advertisement

New Naim streamer preamp

Now officially assembled in Slovakia

693c4f283e1b6d148bdee7828f76cfdad42cb358.jpeg

I'm a bit surprised the strange logistic going on.

Parts seem to be shipped from Salisbury to Slovakia.
After assembling, Slovakia have to return the final product back to UK for testing.

Must be a temporary solution ?

Ah yes, sorry I miss read, I have a NAP 300 and having made my own cables I had to deal with the non standard L&R un balanced inputs. I thought that in adopting the option of balanced inputs on the new NAP 250 that Naim had flipped the polarity of one of those channels!

I presume that they haven't!
Hi Roog,
my workaround was for 222 -> 'old' nap300. Of course this wouldn't apply to the new 250 with balanced inputs.
Stefan

After assembling, Slovakia have to return the final product back to UK for testing.

Why would it have to go back to UK if it were to be sold in the EU? Or is the one in your post definitely a UK sale unit?

A fair number of companies use similar approaches these days.
Also, Naim has stated several times it is a temporary arrangement and has made a similar number of comments about all completed units being inspected and tested in Salisbury.

Some people? I know many Naim owners, I've yet to meet one who prefers heaps of those black boxes over fewer that would gave the same sound. Perhaps those who just love multiple boxes would give their opinion?
I can imagine that for someone seriously invested in the idea of modularity, a techie or biologist perhaps, there would be satisfaction to be had in contemplating a stack of functionally specialized boxes all working together to do their systemic thing.

Hi, did anyone connect the 222 to a nap 300 with standard xlr cables, please? I expected phase reversal between the channels, but in reality only the left channel / speaker gives sound…

Hi, did anyone connect the 222 to a nap 300 with standard xlr cables, please? I expected phase reversal between the channels, but in reality only the left channel / speaker gives sound…

You will need a special lead I believe which Naim can supply.

Now that sufficient time has passed and I am no longer bound by a contract of silence, I can reveal exclusively that Naim, knowing how discerning & perceptive I was for all things audio, commissioned me to home trial their latest hi-fi component - a single box incorporating 3xNAP500s, a NAC552, and all their associated power supplies in a single box! I was very impressed with its appearance; friends and neighbours were very awed, and on viewing the device instantly realised how wonderful, rich, and important I must be. Unfortunately, although the mastery of its construction was an awesome sight to behold, alas the downside was the unfeasibly massive weight of the thing, and my experience came to an abrupt halt when the whole shebang fell through the floor. Amazing I know, but absolutely true!

EFtoMPr.jpg

Looks like the prototype for the Statement :)

Could be interesting. I thought this was fake to be honest.
It would be rather worrying if you thought otherwise!

I was rather sceptical about the new design, but having now seen them in the metal/perspex I’ve rather changed my mind. The dip on the top is still a dust trap, but the way the logo sits behind the front panel is very clever and to me very attractive. It looks so much more classy than the green lozenge, and can be dimmed. The whole caboodle can be set to go into standby together, which has got to be better than having lots of boxes burning power.

The whole Slovakia thing is unfortunate, but it seems it was that or massive backlogs, the lesser of two evils.

that or massive backlogs

This does seem very likely HH, if quite tragic, if we cannot, afford to or plan for, building a well established branded premium product in the UK what hope is there?

Amazing to think that the industrial revolution started in the UK.

if we cannot, afford to or plan for, building a well established branded premium product in the UK what hope is there?

I believe their decision is more complex
Backlogs or not
indeed it seems as NSC222 fly off the shelves.

Focal and French management think profit first, and might not have that "Made in Salisbury UK" feeling.

Decision to have an EU based manufacturer location open up for increased turnover and profit.
If the Slovakia location turn on to be "satisfying" a further reduction for Salisbury becoming a satellite and development center.

advertisement

Back