advertisement

Naim, What!!

I agree with what you are saying, I think were we may disagree is what we think "the average Naim owner" (not a pfm member, not even on the green forum, goes to their Naim official dealer or Naim direct) may do when faced with a combined service and repair bill in excess of the worth of the unit. Sure in theory that average Naim punter could go to local tech and get it done cheaper, as you suggest, and some will, but will they all? Or will some consider it is time to give up on their old stuff and buy new? How much kit ends up in WEEE? That depends, in part, on how ludicrous Naim's service and repair pricing gets. Is it time for Class A and WitchHat to hire some more techs perhaps?
This is true, but it's only the same in this regard as other consumer items. TVs get thrown away in working order all the time. So do cars. I run cars until they are dead, my last 2 went to breakers, my current one is on 192k miles at 13 years old. I have a bicycle that's 25 years old with about 25k miles under its wheels. Not many are like me. Once a car dips below £1k value most owners give up on maintenance and at the next MoT it hands them a bill for £2-300 and that's the end. It's driven, as ever, by residual value and function. Nobody in their right mind is throwing away a Rolex worth £X thousand when it needs a £500 service. Meanwhile my mother has a mechanical watch from the 60s, a gold Rotary, that barely runs, and she pays the repair bills that exceed its value out of sentiment. When she dies, it's going to go in a drawer. That's any consumer item. Some will end up in the bin, some won't. Witch Hat won't need any extra technicians, the stuff that people are prepared to pay for will be repaired.

Not a bad scheme! So yo ueffectively disregard the pre boards and rewire it directly to the power boards? It'll work. The only snag is the knobs on the front panel, but if the price is right you can disregard them. Or blank them off, or make a new front panel.
Other way round, i.e. converting NAIT3 to NAC92/3 pre-amp. That is, should the NAP90/3 amplifier board within be beyond repair. Cost would be whatever 2 x Preh DIN sockets plus one Naim NAC link plug comes to (easily recouped by selling on the "genuine Naim NAIT3/NAP90/FLAT-CAP transformer, lady driven only")

Below is a photo I saved from a very informative thread on here about NAIT3 splitting from back in June 2016. The LH DIN blank is where DIN4 goes, allowing connection to NAP; the RH position is for DIN5 for dual-rail CAP connection (which requires the usual link plug fitted for NAP only connection). Once the NAP90 board and power supply gubbins are removed (and the 2 x DINs fitted to NAC), the only difference between this and a factory NAC92/3 is the rear label/holes cover (i.e. the one chassis is pre-drilled for all 3 Series models).

I've @Mike Hanson's old faithful FLAT-CAP here collecting dust, which could be used to test the result, however, I'd likely pass this on to someone else who dares to step up onto the Naim ladder.

On the other hand, were one so inclined (demented?), a Sidney 'Sid' Phillips like alternative configuration would be to remove all but the 24V supply circuit from the NAP90 board, and run this as a self-powered FrankenNAC (NAC-CAP?). Single rail though (NAC-SNAPS?); perhaps repurposing an old FLAT-CAP board pull to use with the existing electrics would be more up to the Dr. Frankenstein standard vis-a-vie... ...IT'S ALIVE!

[Image credit: @nimsterov]
2.jpg

Last edited:
I really can't see why repair is so much more on top of the service cost. Most repairs to older kit are minimal work after you've got the unit apart for servicing anyway. I often used to include it in the cost of service if it was nothing too major, and even then it was just the cost of components and extra time on top.

Yes, I'm forgetting that if you only use the pre section you liberate the trafo. To be fair at the $80 you paid the empty case is worth that. Olive and CB empty cases are like gold dust.

I really can't see why repair is so much more on top of the service cost.

Not from a practical point with your technically knowledge and experience.
Average customers don't have such insight.

However if Naim further wanted to milk the cow and maximise profit, it makes perfect sense.

Yes, I'm forgetting that if you only use the pre section you liberate the trafo. To be fair at the $80 you paid the empty case is worth that. Olive and CB empty cases are like gold dust.
Good to know. The whole thing looks minty on the outside, olive fascia and all.

I really can't see why repair is so much more on top of the service cost.

Well, servicing is generally a case of replacing specific components. Repair may involve diagnostic time and a complicated repair/diagnostic will have to be amortized over all the simple ones.

Well, servicing is generally a case of replacing specific components. Repair may involve diagnostic time and a complicated repair/diagnostic will have to be amortized over all the simple ones.
I see, so if my none working NAIT 3 were to be both repaired (for arguments sake, let's just say an obviously burnt emitter resistor in the ch1 side of the NAP90/3 within) and serviced (full recap of both NAC92/3 and NAP90/3 boards) I should be charged 'combined service/repair' just because some other blokes' amps might require more diagnostic and/or repair effort?

Trouble is, we all know that a recap represents the absolute most effort ever put into one of these amps short of initial assembly, not to mention that a Welwyn 3W resistor goes for £0.365 each from Farnell, and half that in quantities of 1000+ which Naim would be buying in. Either job requires resetting of quiescence current and a good soak test; the difference being, "Hey, there's a burnt resistor in here, don't forget to change that £399 to $699 on the invoice."

Thanks for great comments, speaking as a layman I want a company who I can trust to be fair and have my interest a heart. ( maybe asking too much) in the old days Quad we’re magic and I felt safe in their hands, I don’t feel safe anymore with Naim. When my Uniti gives up the ghost sadly I will move on. What would Julian have made of this attitude by Naim to its customers. As a friend of mine always says, “ your as good as your last game” anyway my money my choice.
There again the Uniti may outlast me. Hope not!

Remember the Uniti I was £2500 back in 2009, adjusting for inflation this will work out at approx £3500 today...servicing & repair costs are reflective of the class of product and not what they cost in the 2nd hand market...

You can pick up a 16 year old V12 Mercedes S class for £6K but the average cost of upkeep is intune to a £90,000 car. Spark plug change? That will be £340 (plus labour) for all 24 plugs sir...

Is one of your ABC shock absorbers leaking? That will be £1400 EACH sir ...

Remember the Uniti I was £2500 back in 2009, adjusting for inflation this will work out at approx £3500 today...servicing & repair costs are reflective of the class of product and not what they cost in the 2nd hand market...

You can pick up a 16 year old V12 Mercedes S class for £6K but the average cost of upkeep is intune to a £90,000 car. Spark plug change? That will be £340 (plus labour) for all 24 plugs sir...

Is one of your ABC shock absorbers leaking? That will be £1400 EACH sir ...
Sure. Do you pay a similar premium for oil, tyres, and screenwash? You can if you want to, of course. Me? I'll just use materials to the correct specification, thanks.

Guys, it's all relative to what is important to you. Playing music puts me in a really happy place, I get enormous joy from it so to me paying out to keep my equipment in good order is what I decide to spend my hard earned income on, it's what floats your boat. If you hate Naim and see them as the root of all evil, then fine, don't buy their equipment, it's your choice.

I have older Olive Naim equipment, Class A offer a good service and are a reasonable cost for Naim servicing. I recently bought a 82 Pre and Olive Hi Cap off Darren at Class A, all updated, fully serviced with Pots 8 upgrade too at a cost less than that asked for some units on eBay with poor service history. I am happy, they will last a long while, I also got my 180 power amp serviced last year. I am happy with the Naim sound I get from my Olive system and cannot afford the 1000's of pounds for new Naim equipment or similar others for a similar performance. Yes the cost of servicing old HiFi sometimes is not recoverable if you sell it, but then again a couple of hundred pounds to get something serviced that will last 10 years minimum and give me much enjoyment for this period is peanuts compared to a 2 week holiday in the summer. That's gone as soon as it ends and can cost many many times more depending on where you go etc. Look at the cost of a meal out nowadays with wine etc, turn up, eat it then waste disposal the next day. Yes enjoyable but only lasts hours. At least you can get Naim products serviced at the moment, there will come the day that perhaps the people that can do this will not be there but I think this is a way off yet and for me what I have will last me out.

I have a 30 year old Micromega Solo CD player, beautiful to look at, plays only 2/3rd of the CD then skips so useless. Can't get it fixed as the mech is no longer available and so am screwed, shame, it is only good for a doorstop and i cannot bring myself to chuck it in the bin. Naim did fix my CD5 end of 2021, put a new Mech in it, yes the cost was probably more than the unit value but still far cheaper than a new CD player and if it lasts me even another 5 years is still cheaper than a break at Center parcs. I looked at the cost for a room at Premier Inn in Portsmouth next April when a motorsport event is on at Goodwood Circuit, they wanted £124 and another £25 for the meal deal, so that's £149 for 1 night, puts it all into perspective in the end.

Not sure what they did with it Per as the VAM 1205 mech is no longer available apart from the cheap chinese copies. In a post on the Naim forum one guy said their dealer told them that Naim cannot fix a CD5 now, anyway Naim did do mine and it works fine so I was a lucky boy.

I have a 30 year old Micromega Solo CD player, beautiful to look at, plays only 2/3rd of the CD then skips so useless. Can't get it fixed as the mech is no longer available and so am screwed..

Those old Philips swing-arm transports are ridiculously reliable so there is a good chance it not the mech that's at fault. If i remember correctly there is a capacitor that goes off spec and the lazer doesn't get the right voltage, something like that. It's an easy fix anyway.

Even if it does need a new mech, they were used in loads of players so you should be able to pick up a working donor CD player for £20. There are lists on line which tell you what players used which mech.

Let me tell you a story about Naim servicing. My first Naim power amp was an NAP160. I had it about 20 years until I took it to a Naim authorised service centre about 15 years ago for a service. I still have the receipt. It was a full service with the usual caps replaced etc.
I gave the amp to my son about 12 years ago and he gave me it back about 3 years ago. It then sat in a cupboard for a few years until I thought I’d try it out. It sounded awful, so I took it to a man who knows more about Naim than anyone I know. I stood and watched him open it up and we both saw the main caps were date stamped the year the amp was built. They were bulging. He replaced them, but it still sounded awful so I let him have the amp for a few hundred quid, on the basis that I really had no need for it, having sold all my Naim stuff many years ago.
So much for the authorised Naim service outlet!!
So maybe you would all be better sending stuff back to Naim or DIY. If you do use others, and also perhaps if you use Naim, I would strongly recommend you look inside to check the work to make sure they have actually done what you have paid for.

I had my 52 upgraded to Pots 4 by Naim USA and it came back without the remote working. They claimed it was faulty when they received it which was BS, and said it could not be fixed due to lack of parts. With some help from PFM folks I discovered that when they changed the Pots board they reversed a connector which caused the remote to malfunction. Additionally the other items 'serviced' looked like they had been soldered by a 5 year old.

advertisement

Back