advertisement

New PCB for shoebox size NAC preamp part IV

I just wasn't sure if I could use any BC550C or if it had to be the one Jim had listed.
I will just grab somthing from RS.
Thanks, Ray

My RS box arrived yesterday so I'm happly planting resistors and hoping there arn't any nasty gremilins at the end.
I still don't have a Potentiometer, Jim suggested a 20k Alps pot from farnell I know he used a 50K pot and I'm wondering if I could maybe substitute this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350310953173&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT its only about £10 more than the one Jim suggested
I would appreciate your opinions, advise or warnings!

Thanks, Ray

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks all, the £10 jobie it is then.
Looked at those goldpoint Steped Att,,,, are they a noticeable improvement?,,,,, Hopefully this won't start a war!

Ray

Thanks all, the £10 jobie it is then.
Looked at those goldpoint Steped Att,,,, are they a noticeable improvement?,,,,, Hopefully this won't start a war!

Ray

Definitely. Possibly one of the best available (no war please!) I admit I haven't got one yet myself, but certainly plan to.

A few people one here have got them for the fish, and all comments were positive.

I have got two of their knobs and they are excellent.

Rich

The Goldpoints are more than noticeable. They're astounding!

If you've got a digital gain adjustment on your digital source or DAC, and that's all you listen to, then you can go potless for zero money.

Well this is a first build for me, it's all going to be a learning curve.
I don't even have power amps to try it out on but I may disable the pre stage on my EL34 to use it with that for a while; assuming it tests OK on a friends osciliscope first that is.
I thought building Starfish may be a daunting first build but I always tend to throw myself in the deep end and I'm am really enjoying all this soldering.
Thanks for all the assistance guys!

Ray

What is the present situation for ordering Starfish boards from the USA? Is the shopping cart on your wife's site still limited to UK orders?

What is the present situation for ordering Starfish boards from the USA? Is the shopping cart on your wife's site still limited to UK orders?

Hi Yank,

Just email us through the website and we can arrange everything for you.
Shipping to the USA not a problem - many fish already resident there :)

Jim.

Ray,

I used 0.4 mm, RS part number 357-738 for the chokes. It fitted the ferrites I used (RS 482-6575) perfectly. In fact I bought a whole 0.5 Kg reel which I'm unlikely to ever use up so I could pop some in an envelope for you. It happens to be sitting here on my desk as I was using it yesterday.

John

advertisement

Back