advertisement

New Naim streamer preamp

Comments from a disinterested observer:

1. Seems to be targeted at the Luxury Goods segment of the audiophile market.

2. Awkward styling. Subjective, I know. At this price they should have done better. Compare its looks to T+A, LINDEMANN streamers, not to mention B&O.

3. No HDMI eARC. A serious omission in a new product.

4. No digital outputs as far as I can tell. Why were they removed?

5. TI 1791 DAC, not top of the line ESS or AKM. Adequate, albeit not quite State of the Art. At this price one expects better.

(https://www.ti.com/product/PCM1791A)

6. Fewer digital inputs. Again, why?

7. No mention of aptX Lossless BT .

So, compared to its predecessor this is a decontented streamer in new clothes with an updated streaming platform, but lacking several useful features, at a significantly higher price. The feature set is closer to that of the old NAC 172. I doubt the 222 will be competitive in the US market.

FlokijqXgAQEhX1

The NSC 222 has been hit hard with the BMW Mercedes ugly stick .

Others may have mentioned this ( it's a long thread ) but L and R XLR outputs on the NSC 222 and L and R XLR inputs on the new 250 would make both incompatible with existing Pre and Power amps . Especially if they are balanced connections, going to make upgrading expensive and more painful than it might have been .

The feature set is closer to that of the old NAC 172. I doubt the 222 will be competitive in the US market.
I don’t know if Naim had every really been competitive in NA. There’s one small dealer here in Seattle who carries several other brands. Naim seems very scarce on the second hand market here compared to across the pond. Could be wrong!

Last edited:
Although it looks very well built (as all Naim products) the design could have been better: that part in the middle is just wrong. What not a simple case and find a new theme on to support the new design?

I have the complete 5x series and I like it very much. It is elegant, quiet and functional. A timeless design with more than 20 years.

We had our new NSC 222 and NPX 300 delivered today. Designed and made in the UK by Naim Audio, Salisbury. SP1 2LN :)

323453889_3426597307577258_6790149902364170053_n.jpg

323883136_1415142475979424_8094260825488865639_n.jpg

323946305_485629956986493_2473632704632074453_n.jpg
what are they sounding like? where would they fit in sound wise to the older stuff? im guessing better than a ndx2/282/hicap/250?

Comments from a disinterested observer:

1. Seems to be targeted at the Luxury Goods segment of the audiophile market.

2. Awkward styling. Subjective, I know. At this price they should have done better. Compare its looks to T+A, LINDEMANN streamers, not to mention B&O.

3. No HDMI eARC. A serious omission in a new product.

4. No digital outputs as far as I can tell. Why were they removed?

5. TI 1791 DAC, not top of the line ESS or AKM. Adequate, albeit not quite State of the Art. At this price one expects better.

(https://www.ti.com/product/PCM1791A)

6. Fewer digital inputs. Again, why?

7. No mention of aptX Lossless BT .

So, compared to its predecessor this is a decontented streamer in new clothes with an updated streaming platform, but lacking several useful features, at a significantly higher price. The feature set is closer to that of the old NAC 172. I doubt the 222 will be competitive in the US market.

Am I reading that this 222 can’t be used with an external DAC ?!?

what are they sounding like? where would they fit in sound wise to the older stuff? im guessing better than a ndx2/282/hicap/250?

I believe these are considered as replacement for 272/XPSDR

Guess the new 300 series analog preamp & streamer would replace 282/NDX2

No idea how the new range replace a Hicap

I believe these are considered as replacement for 272/XPSDR

Guess the new 300 series analog preamp & streamer would replace 282/NDX2

No idea how the new range replace a Hicap
yea they are for sure mate, but with the prices being higher, new designs, more elaborate psu i was wondering where they fit in.
I suspect when the new preamp comes out with the new 300 that will replace both the 282 and 252. i bet the price on the new preamp without psu is going to be 10k. that would make sense because the price difference between a 252 and a 552 is huge (closing the gap a bit)

you would hope the 222 on its own sounds better than a 202 and with the psu 282

the new 300 psu replaces all psu's as far as i can tell,there would be no need for a hicap because they wont do a pre at that level is my guess

advertisement

Back