advertisement

New Naim streamer preamp

Way out of my price range, but like the styling.

although all different products, there’s a definite house style now that can be seen in the Uniti, 200, solstice and muso.

What makes you think that? Has it been that way when the Olive series has been phased out?

Hi – firstly, good luck to Naim with the new kit as one of the few remaining hifi companies still manufacturing in the UK.

Answering your question, it was just a thought, and as always down to personal take and preference.

Me, I don’t much like the appearance of the new casing and the insipid white logo. Change for the sake of change. I also wouldn’t buy boxes with integrated net services; keep them separate. Other comparisons, I’d guess no significant (if any) change in sound quality between old and new NAP250, or, the pre-amp sections, unless Naim have further tweaked what the user himself could be left to do if given amplifier tone controls. It might be found that the volume control has been improved in function (a plus factor, but at what a cost!) though aesthetically that also doesn’t sit with me.

Analogy with olive Naim? I as I understand it this was a more significant change to sound, as well as appearance, but many did/do consider it classic (I like olive stuff). However, I think the difference from the olive comparison is that the greenlit black classic range is much closer to the new whitelit range, will be much lower cost used, and might be considered aesthetically better. I would take the point though that the new range might be intended to reduce box-count, an important consideration, though I'd expect Naim still to be pushing 'improved sound with additional power supplies'!

I’m quite liking the case. It looks a bit like a couple of shoeboxes on the ends (subliminal by Naim ?).

A bit surprised that there is no separate pre without a streamer but let’s see what the future brings.

The pricing is too much for me but as I have said so many times before, Naim really is a first class marketing company.

‘Designed and developed in Salisbury’… but no longer made there? And a six grand NPX300 solely for digital sections of the preamp?

Shark well and truly jumped. And the industrial design really is fugly IMHO.

Shame really.
They clearly say designed and made in UK by Naim Salisbury on the rear of the units, think marketing decided to emphasis design in, which I think is a faux par, Apple say they are designed in California but we all know made in China..

5750 GBP vs 8999USD. What's up with that exchange rate?

US prices are always quoted without tax so it will be approx $9500 which is £7886 at todays exchange rate :eek:.
My guess for the retail price was quite close for the US customers.

I wander what the service prices will be in the US? Given that they charge $995+tax to service a NAC 42.5, I suspect that the seven year service charge for the new preamp (complete recap and new screen) will be circa $2.5k + tax

$27K US for a streaming preamp, external power supply and 100W x2 amp - with only an MM phono input, so this is Naim's starter level separates system. Nearly $30,000!!!
You do not need the power supply, so you are looking at 18K. And it is not a starter separates system, you still have the 5i and XS series before.You could also choose the Supernait 3 and NDX2, but this won t be much cheaper.

You do not need the power supply, so you are looking at 18K. And it is not a starter separates system, you still have the 5i and XS series before.You could also choose the Supernait 3 and NDX2, but this won t be much cheaper.
Not sure the 5i (si?) series is there any more. From Signals website:
Uniti, Nait XS, Supernait 3, ND 5XS 2, and NDX 2 all remain in production unchanged. Similarly, changes to the 500 series, whilst inevitable, are not envisaged for a considerable period of time.

Curious now on when the NSS-333 will be presented (I assume it should take over the role of NDX-2).
Now that we have familiarised ourselves with the 200 series, when will the 300 series will be rolled out? :D

PS: I can already imagine the pricing for each 300 box being equal to the 200 ones (but NAC332 requires an obligatory NPX-300 to function and NAP"300" comes in a mono-pair so 2x the single box pricing :eek:). And then of course the NSS-333 with its own optional NPX-300 upgrade. Total of 6 boxes. Life will become so boring with a single PS for everything :D:p

advertisement

Back