advertisement

Naim, What!!

Value to owner is a real thing. It is how we price intangibles such as sentiment, nostalgia and life-lived. There is no market or replacement value for that. I'm sure we all have items that are worth much more to each of us than others are willing to pay.

My 1968 Landrover series 2A is infinitely repairable even if it does eventually exceed its value !…… the value of ownership to me exceeds it’s monetary value .
Either way, I’m guessing it doesn’t get sent back to the factory for plugs and belts. You probably have a trusted local mechanic (or yourself) who doesn’t charge an exorbitant amount!

Last edited:
Yes, this is what AV Options charges -- and if people will pay it, fair play to them I suppose (though as mentioned above, these prices are non-economical, to put it mildly).

Focal Naim America, the importer, also does servicing and will probably be my choice when my 250 needs attention -- though I might just send it across the Atlantic to Class A!

Focal-Naim America quoted me $1040cad to recap my NAC 42 and my NAP 140...

Sidenote: Anyone know of anyone who can do the job in Ontario?

You could probably get part recommendations from the DIY forum here and then take that info to a reputable local tech. Probably a few dozen Kemet tantalum caps, 5 larger electrolytics in the 140 PSU, and misc other caps. I’d guess about $50 worth of caps to service both items.

Talk to some local musos or instrument repairers. They will know of a tech who does guitar amps for the pro market. It will cost tenners.

Talk to some local musos or instrument repairers. They will know of a tech who does guitar amps for the pro market. It will cost tenners.

I must Iive in the wrong place. Here in the UK 'tenners' may was what it cost 30 years ago ... .

I must Iive in the wrong place. Here in the UK 'tenners' may was what it cost 30 years ago ... .
Maybe you do. My last but one repair was £30, a more recent one went along with a mate's sick valve amp and was (wait for it) £20. Steady on. This was for a few caps on an old Rogers Ravenscroft/Ravensbourne/whichever one it is tranny amp that was hissing and distorting. I've yet to test that one, mind. I can't believe it comes in so cheap, the guys must work for nothing or just be like lightning.

Maybe you do. My last but one repair was £30, a more recent one went along with a mate's sick valve amp and was (wait for it) £20. Steady on. This was for a few caps on an old Rogers Ravenscroft/Ravensbourne/whichever one it is tranny amp that was hissing and distorting. I've yet to test that one, mind. I can't believe it comes in so cheap, the guys must work for nothing or just be like lightning.

Well, that is someone I would like to send some work...

I have a couple of amps that need some sympathetic attention, and for a realistic cost.

Can you pm his name please and I can send him some work.

Thanks

Well, that is someone I would like to send some work...

I have a couple of amps that need some sympathetic attention, and for a realistic cost.

Can you pm his name please and I can send him some work.

Thanks
I will find out if he is comfortable with this. He will require the equipment to be delivered to and collected from his place in Doncaster. Is this feasible?

Either way, I’m guessing it doesn’t get sent back to the factory for plugs and belts. You probably have a trusted local mechanic (or yourself) who doesn’t charge an exorbitant amount!

Yep one of my guys looks after it .. I tend to buy for the long term and try as much as possible to support British business , a bit left field but I always buy British shoes usually Crocket and Jones , cheanys etc . expensive yes however when you factor in about 20 years of use with one or two re soles not so expensive and it keeps small British business afloat , just sent back a pr of cheany aviator boots they managed 10 years without being re soled but were returned last year not only did cheany re sole but they re lined them so good for another 10 years .
Cheap disposable items always end up costing both us and the planet in the long run !.

Value to owner is a real thing. It is how we price intangibles such as sentiment, nostalgia and life-lived. There is no market or replacement value for that. I'm sure we all have items that are worth much more to each of us than others are willing to pay.
Value does not equal cost. I've got a penknife in my pocket that has accompanied me more or less every day for the last 30 years, it would cost £30 to replace but it's part of my life. Conversely my lady friend considers spending more than £100 on an item of jewellery or a watch to be a pointless waste of money, and we all know that there are people who will spend thousands on these items.

My 1968 Landrover series 2A is infinitely repairable even if it does eventually exceed its value !

I was looking to buy a Defender a couple of years ago but realised a Land Rover is not a car, it's hobby. Just about every owner I spoke to had spent a fortune on repairs. One garage I spoke to said 'You fix something one year and it's back the next year for the same thing'.

I was looking to buy a Defender a couple of years ago but realised a Land Rover is not a car, it's hobby. Just about every owner I spoke to had spent a fortune on repairs. One garage I spoke to said 'You fix something one year and it's back the next year for the same thing'.
This is certainly the case for the old ones but that's the case for any car of the 60s, 70s, 80s. I remember as a kid I used to help my dad with car repairs, we had a 1976 Mini (proper one) and every year it was free off the brakes, replace at least one leaking cylinder, replace a wheel bearing somewhere, replace or rebuild suspension swivels, it went on for ever. It wasn't even high mileage or doing loads of miles, I remember it getting to 66,666 and doing 8-10k miles a year, and the frequency of repairs was nobody's business. We forget just how reliable modern cars are.

Indeed, as Terry Pratchett famously put it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boots_theory

I think he's only partially right, but more wrong than right.

Poorer people are often poor because they're not very bright and make poor choices. It's not that they cannot afford to buy expensive shoes but more that they wouldn't understand that it was a sensible thing to do. They might find the money to buy the latest iPhone, an old BMW that they can't afford to maintain properly or enough cigarettes to choke a horse but invest their money sensibly? Not very likely.

Wealthy people can be stupid too but they tend to either not be the ones who generated the wealth or they had people around who kept them right.

I think he's only partially right, but more wrong than right.

Poorer people are often poor because they're not very bright and make poor choices. It's not that they cannot afford to buy expensive shoes but more that they wouldn't understand that it was a sensible thing to do. They might find the money to buy the latest iPhone, an old BMW that they can't afford to maintain properly or enough cigarettes to choke a horse but invest their money sensibly? Not very likely.

Wealthy people can be stupid too but they tend to either not be the ones who generated the wealth or they had people around who kept them right.

i think priority’s play a large part to …. Also to be honest a lot of old money is not interested in keeping up appearances , such as having the latest no plate iPhone etc .
I certainly do not consider myself wealthy my father was very wealthy but like so many family’s that all went ! .I am a business owner but the most important thing for me is enjoying what I do far more important than money !. I also have always had a sense of enjoying what I buy weather it is shoes or a fly rod ..and the simple fact is quality will always pay for itself weather in monetary terms or simple pleasure .
I actually don’t think making money is a particular differcult pursuit , I think that enjoying life weather you have money or not is far more difficult.
I know many unhappy people with lots of disposable wedge but they are not happy because they don’t understand that the value in money is not the money it’s self but what it enables you to do !.
I have modest means but I try to spend it wisely and on what I enjoy !.

I actually don’t think making money is a particular difficult pursuit..

I think it is hard enough. I used to always wonder why criminals didn't invest their energy in legitimate business instead. Turns out it is because they are lazy. They just don't want to work that hard and are too short sighted see the consequences of their chosen lifestyle. I think that making proper money, honestly, generally is hard work.

advertisement

Back