New amplifier auditions booked

Allaboutmusic

pfm Member
Hi all

Called my hifi dealer and have booked a demo of the following :

Exposure 3010S2D
Naim Supernait 3
Sugden A21 SE

The sugden on the recommendation of my dealer.

Hadn't considered the sugden but after doing some research, it's looks incredible and the description of the sound seems good also. Looking for some warmth but still want the punch.

Question would be is 30 Watts enough power?

Also excited to hear the exposure.

Rest of system as follows:
Rega planar 6
Exact cartridge
Rega Dac-r
Neat momentum sx3i

Thanks

Look forward to hearing what you think.

Since speakers impact the presentation so much, might be worth taking your Neat's along. Otherwise the integration with their demo speakers may not align closely to your Neats.

Look forward to hearing what you think.

Since speakers impact the presentation so much, might be worth taking your Neat's along. Otherwise the integration with their demo speakers may not align closely to your Neats.
Yes I am going to bring with me and my dac to test all three.

Having heard a Sugden A21S recently, out of the three choices I would definitely go with it, provided your speakers are happy with 20-ish watts. I tried one with my Tannoys and it sounded really nice, and I nearly bought it for my second system. Still swithering on that one!!!

I had the a21 about 10 years back, never noticed any difference power wise to other more powerful amps I’ve had, Unless perhaps you have difficult speakers, got hot though.

Shopping into that pricerange I'd have Rega Aethos mixed in.

Sugden A21 range are lovely amps
However doubt the Neats would come anyway near best choice.
The two other amps might very well be the better choice.

If you don't intend to use SN3 phono I'd be looking at s/h SN2.

Hi all

Called my hifi dealer and have booked a demo of the following :

Exposure 3010S2D
Naim Supernait 3
Sugden A21 SE

The sugden on the recommendation of my dealer.

Hadn't considered the sugden but after doing some research, it's looks incredible and the description of the sound seems good also. Looking for some warmth but still want the punch.

Question would be is 30 Watts enough power?

Also excited to hear the exposure.

Rest of system as follows:
Rega planar 6
Exact cartridge
Rega Dac-r
Neat momentum sx3i

Thanks

There are those who consider the 'vanilla' A21 to be the superior amp unless you need a bit of extra grunt from the SE.

I don't really know your Neats (only ever heard Neat with Naim so I kind of zone out) but I labour under the impression (possibly wrongly) that they like a bit of juice to get them going.

But if your dealer stocks both and reckons the combination's a winner, then let him do his job.

Sugden's Class A watts aren't quite like 'normal' watts, and an A21 can punch way above its weight, but equally can be left a wee bit breathless into the wrong speaker.

Let the games commence...

However doubt the Neats would come anyway near best choice.
In which case ask the dealer if she /he has a more compatible speaker. Momentums are great, but not the most amp friendly ime.

I used to run an A21a a long time ago. Speakers are very important, Proac or PMC are the usual options, Totem Arros were a good listen too. The amp was really good with a Naim CD player I found, which probably wasn't a typical choice. Sounded great with my Rega Planar25, with external phono stage though ;)

Big Exposure fan here, have the same 3010S2D incoming although it'll have to be very special to replace my current 2010S2D. I'm going to predict the Exposure will be your choice, do let us know.

On the point of speakers. I bought the Neats over lock down, partly because I really liked my previous Neat motive sx3 speakers and also as they were reduced by £700.

There were two speakers which I wanted to listen to which I didn't get the chance, spendor A7 and harbeth c7es-3. Said to my dealer we would demo the amps with my Neats and then try the other speakers with my preferred amp. Hopefully this confirms my decision, otherwise will maybe trade in but then it becomes expensive or more expensive...

As a side point, how is the mm phono stage on the exposure?

advertisement

Back