advertisement

New budget Naim.

Not as you put it. There remain quite a few other reasons for any business in any sector to merge so (hint, and funding operations is probably rather low on the list.)

Also bear in mind these figures could come from repeat customers not necessarily new ones. Given Naims marketing strategy to hook customers into upgrades it seems more likely.

- they're releasing more products each year, and have really gone hard on the streaming media stuff - from entry level to flagship.

They have certainly put out a lot of products, but the strategy does not seem to be very coherent. Why include a DAC in the streamers, for example, when they also sell an upgradeable DAC? What actually differentiates the streaming products as you move from entry level to flagship? (Hint: I believe they all contain the same off the shelf streaming module, so it's the DAC and analogue circuitry)

- the serial numbers list is on the site. 1980's - around 10,000 items produced each year. 1990's, 11-15,000 per year. 2000's, 13-15,000 per year. the 'teens' - 15-20,000 items per year. They produce to order, JIT - no stockpiling. If the production numbers are up, sales are up.

Given the number of different products on sale, the number of units of each product being sold has probably dropped substantially. Each new product will have incurred R&D and tooling costs so the picture is probably not as rosy as the raw numbers suggest.

Hey. Leema Acoustics produce 1kw power amps and use electronic volume controls with no audible steps.

Does this mean that Naim are catching up?

What next, they may move away from quasi complementary designs.

I won't be going back to 52/135s also used for 15 years either but their products are still excellent and I hope millionaires enjoy and appreciate them.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

So much to do, so little time.

A stitch in time saves nine.

I don't have a drinking problem except when I can't get a drink.

A gentleman is someone who can play the accordion, but doesn't.

Most of the people I admire, they usually smell funny and don't get out much.

There ain't no devil there's just god when he's drunk.

There's no prayer like desire.

Really? So a £5K PSU is worth it? A rectangular box with a couple of green lights and some copper cabling inside :confused:

Make one and sell it for a profit to people who want to buy it from you.

People have no concept of what it costs to design, engineer and produce a product.

Clueless.

A company that is doing OK does not need to merge with another bigger company in order to fund its operations..... Just saying.

Unless you were present at the board meeting you don't know.

Lots of companies doing really rather better than OK merge.

Do you work for KPMG or the like?

Make one and sell it for a profit to people who want to buy it from you.

People have no concept of what it costs to design, engineer and produce a product in the UK.

Clueless.

Given a different slant for you FP - hope you don't mind.

It shocks me just how expensive it is to do business in the UK. Everyone wants a slice of the pie. An overvalued property market leads to overpaid workforces who cause excessive business rates, utility costs and more.

If people want to live in over valued homes and earn large amounts to pay for the privilege, then the cost has to be paying heavily for domestically produced goods regardless of their true material worth.

Alternatively one circumnavigates the whole UK cost structure and buys from abroad via the internet. Quality is likely to be as high. Cost will be considerably less. As will the associated prestige - and many high end shoppers are really mostly buying for the latter, hence the massively expanding markets in Russia and China that Naim are tapping into.

It struck me in Switzerland when visiting NeilR that the Swiss don't mind buying locally produced goods and paying the price in order to support the country's economy. They pay taxes too it seems!

Brits seem, on the other hand to want to have their cake and eat it.

Positive Energy

You obviously lack any financial acumen evidenced by a series of broad and sweeping statements and even dafter diversionary comments about KPMG on a totally unrelated case.

Even allowing for the fact that it is at best discourteous to comment on any commercial organisations finances without inside knowledge, the simple fact is that Naim have a track record of riding recessions and turning a profit when others in the same industry flounder.

If given the choice of trusting the running of a hifi company between Paul Stephenson or a key board know it all like you, the choice is obvious.

You do your image no favours by adopting the role of amateur accountant when you clearly lack any relevant experience.

The final conclusion is that Naim are moving more up market and quite frankly that is only of interest to the new potential customers and not to those who have no intention of buying it.

Mick

If the likes of FM Acoustic, Soulutions, MBL and darTZeel can offer amps that cost six figures, then I don't see any reason why Naim shouldn't try to capture some of that market.

advertisement

Back