advertisement

New Boiler/cylinder etc. quote. Such complexity! Do I really need these gizmos?

Yes, a combi will run your shower and washing up together. And the heating. It's part of the specification that the plumber draws up. The one in my place will run 2 showers. If you had a stately home with 6 bedrooms, all ensuite, 6 showers, guess what? Yes, the boiler would be big enough to run them all. You wouldn't be getting it for 2k but it would do the job.

Lots of combi suggestions. As far as I can see, the adv's of a combi are more space in the loft and airing cupboard but a downside is that if the boiler packs up, there is no immersion to provide hot water. As this saved the day back in January, it's not a small consideration for me.

Obv. a combi operates far more often than an indirect, which must surely impact upon longevity if not reliability. I'd not considered a combi before, and I've no idea if the installation costs will be reduced comparatively (apart from the cylinder) so having mixed thoughts here.

Nothing to stop you installing an immersion heater as a backup to a combi, if you're so worried about it. Never needed such a thing ourselves…

If I were you Mike, I'd seriously look at going the combi route, it's a real no-brainer in my opinion.

Combi, no question about it. If it breaks and you have no hot water for a while, go to a nice hotel for a swim.

Lots of combi suggestions. As far as I can see, the adv's of a combi are more space in the loft and airing cupboard but a downside is that if the boiler packs up, there is no immersion to provide hot water. As this saved the day back in January, it's not a small consideration for me.

Obv. a combi operates far more often than an indirect, which must surely impact upon longevity if not reliability. I'd not considered a combi before, and I've no idea if the installation costs will be reduced comparatively (apart from the cylinder) so having mixed thoughts here.

combi will be simpler and easier to install . as i mentioned earlier i ripped out a year old WB boiler they had put in with an old cylinder and valves etc. put in a new independant combi and ripped out the cylinder and old cold tanks in loft giving more space . a new boiler should be very reliable

As if you're not confused enough already... :D There is another type of boiler not yet considered. A system boiler. Would be best of both worlds. Is used with an unvented cylinder which is mains fed not tank fed. This is regarded as the best system in terms of performance. No tanks in the loft, mains-pressure hot water, cylinder with immersion backup. Plus modern, fast-recovery cylinders heat up very quickly. Unvented cylinders need an annual inspection, but it's a must with boiler these days otherwise you won't get the full warranty so just get them checked at same time.

To be honest, I'm sure any system will be fine (combi, heat only or system). All have their advantages and disadvantages. In terms of cleaning out loft tanks, if you do keep your current system, get a lid so that cleaning isn't needed.

In terms of cleaning out loft tanks, if you do keep your current system, get a lid so that cleaning isn't needed.

Really useful info. I think that's what my sister has as she's got a cylinder/airing cupboard but no tanks in the loft. My water tank is permanently covered and insulated. It's my expansion tank which collects sediment and has needed cleaning. If I keep the existing indirect scenario this may not need such maintenance as the pipes will've been flushed etc. (I hope).

You are right; this system boiler seems to have those advantages but surely there much be downsides to a mixed rad,., oldish c/h system (pressure maybe?)

Your opening comment also translates as 'cat among the pigeons' as far as stability of choice goes.:D

You are right; this system boiler seems to have those advantages but surely there much be downsides to a mixed rad,., oldish c/h system (pressure maybe?)

Both system and combi boilers will change your system from low pressure to mains pressure. Not just heating, but also toilet. There is always risk of leaks in this scenario due to increased pressure on old pipework, but I imagine it's only a big issue if you have leaks under concrete or wooden flooring that would require ripping up to get to. Something like replacing a leaking radiator is quick and easy (albeit extra cost).

As if you're not confused enough already... :D There is another type of boiler not yet considered. A system boiler. Would be best of both worlds. Is used with an unvented cylinder which is mains fed not tank fed. This is regarded as the best system in terms of performance. No tanks in the loft, mains-pressure hot water, cylinder with immersion backup. Plus modern, fast-recovery cylinders heat up very quickly. Unvented cylinders need an annual inspection, but it's a must with boiler these days otherwise you won't get the full warranty so just get them checked at same time.

To be honest, I'm sure any system will be fine (combi, heat only or system). All have their advantages and disadvantages. In terms of cleaning out loft tanks, if you do keep your current system, get a lid so that cleaning isn't needed.
yes it was the new system boiler i got rid of due to valves that can stick and an old cylinder

One thing I've not seen mentioned, a hot water cylinder is a very handy place to dump energy if you have a solar setup and don't want to feed back into the grid (eg have your own panels fitted and dont have a tariff that pays back energy sent to grid) . A friend of mine has a solar setup and when he is making more power than he is using it just dumps it into the hot water cylinder with a second immersion heater element, 'free' hot water.

Both system and combi boilers will change your system from low pressure to mains pressure. Not just heating, but also toilet. There is always risk of leaks in this scenario due to increased pressure on old pipework, but I imagine it's only a big issue if you have leaks under concrete

This learning curve is accelerating, and that is (for me0 important info. All my ground floor pipes are under concrete and Karndean tiles in the kitchen) and old pipe was added to 16 and again 13 years ago. This is why I'm not having a power flush, because there's no way I'd know I had a leak for donkey's age (if then) and finding it. I guess the original pipes were laid when the current boiler went in circa 1980s and I think some are iron, not copper.

Doesn't the pump dictate the pressure in the system?

My wife was really pleased that we could still retain a cylinder yet get rid of the tanks. I just knew there's be a catch, though someone up thread did mention higher pressures with a combi if I remember. Thanks.

but also toilet

Just got lost again; what's a toilet to do with c/htg?

Well, you've got this water tank, see, and it's got an electric element inside that heats up the water. Glad to be of help!

There was me thinking you'd suggest a giant kettle in the airing cupboard; would suit me to a tea.:D

Just got lost again; what's a toilet to do with c/htg?

The big water tank in the loft fills your cylinder and your toilet cistern for flushing the toilet. It is also used for upstairs cold taps. If the tank is removed for a combi, your toilet cistern will need to be connected and filled from the mains, so now at high pressure (as with all your other pipework). E.g., I had a Google and here is someone who had a leak in the toilet (no pun intended...:D) cos of it https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/leak-following-new-combi-boiler-installation.374287/. Best to ask your plumber about possibilities of leaks if you switch to either combi or system boiler, as he (or it might be a she, we mustn't be sexist...) will have a better idea about the quality of the old pipework.

We've got a combi, but in the second bathroom there's a shower we don't use. It is an electric on demand shower, which doesn't have a great flow rate BUT is usable if boiler breaks down (hasn't happened yet). These on demand showers are very cheap and fine for backup or occasional guest use.

I have fixed my boiler. I say fixed but what I really mean is switched it on.

We have this thing that my Dad swears is the greatest thing ever based as far as I can tell on the fact that it's like the ones they have in Canada. Anyway instead of a switch like every other boiler I have ever had it has what is basically an ignition sequence that involves holding one button in for 30 secs and repeatedly pressing another until it lights and then repeating this until the thing thunders into life and gives off "I could heat a small factory what the **** is this shit?" vibes.

This is entirely the fault of my Canadian cousin who has been moaning for 20 years about how terrible combi boilers are because they couldn't cope with -20 degrees and 6ft of snow for three months.

The big water tank in the loft fills your cylinder and your toilet cistern for flushing the toilet. It is also used for upstairs cold taps

Not here. downstairs loo on mains direct and mains for bathroom wash-basin cold (mains cock off stops flow). Not sure about upstairs loo but pretty sure it's on mains as well. Thanks for explaining that possible scenario. However, the increased circulatory pressure on the c/htg pipes does concern me, though why there IS increased pressure when I'd thought this was governed by the pump, is beyond me.

After mentally going round the houses, seems I might be back to square one but I've certainly improved my knowledge on this subject. Google is fine if you can find what you're looking for but concentrated reading of stuff on my 22" VDU is becoming a struggle.

like the ones they have in Canada
"I could heat a small factory what the **** is this shit?"

At least it sounds like it gives you Ottawater (Boom boom!)

advertisement

Back