advertisement

New Naim streamer preamp

"Naim New Classic conclusion
I think it’s safe to say that Naim has got its mojo back with the first fruit of the New Classic range. Not only have they made their core products more attractive, more fully featured and easy to use but they sound more like the Naim products that put the brand on the map."

I read above conclusion part as a message, Mojo back, more attractive and sound is more like older products...not clear which vintage older models.? No mentioning which items didn't have Mojo ? No mention of price in saying more attractive..

Not sure - I thought there was a bit more to it than that. Whatever the changes were, they did make a difference, although I don't think I am alone in thinking that the 52 was in fact the more enjoyable listen, if not the "better hi fi".
Anyway it probably wasn't as good as the ATC CDA2 I know have.

Not sure - I thought there was a bit more to it than that. Whatever the changes were, they did make a difference, although I don't think I am alone in thinking that the 52 was in fact the more enjoyable listen, if not the "better hi fi".
The 252 and 52 are completely and utterly different both physically and in their sound signature.

Funny how the 252 evokes so many different reactions. It confuses the heck out of me. I can't imagine the 52 has literally the exact same circuitry as the 252. Each generation has changed significantly from before, although I have only ever heard Classic.

They do not look remotely the same in terms of the internals:

NAC 52

41e12f74f2c7c4e64ce399115a67975472cb9ebe_2_690x462.jpeg

NAC 252

572b35c41f3ce9857c8b3b4f349ea17a48aa58ed.jpeg

Each generation has changed significantly from before, although I have only ever heard Classic.
Might be true for some generation changes, but as a general statement this does not hold up well. Same circuits, components, assembly just a move to CAD drawn versus hand drawn PCBs for CB to Olive, still people have huge personnel preference for one over the other ...

still people have huge personnel preference for one over the other ...

Related to streamer preamp..I'd never buy a streamer and preamp in one cabinet, at least not at the new classic prices.
I'm a firm believer to have separated source to amp and so on.
That said I have a Unitiqute in the office :D

My 222 and 300 arrived last week and are settling in nicely. Still early days but so far I am really impressed with the SQ. The system is sounding fabulous, the MM phono stage works really well with my Dynavector 10X5, though this cartridge will be upgraded soon following recent LP12 upgrades, so a MC stage will probably be needed at some point. I had heard the 222/300 and 250DR into ATCSCM40s in my dealers a couple of times so knew what to expect, I think that in my room, the system sounds better. The bass is much better controlled and deeper, mids are clearer and more articulate, no doubt benefitting from the ATC dome mid, and upper frequencies are sharper and better defined without harshness. Imagery and spatial positioning are significantly better. I am a very happy punter. As ever excellent service from the team at Audio T Brighton who installed the system and John did an amazing job with the many upgrades and set-up on the LP12. At some point, I will upgrade the 250DR to the NC250 but I think I now have my endpoint system, well my bank account hopes so.

My 222 and 300 arrived last week and are settling in nicely. Still early days but so far I am really impressed with the SQ. The system is sounding fabulous, the MM phono stage works really well with my Dynavector 10X5, though this cartridge will be upgraded soon following recent LP12 upgrades, so a MC stage will probably be needed at some point. I had heard the 222/300 and 250DR into ATCSCM40s in my dealers a couple of times so knew what to expect, I think that in my room, the system sounds better. The bass is much better controlled and deeper, mids are clearer and more articulate, no doubt benefitting from the ATC dome mid, and upper frequencies are sharper and better defined without harshness. Imagery and spatial positioning are significantly better. I am a very happy punter. As ever excellent service from the team at Audio T Brighton who installed the system and John did an amazing job with the many upgrades and set-up on the LP12. At some point, I will upgrade the 250DR to the NC250 but I think I now have my endpoint system, well my bank account hopes so.

Given the cost of the NC250, you may opt to hear a 300DR too. A s/h or even ex-dem example might well be cheaper than an NC250 and bring more of an upgrade - if you ever feel a strong need to go beyond a 250DR.

Given the cost of the NC250, you may opt to hear a 300DR too. A s/h or even ex-dem example might well be cheaper than an NC250 and bring more of an upgrade - if you ever feel a strong need to go beyond a 250DR.
It had crossed my mind, but I really want to keep to a 3 box system.

I have already heard the NC250 into my speakers and liked it and it is better than the 250DR which I feel is slightly better than the active 40s. Having spent £4k on the Linn recently I need to get some cash together to upgrade the DR to the NC250.

advertisement

Back