advertisement

New amplifier auditions booked

indeed , i tried the a21se on my horns, tannoys eaton legacy , harbeth p3esr . on the tannoys it was absolutely superb , tremendous match

My dealer says the A21 SE is his favourite amp at anything around that budget so really curios to hear it. Looks are stunning too.

Is there any difference between class A Watts to class AB? I'm assuming only in presentation

...Is there any difference between class A Watts to class AB? I'm assuming only in presentation

No. Power output depends on frequency and the nominal impedence of the speakers at that frequency - the stated power will be conservative on the Sugden for sure. The Arros are nominally 4 ohms for example, which ought to be a tougher ask for a low powered amp, but the little Sugden was great.

I’m running the same speakers as you, another lockdown bargain. I’m using mine with a naim nac202/nap200/hicap and napsc which is very similar to a supernait. It sounds superb to my ears and has plenty of drive. I would have like to have tried the neats with my original choice of amp which still hasn’t arrived. I tried to exposure round a friends house which was also very good but I think the naim nailed it. It’s all down to personal choice. Enjoy your demo sesh

I have the larger Momentum 4i in my main system. They are isobaric and do need some juice.

indeed , i tried the a21se on my horns, tannoys eaton legacy , harbeth p3esr . on the tannoys it was absolutely superb , tremendous match
Yeah lovely with the P3s I had and the Tannoy Chatsworths. A very clean and pure amplifier. I would have one again in a heart beat. Still, If you want something a bit more Sugden then the A21 and A21a are much cheaper (the old ones)

I’m running the same speakers as you, another lockdown bargain. I’m using mine with a naim nac202/nap200/hicap and napsc which is very similar to a supernait. It sounds superb to my ears and has plenty of drive. I would have like to have tried the neats with my original choice of amp which still hasn’t arrived. I tried to exposure round a friends house which was also very good but I think the naim nailed it. It’s all down to personal choice. Enjoy your demo sesh
What was your original choice?

Neat and Naim are a recommended match as the speakers are often suggested on the Naim forum. Hence it is not surprising that you found the 202/200 to be a great match for the Neats.

My dealer says the A21 SE is his favourite amp at anything around that budget so really curios to hear it. Looks are stunning too.

Is there any difference between class A Watts to class AB? I'm assuming only in presentation

It's arguably primarily a subjective impression (obviously there are technical differences in operation, but Google's your friend for that).

High quality Class A amps tend have a reputation for sounding 'bigger' or more powerful than the paper spec might suggest.You'll see that referred to quite regularly in reviews of the likes of Sugden, Pass Labs, Marantz etc. And it's no coincidence that Class A amps tend to have quite hefty power supplies, again often apparently over-specced for the power output.

FWIW, I've owned 3 Sugdens, two Class A and one AB, and the latter, while decent enough in a second system, was the least 'Sugden-like' although on paper it had the highest output.

Enjoy your dem.

I used the both the supernait 2 a21se on my sensitive horns , the sn2 was very muscular and a teeny bit steely sometimes but still very enjoyable . the remote is solid and well made and better than sugden imho

the a21se on the horns was quite incredible but ultimately too much for me. the noise floor was so low , the instruments were so clear , great bass control and very enjoyable. however after a while it was a bit too much of a good thing . rather like having too many honey sandwiches !!!

so a much gentler arcam has replaced it which is still very good and popping a isotek syncro onto has lifted its performance massively !!! similar low noise fllor to sugden

the a21se on the horns was quite incredible but ultimately too much for me. the noise floor was so low , the instruments were so clear , great bass control and very enjoyable. however after a while it was a bit too much of a good thing . rather like having too many honey sandwiches !!!

Bit late now, but it could have been worth having a chat with Patrick at Sugden. He might have been able to tweak the gain or work some other voodoo for you.

In truth though I suspect the a21 rather than the se would have been the sweet spot.

I used the both the supernait 2 a21se on my sensitive horns , the sn2 was very muscular and a teeny bit steely sometimes but still very enjoyable . the remote is solid and well made and better than sugden imho

so a much gentler arcam has replaced it which is still very good and popping a isotek syncro onto has lifted its performance massively !!! similar low noise fllor to sugden
Assuming the sugden is good at low volumes?

What speakers generally go well, read a review and it recommended large drivers. Encouragingly they also tested with Neat iotas explorer which has the same isobaric setup as my momentums.

I found the Momentums were very flexible in that regard.
They will rock out at pretty high levels quite happily. At low levels they maintain balance and detail for late night listening.

Assuming the sugden is good at low volumes?

What speakers generally go well, read a review and it recommended large drivers. Encouragingly they also tested with Neat iotas explorer which has the same isobaric setup as my momentums.

Personally I've always used Sugdens with either Living Voice or the AudioNote UK models based on Peter Snell's designs, but have also heard them coax a very decent sound from ProAcs and Tannoys.

As a general rule of thumb — there are exceptions to every rule — I tend to think that Class A and relatively efficient speakers is a very hard combination to beat at low volumes, generally seeming to retain a bit more 'life' as the volume drops. Unless you're playing Diana Krall of course.

advertisement

Back