advertisement

Naim, What!!

Those old Philips swing-arm transports are ridiculously reliable so there is a good chance it not the mech that's at fault. If i remember correctly there is a capacitor that goes off spec and the lazer doesn't get the right voltage, something like that. It's an easy fix anyway.

Even if it does need a new mech, they were used in loads of players so you should be able to pick up a working donor CD player for £20. There are lists on line which tell you what players used which mech.

it’s a CDM 4/25 I know they used to be fitted to jukeboxes as well but there may be different versions.

It’s a CDM 4/25 I know they used to be fitted to jukeboxes as well but there may be different versions.

There are loads of different versions of those Philips transports but the numbers change. You'll find them in loads of CD players which will be dirt cheap now.

There are loads of different versions of those Philips transports but the numbers change. You'll find them in loads of CD players which will be dirt cheap now.
But the main thing is that the laser head is consistent between CDM4 variants and easily swappable. They're extremely reliable, but know how to adjust the laser current and focus offset as they're manual settings on these transports.

Check out this insanity from NAIM's North America service partner, AV Options:
https://www.avoptions.com/downloads/AV-Options-LLC-Service-retail-price-sheet.pdf

NAC72 service: $1295
NAP140 service: $1295
HiCap service: $595
NAIT 2 service: $1395, $1795, or The Ultimate for $2995

NAC72s and NAP140s over here are worth around $400-$500 un-serviced, maybe $100 more for one recently serviced. Paying for NAIM service over here makes absolutely zero sense IMO. You guys in the UK are lucky you have Witch Hat as an option!

https://www.avoptions.com/downloads/AV-Options-LLC-Service-retail-price-sheet.pdf

NAC72s and NAP140s over here are worth around $400-$500 un-serviced, maybe $100 more for one recently serviced. Paying for NAIM service over here makes absolutely zero sense IMO. You guys in the UK are lucky you have Witch Hat as an option!
Insane !
Repairing these vintage amps is not sky rocket science and almost any electronic technician can do it with standard "off the shelf" components.

Nice to see you posting again, booja30.

Sounds like something Naim would do. Punishing your own customers is a brilliant sales strategy.
Buy longer runs of Naim speaker cables, leave your gear turned on all the time, get it recapped by Naim after 10 years, etc also brilliant.
To me Naim is the Apple of the audio world. I resisted Apple marketing but drank the Naim Kool-aid years ago. At least prices were reasonable back then.

Not just the 3m or longer speaker cable that should be the Naim cable (or apparently Linn is ok) and leaving powered all day and night, servicing, there is more.

The various boxes have to be in a certain order on a particular rack (Naim make one of course) and have particular mains cable to connect to the house ring main - no wait, should be connected to a dedicated spur from an independent mains fuse block (which should be a certain make - no not made by Naim).

I have properly missed something vital to the sound. Well of course, one is invited onto the upgrade path if you start at the bottom - add a separate power supply, change the pre-amp, change the power amp, add different interconnects - the "Full Loom" - better speaker cables. Missed anything. No - I have a "Naim Statement"

The Naim forum is where this information and plenty of guidance and opinion is available.

Now here is the disclosure.

I bought into a Naim amplifier (pre and power boxes, not the integrated amp), and I added a separate power supply in the 1980's.

I have the same boxes today, and just a few years ago I had them serviced, which cost more than the 1980's purchase price.

I never stepped onto the "upgrade ladder" and I simply used the "HiFi" for music, and the tv via one of the inputs.

Now I think I should switch off, pack the boxes into the original packing, and set aside for my descendents to enjoy when I am dead, which is sooner rather than later in the scale of three score years and ten. That way my sons will have Naim amps that will not need expensive (extravagant) servicing, and not require huge buy in costs to Naim amplification (feeding the coffers of hedge funds, who run a lot now, but soon will run everything).

In the meantime I can find a small efficient but powerful amplifier to use instead of the Naim to feed the tv (and a cheap record and cd player for the occasional use of a record or cd). My wife says I am deaf anyway.

The additional problem is I have two Leak Stereo 70 amplifiers, one dead on one channel, and the other intermittently working, that I want to get repaired to full working. I have swapped out the electrolytic caps on the power supply where they were bulging and bubbling (swapping large components - no surface mount) is something I can do, and I still have a stock of lead solder to suit the 1970's electronics.

Offers of help with the Leak amps very welcome please.

Sorry for the long entry here.

Ask for Leak help in DIY or Classic and I’m sure someone can help. Most there are sensible and don’t read the umpteen zillionth Naim thread (unlike me).

Not just the 3m or longer speaker cable that should be the Naim cable (or apparently Linn is ok) and leaving powered all day and night, servicing, there is more.

The various boxes have to be in a certain order on a particular rack (Naim make one of course) and have particular mains cable to connect to the house ring main - no wait, should be connected to a dedicated spur from an independent mains fuse block (which should be a certain make - no not made by Naim).

I have properly missed something vital to the sound. Well of course, one is invited onto the upgrade path if you start at the bottom - add a separate power supply, change the pre-amp, change the power amp, add different interconnects - the "Full Loom" - better speaker cables. Missed anything. No - I have a "Naim Statement"

The Naim forum is where this information and plenty of guidance and opinion is available.

Now here is the disclosure.

I bought into a Naim amplifier (pre and power boxes, not the integrated amp), and I added a separate power supply in the 1980's.

I have the same boxes today, and just a few years ago I had them serviced, which cost more than the 1980's purchase price.

I never stepped onto the "upgrade ladder" and I simply used the "HiFi" for music, and the tv via one of the inputs.

Now I think I should switch off, pack the boxes into the original packing, and set aside for my descendents to enjoy when I am dead, which is sooner rather than later in the scale of three score years and ten. That way my sons will have Naim amps that will not need expensive (extravagant) servicing, and not require huge buy in costs to Naim amplification (feeding the coffers of hedge funds, who run a lot now, but soon will run everything).

In the meantime I can find a small efficient but powerful amplifier to use instead of the Naim to feed the tv (and a cheap record and cd player for the occasional use of a record or cd). My wife says I am deaf anyway.

The additional problem is I have two Leak Stereo 70 amplifiers, one dead on one channel, and the other intermittently working, that I want to get repaired to full working. I have swapped out the electrolytic caps on the power supply where they were bulging and bubbling (swapping large components - no surface mount) is something I can do, and I still have a stock of lead solder to suit the 1970's electronics.

Offers of help with the Leak amps very welcome please.

Sorry for the long entry here.
I know a repair tech in Doncaster who can repair your Leak gear for a very modest sum. Is that near you?

I've asked Naim for a quote to have my UQ screen display replaced - lasted around 5 years only since last replacement service.

Offer matched pricelist - with added Brexit customs and eventual delays.
In short, this was a definitive no go dealbreaker.

I'll order the €100 eBay screen display and DIY.
if you’ve not gone that route might be worth you revisiting the naim screen repair option. I’ve just collected my NDS from having a Naim screen repair. Cost in the UK was £159 inc vat plus one way carrige of £20 inc vat. I contacted naim first to get that price before approaching my local dealer ;-) . Sure enough my dealer’s initial response was band 7 £549 but when I challenged that they checked with Naim and confirmed Naim’s quote. I think £159 for a replacement screen plus firmware carriage isn’t unreasonable these days. Regards

I contacted naim first

So did I, not beeing in UK.
Quote was insane for a new UQ display only, service would be another invoice upon screen.
The item value doesn't come near that final invoicing.
No thanks

NDS might be another story me guess.

I completely understand - things get trickier if item not manufactured in home country and also costs needs to reflect the reality of ultimately their resale value.

advertisement

Back