advertisement

New budget Naim.

Jon Honeyball has reported that the new amp makes even hackneyed dem tracks wonderful

Having destroyed the residuals on the 555 POS it wouldn't do to leave the 552/500 owners with anything in the kitty, would it... nobody likes being made to feel second best.

Could we put this 'trickle down' baloney to bed. As it is in the world of economics with regard to wealth then so it is with regard to technology. Improved technology may be applied in lower end models but the price of those models rises non-commensurately and, in effect, ends up subsidising the (loss-making) flagship/statement models. The little man subsidises the big man-it is never the other way round-how could it be?

the 001 ended up in the later 140, whereas the early 140 had sanken packages. QED - there is trickle-down in Naim stuff, has been for decades. Did the 140 suddenly cost more? No, just the standard annual price rises. Did it sound better? You can bet your boots.

consuela-maid-family-guy.jpg

Imagine if she dinks the heatsinks with the Hoover......

Surprised there'e so much emphasis on the power output, this is becoming a busy market sector esp in the USA.
Most of the larger three ways require a similar amp to get full performance out.
Naim almost need a product like this to keep up with Bryston and EC.

As for bragging rights it's only people like the few of us here who have any idea what audio gear can be worth. Apart from the PMC team no one has ever been to ours who'd have any idea what Naim, PMC, Crown cost; it's meaningless.

Purchaser:- My statement sounds a little off........

Seller:- Ah you will be needing another upgrade, the super statement V2i

:D:D:D

Steve Sells is currently designing new upgrade external power supplies, interconnects and power leads as we speak.

I'm waiting for the latest Doug Graham sales spin video................

or will this product be only sold direct from the factory to the customer?

A lot of green eyes around here today... - one can easily spend 200K on a watch, in fact, a vintage Rolex Daytona just nudged $1 million at Christie's.

Good analogy, considering a $50 seiko is much better at keeping time.

Here's the spin if you are the sort to have the money in these difficult times.

I may have splashed out £140+k on a stereo, but I have supported French business and possibly saved British jobs

I may have splashed out £140+k on a stereo, but I have supported French business and possibly saved British jobs

If Naim still operates in the UK, pay taxes and employs staff in the UK, then that's about as good enough as being a British business regardless of their recent French connections.

It would have been a fundamentally good idea to have launched the F4 Berlinetta Junior, perhaps manufactured in the Far East at a £7400 price point, 5 door hatch, etc, to counterbalance the F12 Berlinetta. Convertible into a camper, etc. This is what people have been waiting for Ferrari to do for the best part of two decades. So do it.

makes good sense to overwhelmingly kill the value of your brand with cheap tat. If you only have 400 to spend, there's a used Nait 5. If you must have half width, there's the Nait 2 - only they've gone well beyond 400 quid now....

Ferarri have never done affordable and that's not their brand. Comparatively speaking, Naim have done affordable in the past, and as a previous devotee of the Naim brand, I doubt I'm alone in being unhappy about what looks like their direction of travel.

There's not reason why affordable kit needs to be labelled as 'tat' simply because it's affordable.

If Naim still operates in the UK, pay taxes and employs staff in the UK, then that's about as good enough as being a British business regardless of their recent French connections.

Try PR. I don't do it, personally.

Could we put this 'trickle down' baloney to bed. As it is in the world of economics with regard to wealth then so it is with regard to technology. Improved technology may be applied in lower end models but the price of those models rises non-commensurately and, in effect, ends up subsidising the (loss-making) flagship/statement models. The little man subsidises the big man-it is never the other way round-how could it be?

I find this counter intuitive. R & D on a new project is surely the major cost. Creating the manufacturing processes to enable this advancement to go into production is surely a major cost.

Everything I've known as an technically innovative advance (e.g. televisions over the last 65 years) have had a high price tag, with successive models with the same technology being cheaper, and cheaper....and cheaper.

Once the technology is proven and R & D costs recouped, it surely costs less to incorporate this advance into lower-cost production runs.

I find this counter intuitive. R & D on a new project is surely the major cost. Creating the manufacturing processes to enable this advancement to go into production is surely a major cost.

Everything I've known as an technically innovative advance (e.g. televisions over the last 65 years) have had a high price tag, with successive models with the same technology being cheaper, and cheaper....and cheaper.

Once the technology is proven and R & D costs recouped, it surely costs less to incorporate this advance into lower-cost production runs.

This is not necessarily true , otherwise all new cars would start of at £100,000.

It is possible to price appropriately and sell millions to recoup R & D , however certain niche cache products must start of expensive , so the few who buy can have the thrill of ownership .

OK, all things aside there's a fairly level-headed aspect to this no-one's thinking here.

This is the kind of product that legitimises brands in the aspiration-driven East. It's why VAG still makes Bugatti - remember it reputedly loses money on each Veyron built - because it cements a connection with the mainstream products, and that burgeoning middle class end up buying a VW instead of a Jianghuai. It obviously works because VW sells more cars in China than General Motors now.

That this big Statement exists will likely mean Naim will sell more products into Russia and China. Naim then promotes British custom engineering excellence (forget the nerd-fuelled piss and vinegar here - to an independent observer, this is hardcore stuff), jobs are kept and even if there's no 'trickle down' to be had here, there will be a perception of trickle-down design elements.

It's immaterial whether it was built to drive Focals or made to meet a demand by the super-rich that we have no way of understanding. Ultimately, this puts British audio (potentially not just Naim Audio) back in the spotlight, as the makers or the finest products (a lot of) money can buy. Whether it delivers on that promise in real terms is relatively unimportant too, as long as it doesn't do embarrassing explosions or sets fire to people, it will win the perception game just like Bugatti wins that game for VAG.

Finally, you can tell there's some massive point missing going on here - everyone's describing the amp as delivering 746 watts, while Naim is saying it's 1hp per channel. No one who buys this thing will latch onto 746W, but they will ALL remember it in terms of horsepower.

Naim can now be enjoyed by the housewives of Orange County or maybe even the Kardashians.

Yeah, laugh it up... but do you know how much money you'd have to pay to get your product placement in Meet The Kardashians? Tragically, if Naim ponied up the hundreds of thousands of dollars needed to have the likes of Kim Kardashian squat over the products for a season, they'd have an army of brainless knuckle-dragging fat-arse wannabes with the IQ of chewing gum buying Naim.

We live in a world where that kind of nonsense sells. Everything is a popularity contest now. Get used to it.

Try PR. I don't do it, personally.

Oh dear, let's not bother discuss the advantages of selling hyper luxury goods that makes the wealthy actually part with their cash and let's just accuse people on a forum that they work for Naim whenever they have something positive to say about them.

OK, all things aside there's a fairly level-headed aspect to this no-one's thinking here.

This is the kind of product that legitimises brands in the aspiration-driven East. It's why VAG still makes Bugatti - remember it reputedly loses money on each Veyron built - because it cements a connection with the mainstream products, and that burgeoning middle class end up buying a VW instead of a Jianghuai. It obviously works because VW sells more cars in China than General Motors now.

That this big Statement exists will likely mean Naim will sell more products into Russia and China. Naim then promotes British custom engineering excellence (forget the nerd-fuelled piss and vinegar here - to an independent observer, this is hardcore stuff), jobs are kept and even if there's no 'trickle down' to be had here, there will be a perception of trickle-down design elements.

It's immaterial whether it was built to drive Focals or made to meet a demand by the super-rich that we have no way of understanding. Ultimately, this puts British audio (potentially not just Naim Audio) back in the spotlight, as the makers or the finest products (a lot of) money can buy. Whether it delivers on that promise in real terms is relatively unimportant too, as long as it doesn't do embarrassing explosions or sets fire to people, it will win the perception game just like Bugatti wins that game for VAG.

Finally, you can tell there's some massive point missing going on here - everyone's describing the amp as delivering 746 watts, while Naim is saying it's 1hp per channel. No one who buys this thing will latch onto 746W, but they will ALL remember it in terms of horsepower.

The big difference is that a Veyron is demonstrably faster than the competition.

Unless the new Pwer amps are badly designed, they will be transparent, just like all the other transparent amps out there.

Chris

advertisement

Back