably more if you could halve mileage.

I've stopped going to the office, work from home and use the phone more; think about the necessity of journeys, short trips are most polluting.

Still not sure for continental trips about the choice between drive all the way and fly / hire car at destination. Maybe one day I won't be able to justify going to see the family, maybe they'll be sent home after Boris's negotiations.
Not disagreeing, but to add a bit of context I read a startling statistic the other day: apparently the ‘internet’ (which I think includes cloud services, server farms, etc) is now responsible for 1.5-2% of global CO2 emissions, which is the same as aviation. So working from home isn’t quite the panacea it might be thought to be, though it is clearly preferable to commuting.

I am not really interested in these types of performance cars (i am turning into a climate nazi and high performance IC cars are becoming morally questionable, IMO), but are any you guys interested in the new electric offerings eg the Taycan or the tesla model 3?

as I understand it, in real world driving these new performance electric cars have the measure of pretty much all internal combustion engined cars. If it is performance you are looking at, surely electric is the way to go?

I am probably getting a Tesla 3 later this year as a company car replacing my diesel X5. Looking forward to it.

Not disagreeing, but to add a bit of context I read a startling statistic the other day: apparently the ‘internet’ (which I think includes cloud services, server farms, etc) is now responsible for 1.5-2% of global CO2 emissions, which is the same as aviation. So working from home isn’t quite the panacea it might be thought to be, though it is clearly preferable to commuting.
Yes, but this is a bit like saying that more accidents happen in the home than in building sites, therefore homes are more dangerous. You have to weigh the impact against the number of people using the item. Everyone goes home, very few of us go in building sites. By the same token most of us only fly a couple of times a year, while everybody has a phone that they use to look at the net.

Thanks.
Not that easy (one chart had Albania at 100% electricity is from renewable which is surprising) but a couple of google sources put it at 18% in 2018 globally, so maybe 20% now.
Sounds about right but I'm sure someone will tell us if it is not.
You have to bear in mind that a power station burns fuel in a much cleaner fashion than an engine. It's more efficient because it's a steady-state thing and not subject to cold starts. My car does 20mpg for the 2 mile journey to the office, and 45 on a run. Power stations are the same every day.

A very quick google gave:

“In the third quarter of 2019, some 39% of UK electricity generation was from coal, oil and gas, including 38% from gas and less than 1% from coal and oil combined. Another 40% came from renewables, including 20% from wind, 12% from biomass and 6% from solar.”

From Carbonbrief.org.

6% from solar in the third quarter? Surprisingly good for the UK, I think.

Indeed, the 'thrill of driving' is absent.

which ones have you driven?

I've driven an i3, a Leaf and an Ioniq - all have no thrill of driving, but then again neither have their ICE equivalents......so no loss there.

In the context of the thread, about Porsche Cayman/Boxster sports cars, which all electric Porsche have you driven?

Indeed, the 'thrill of driving' is absent.

They don't compare to a Caterham or sports car but not many cars do. I have driven the Tesla S and it is an exciting drive, fast for sure but as all the weight is so low down it is a pretty decent car to whip around a tight country road, at least as good as an equivalent BMW or Merc.

which ones have you driven?

I've driven an i3, a Leaf and an Ioniq - all have no thrill of driving, but then again neither have their ICE equivalents......so no loss there.

In the context of the thread, about Porsche Cayman/Boxster sports cars, which all electric Porsche have you driven?

Those 3 cars have no ICE equivalents. I've not driven an electric Porsche, I have no desire to either.
Have driven a Tesla S, no drama at all.

Has anyone ever bought a new Tesla outright I wonder? I'm assuming most of them are leased?

With the hits the used ones at dealers have taken it'd be painful to think anyone had shelled out 85-100k readies on an S.

I wonder what the second hand market is like? are people brave enough to be sinking 50-60kk in to a used one?

What will it be worth when they come to sell?

advertisement

Back