advertisement

New Naim streamer preamp

I'm not quite sure why I was ticked off, this seem to be ages ago and it will never be repealed it seem.
Never mind - I did certainly criticise the terrible Sopra speakers, maybe I said Snaic or Teddy, who knows.
No longer a place for anything near free speech, very restricted, my goodness I'd not want that moderator job for all the money in the world.

No, they didn’t, and it would indeed have been ridiculous. It was their head of comms who took umbrage at me expressing my dislike of Focal speakers, as though opinions were ok, so long as they were positive. I can see their point, as it’s a manufacturer run Forum and there was name slagging off the speakers. Maybe I was simply too blunt, but it was very much like being told off by teacher.

Just read these posts. Well, I presume it's only with Focal speakers and not Naim gear? I don't recall being told off by the moderator (Richard) for saying that Naim amps sound worse than another amp from a different manufacturer on their own forum? I am sure I have mentioned it several times on the Naim forum (on the Luxman thread :p). Perhaps the French are not as tolerant as the Brits and view any small complaint on Focal speakers as a threat to their sales? Their speakers are not selling incredibly well anyway so it does not matter too much.

I've encountered worse on the Harbeth forum and have departed from the clan about a decade ago. The speakers are also gone already since last year. Had them for more than a decade.

Not that much air

FLATCAP-2-180133-13.JPG

This one gets me every time. I am not sure why they can't use the same Hicap case to make the Flatcap.

It had crossed my mind, but I really want to keep to a 3 box system.
That's definitely nothing to be sneezed at. Box counts in Naim land can very quickly multiply and take up a lot of rack real estate.

The new NAP 250 looks good. Do give a detailed report of how it's like, and versus 250DR once you get it and have a good listen in your system.

This one gets me every time. I am not sure why they can't use the same Hicap case to make the Flatcap.

It's totally logical IMO as it makes stacking all the 5 series electronics far easier and more aesthetically pleasing as well as meaning they only have to manufacture one case which for a 'budget' range makes sense in terms of cost efficiency and manufacturing tooling.

Back in the day of the 32/42/62/72 the two case sizes worked OK as the Hi-Cap and pre would occupy the same space as a 250 more or less but as soon as they went to full width pre-amps the Hi-Cap became a bit incongruous and difficult to stack aesthetically with the full width boxes.

So to me the full width flatcap makes complete sense and laughing at all the space inside is just the mark of someone who doesn't understand manufacturing and/or marketing very well.

laughing at all the space inside is just the mark of someone who doesn't understand manufacturing and/or marketing very well.

Interesting view, I don't laugh but neither do I understand your statement, what is it people don't understand ?
Perhaps you can explain ?

For what it’s worth, I’ve had an NDX2 for two years and both it and the app have been faultless. We hear far more from those with issues, frequently from operator error, than from those who are perfectly happy with something.

It will be interesting to see how displays, selector buttons and volume knobs get integrated into the new design.
Likely to affect value of our NDX2

Naim have already posted on their website about some of the product to be launched. There are strong hints that something else is coming, the strongest rumour it is a revamp of an iconic earlier product that caused a bit of stir when it was announced many years back. Personally, all I am interested in is the phono stage and power supply. I am very happy with my 222/NPX300 and 2 and a bit months in the SQ is getting better and better and won't be changing this but might add the phono stage with or without the power supply.

Naim have already posted on their website about some of the product to be launched. There are strong hints that something else is coming, the strongest rumour it is a revamp of an iconic earlier product that caused a bit of stir when it was announced many years back. Personally, all I am interested in is the phono stage and power supply. I am very happy with my 222/NPX300 and 2 and a bit months in the SQ is getting better and better and won't be changing this but might add the phono stage with or without the power supply.

The iconic product is very likely the 135s, with the new NAP 350 being their spiritual descendent. Everyone seems to think it will be two mono amps, which I guess would be based on the NC 250, just as the 135s were based on the CB 250. We shall find out tomorrow.
How about a new Nait or 72 in an Atom sized box? With a size matching Highcap and NAP100?

advertisement

Back