advertisement

Naim, What!!

mikegreenwood

pfm Member
About 2 years back I had my Naim Uniti serviced by Naim. Cost I believe was around £300.
I now understand they have a blanket basic repair price of around £550 regardless of the problem. If this is so then that’s me finished with Naim I can just see some person that has a unit with a basic fault having to fork out that amount. Has anyone heard the same or is my information incorrect.

Helps when you can fix things yourself, an optocoupler failed in my Nait 5i (fairly common fault), about a £300 job at Naim… it cost me probably pence in parts, can’t remember the exactly, but I bought enough bits to fix 10 of them for around the price of a small round of drinks in the pub. It is a fairly involved job because it’s on the main board, which has to come out, and it’s a 16 leg IC, so you need the right tools to extract it… but still, only 30-45 minutes work… and I put an IC socket in making it a 5 minute job for anyone who can wield a screwdriver and observe the correct orientation of the part if it happens again… Naim definitely wouldn’t do that!

I will stick with my Naim stuff because I love how it sounds but I wouldn’t buy anything new from them.

Holy moly !
I will keep my chrome bumper stuff then !
Both the repair cost and the de-soldering of the IC scares me !
It holds no fear for me, having the right tools and experience helps. I’ll always replace a DIL package with a socket to make future replacement easier though, and to save PCB damage from multiple re-workings.

Yet another Random unsubstantiated rumour posted asking for corroboration to blacken a manufacturer’s name.
Possibly! They are expensive for jobs that shouldn’t be needed, like display replacements… on the other hand, they tend to be pleasant and helpful on the phone, it’s always nice to be able to speak to the engineers who design and build the stuff. Linn are also great with this, I’ve found them very helpful over the years.

Helps when you can fix things yourself, an optocoupler failed in my Nait 5i (fairly common fault), about a £300 job at Naim… it cost me probably pence in parts, can’t remember the exactly, but I bought enough bits to fix 10 of them for around the price of a small round of drinks in the pub. It is a fairly involved job because it’s on the main board, which has to come out, and it’s a 16 leg IC, so you need the right tools to extract it… but still, only 30-45 minutes work… and I put an IC socket in making it a 5 minute job for anyone who can wield a screwdriver and observe the correct orientation of the part if it happens again… Naim definitely wouldn’t do that!

I will stick with my Naim stuff because I love how it sounds but I wouldn’t buy anything new from them.

Lol did I not include the said optocoupler well a pack of then with the amp?

Yet another Random unsubstantiated rumour posted asking for corroboration to blacken a manufacturer’s name.
Consider this one substantiated, Bob.

Not only that, but it is worse than one might suspect. Note that there are 3 columns of prices; 'Service', 'Repair', and 'Combined Service/Repair'.

Naim-Service-Banding-2022-GBP.png

Sending back to Naim is like sending a car back to the main dealer for a service or repair, it costs more.
There is always Darren at Class A who is an authorised service and repair agent for Naim who will likely do it cheaper and I expect there are other unauthorised people who will do it even cheaper. Part of the reason for using Naim or Class A for servicing and or repairs is that if you come to sell the item then you will get more for it.

Inflation and hedging for the rising costs over next few years I believe...

Well, that confirms my worse fears. Been with Naim products since 1980, this one will be used until it needs work then it’s in the wheelie bin. In not going to be exploited. No need for me to blacken a manufacturer’s name when the can do it better themselves.

(aside from perhaps purely-proprietary-controlled software-issues: ) You'll find all the informed, developed, free support and hand-holding to fix, service & maintain Naim equipment yourself, that you could ever want: right here in the pfm DIY room.

& that's also true for almost any other audio item /make / brand/ piece of eqpt, you can think of.

Last edited:
Lol did I not include the said optocoupler well a pack of then with the amp?
Yes but I misplaced them lol.:D

They’re cheap as chips anyway (pun intended).

I’m keeping this amp for good by the way, it sounds absolutely stonking in my second system. I re-capped it whilst it was apart which really brought it to life (not that it sounded bad at all before).

PS, I found the pack you supplied before the ones I ordered arrived, so it’s one of those that’s in there now… I have enough to keep it going for a few lifetimes.

Recently had customers Sony laser projector " Price of a very nice car new " developed a fault out of warranty £775 repair bill
Laser optical assemblies / Motherboard / Processor board

Sending back to Naim is like sending a car back to the main dealer for a service or repair, it costs more.
There is always Darren at Class A who is an authorised service and repair agent for Naim who will likely do it cheaper and I expect there are other unauthorised people who will do it even cheaper. Part of the reason for using Naim or Class A for servicing and or repairs is that if you come to sell the item then you will get more for it.
Or Witch Hat, Mark is an ex Naim engineer, absolutely trustworthy.

advertisement

Back