advertisement

Naim Nait 50

In fact another gesture from Naim...how to optimize listening, fresh from the makers place.

"Nait 50 improves considerably after running in. Out of the box it will sound detailed and punchy, over the next days more warmth and engagement come, then more PRaT over the weeks.

While running in:

• Make sure it is not in standby! - set the ‘auto on’ feature to ‘on’ (i.e. it does not sleep) - this is important
  • Use the volume control (min to max to min occasionally)
    Engage and disengage plugs and sockets (signal, mains and speakers) to remove oxidations on contacts."
Let me guess… It will start to sound its best just after the return window ends. :rolleyes:

Was that Paul Stevenson standing on a workbench, or was JV sitting in a chair?
The guy on the right was Dave Berriman . He wrote for Practical Hi Fi mag ; the 120 amp was reviewed in July or August of 1976 and the photo was from that review.
I can remember reading it whilst in the bath during the long, hot summer of 76. Alas , I had no one to share my water with, even though the Government of the day was encouraging everyone to do so...
Edit: Dave liked the sound , his test meter liked the numbers , and he queried the unusual appearance of the thing. And it would be some 3 years before I found a willing bath mate.

Seem as these are reaching dealers now.
One dealer said it walked over his XS3.

A bit surpricing as I thought it was on Atom level ampwise.

From the Cranage show....

Nait50-Front.jpg

NAIT50rear.jpg

It's a fair bit heavier than the original Nait, suggesting there is a beefier transformer for the increased power output & perhaps case design & bigger components adding to the weight. Could be picked up with 1 hand but advisable to use both!

Looks nice. Did the original have chrome bumpers at both ends? My CB NAIT2 has bare metal only on one face.

Seem as these are reaching dealers now.
One dealer said it walked over his XS3.

A bit surpricing as I thought it was on Atom level ampwise.

Great news! Looks like blind faith may have paid off.

Considering the price point (I realise there is a premium being paid) and how much more the Atom does, I would have been rather disappointed if it was at the level of an Atom.

27 pages in and it may be worth pointing out again that the Nait 50 is a Nait one in appearance only . A quick google search will provide interior photos that show a very contemporary amp packed into a small retro box

A quick google search will provide interior photos that show a very contemporary amp

Which could be used as basis for a future Nait
They probably could machine mass-produce the main amp boards, to keep cost down, maybe they already do.

At least he’s got no skin in the game ;)

Yes I can't imagine why a hi-fi 'dealer' is bigging it up. What motive could he possibly have?

From what I've been reading it basically 'looks' a bit like the old amp and has none of the internals.

advertisement

Back