advertisement

New budget Naim.

With regard to onlyconnect's comments about the sound of this amp (on another thread, soon to be merged with this one).

I would like to ask him how 'rhythm' can be 'stunning'?

IMVHO they do more and more. The new Supernait 2 has proved itself, in my system (begun in earnest with a 42/110 in the mid-80s), to be the most musically enthralling amplifier I've ever owned, and represents fantastic value. I'm sure many happy owners of recent 5 and XS products would be of similar mind.

If the sound produced by the SN2 is the result of trickle-down (or dribble-across), then I'm all for flagship products!

Totally agree. I have no idea if the SN2's design trickled down from something more sophisticated but mine sounds wonderful - and my previous amps were the 82/2xHicaps/2x135s!

Merlin - unfortunately you are quite correct. House prices need to crash quite a bit further - not increase. But the UK seem incapable of learning the lesson.

Given a different slant for you FP - hope you don't mind.

It shocks me just how expensive it is to do business in the UK. Everyone wants a slice of the pie. An overvalued property market leads to overpaid workforces who cause excessive business rates, utility costs and more.

If people want to live in over valued homes and earn large amounts to pay for the privilege, then the cost has to be paying heavily for domestically produced goods regardless of their true material worth.

Alternatively one circumnavigates the whole UK cost structure and buys from abroad via the internet. Quality is likely to be as high. Cost will be considerably less. As will the associated prestige - and many high end shoppers are really mostly buying for the latter, hence the massively expanding markets in Russia and China that Naim are tapping into.

It struck me in Switzerland when visiting NeilR that the Swiss don't mind buying locally produced goods and paying the price in order to support the country's economy. They pay taxes too it seems!

Brits seem, on the other hand to want to have their cake and eat it.

Merlin - unfortunately you are quite correct. House prices need to crash quite a bit further - not increase. But the UK seem incapable of learning the lesson.

Hmmm not quite.

"UK" house prices are high mainly misrepresented by using the prices of the Greater London area, because there is very high demand for properties in desirable locations where work and commercial opportunities are greatest.

Look elsewhere and "UK" house prices are considerable cheaper so the theory that overall house prices making manufacturing and business here uncompetitive leaves many holes to be picked.

With regard to onlyconnect's comments about the sound of this amp (on another thread, soon to be merged with this one).

I would like to ask him how 'rhythm' can be 'stunning'?

Percussion very sharp - realistic percussion is difficult for hifi as it tends to soften and smear slightly.

Tim

Percussion very sharp - realistic percussion is difficult for hifi as it tends to soften and smear slightly.

Tim
But how can you be sure that your interpretation of the sound of that HiFi system was based on the amplifiers contribution? Surely what you heard were the speakers?

But how can you be sure that your interpretation of the sound of that HiFi system was based on the amplifiers contribution? Surely what you heard were the speakers?

When did I say that I was sure? It was a quick comment on a quick demo, no more, no less. However I offer a full refund of what I charged you to read the post, if you are not satisfied :)

Tim

Isn't "sharp percussion" just a bit of added lift in high frequencies, possibly with some distortion added?

No idea; but if I think about what hi-fi systems tend not to reproduce realistically, percussion instruments come to mind first.

Tim

Tim.

However I offer a full refund of what I charged you to read the post, if you are not satisfied :)
I think nothing short of trice Max's money back is in order here.

Let's face reality for a change, people can only listen to speakers, unless they're listening to headphones.

Joe

I think nothing short of trice Max's money back is in order here.

Let's face reality for a change, people can only listen to speakers, unless they're listening to headphones.

I tried simplifying my hifi to just speakers. Very disappointing.

Tim

Tim,

We do have some literals here so footnoting may be in order.

Joe

I would love to hear the Statement though sometime when they have finished tuning it in a proper room, not a hotel... What makes a system worth 140K in sonic terms I wonder, or is it just a super Yacht for the mega-rich.

PE, its all great fun. Giving it the bit of thought it merits, I think the exposure for the industry is welcome, but I'm not at all sure about the message it is sending...

When you look at head-fi and the like you cannot but wonder at how far from any mainstream some companies have ended up.

advertisement

Back