advertisement

Naim Nait 50

I’ve heard that stated too! I’d be interested to know if there was any non-cosmetic change, i.e. a board revision, or whether it was just random audiophile groupthink bollocks. As an example the first Kans sounding better has some real logic to it as they were in effect a totally different speaker to later ones (proper LS3/5A ply cabs, Scanspeak tweeter etc). Curious if there is anything ‘real’ here.

PS Aesthetically I prefer the later knob, but the red LED!

I've been looking for a Supernait second hand for my kitchen dinner system . Very glad I didn't jump !
As it stands my second system is Acoustic Energy Aegis Compacts in white . FYI there is a really good looking pair on e-bay right now for Buy it now £25 fantastic bargain .
And a Yamaha classic compact system .
Just put a deposit down on a Nait 50 which I'm going to match with a spare pair of Splendor S3 speakers and the tuner and CD player from the Yamaha Classic system . Can't wait .

What's not to like , no remote control volume , the only down side I can think of

I've been looking for a Supernait second hand for my kitchen dinner system . Very glad I didn't jump !
As it stands my second system is Acoustic Energy Aegis Compacts in white . FYI there is a really good looking pair on e-bay right now for Buy it now £25 fantastic bargain .
And a Yamaha classic compact system .
Just put a deposit down on a Nait 50 which I'm going to match with a spare pair of Splendor S3 speakers and the tuner and CD player from the Yamaha Classic system . Can't wait .

What's not to like , no remote control volume , the only down side I can think of

Go for it!

There's only one revision of the NAIT1. It doesn't matter what colour the LED is.
The NAIT2 however went through some very minor revisions, notably the change from the Chrome to Olive light bar driving electronics, and fixing a reversed channel issue IIRC.

I wonder if the target price for this was originally £1,973. Even if that meant little or no profit for Naim, but would be a “gift” to the community and good for marketing.

Naim would never sell anything without providing a healthy profit to stack holders.
Usually manufacture cost are 1/10 - 1/20th (even more sometime) than retail sales price.
Cost structure involve dealer margin.
Cable lifters and snake oil likely present huge margins.
I know a dealer which is able to give 45-50% discount on certain brands.
Its a crazy world, but as long as people are willing to pay.

I suspect some is just fear of the new. In this case at least as I doubt this amp has much in the way of bespoke logic. Surface mount should not be scary. I’ve not had reason to try it myself yet, but I’m sure I will given time, and I’ve certainly sat through countless hours watching people working on old computers and with pretty basic tools. It doesn’t frighten me until you get to BGA chips, and even then I understand the theory. The stuff that will be landfill is the junk with bespoke displays, custom logic etc as those become a real point of failure without parts supply. The Nait 50 looks really good to my eyes. Hardly any wet caps and the rest should be really reliable. I bet there will be some around in 50+ years, by which point you may not even be able to get the through-hole stuff to fix my ancient Quads, Leaks etc. Axial electrolytics (as seen in the Nait 1, old computers, valve amps etc) are becoming hard to find already.
This stuff is readily used in the UK, and the expertise has been around for decades. This really isn't an issue.
Like Tony says, and we've already seen this, the stuff that'll be landfill (or most likely future project cases) are the DVD players, OLED streamers, DACs etc. We can get around the lack of axial caps to a degree, but often they're not as pretty.
I know there are people that can repair it -- I just doubt it will be anyone at Naim. There have been many stories here on PFM about Musos and other all in ones type units that failed after warranty and Naim wouldn’t (couldn't?) repair them, even for payment. I’m guessing it will be the same for items like this unless they contract with a third party who can do this type of work.

Last edited:
There have been many stories here on PFM about Musos and other all in ones type units that failed after warranty and Naim wouldn’t (couldn't?) repair them, even for payment. I’m guessing it will be the same for items like this unless they contract with a third party who can do this type of work.

I’d really not put those products in the same category. This is an amp, it has no ‘computer’ aspect to it at all, even the standby mode could be disabled by anyone with electronics down the line. I’m as ‘Right To Repair’ and ‘hi-fi as a long term investment’ as it gets and I’m not seeing anything in there that worries me at all. To be honest it should be bomb-proof. Just replace the handful of electrolytic caps every 20 years and chuck a bit of switch cleaner in the contacts and it should last pretty much forever. The standby mode is likely a plus too as it will prevent people doing the leave on 24/7 madness. Assuming the basic design is good and the components are well rated for their task I suspect it will last just as well as the originals have. It looks to have much better speaker terminals too (the original Naits popped off the board, I bought and sold a lot of Naits around ‘00 when the price was starting to rise fast and I had to resolder the speaker sockets on most of them!).

I’d be interested in what some of the better DIY folk than me think, but to my eyes it is fine. To put it another way of everything Naim make today that is the one thing I’d actually like myself. I’ve absolutely no use for it, but I’d like one!

The overall build is so very similar to a Nap-100, I had mine for over five years and not an issue at all. I don't see anything in there that is a repair concern either. Not sure where the worries are over this really.

Its a shame that hifi in general seems to be selling to the few remaining geezers, this was an opportunity to attract in a younger audience, lets face it there is not 1300 quids of bits in there even allowing for R&D etc. Short termism is the name of the game now in everything it seems.

Naim would never sell anything without providing a healthy profit to stack holders.
Usually manufacture cost are 1/10 - 1/20th (even more sometime) than retail sales price.
Cost structure involve dealer margin.
Cable lifters and snake oil likely present huge margins.
I know a dealer which is able to give 45-50% discount on certain brands.
Its a crazy world, but as long as people are willing to pay.
From what Ive learned about Linn pricing over the years, its the top models that have very good margin. The entry level stuff is much leaner and nothing like what you quoted. So I think it may vary quite a lot throughout the Naim product range.

Last edited:
Its a shame that hifi in general seems to be selling to the few remaining geezers, this was an opportunity to attract in a younger audience, lets face it there is not 1300 quids of bits in there even allowing for R&D etc. Short termism is the name of the game now in everything it seems.

Not being funny, but how do you KNOW that? I work in R&D finance and governance and have done for over a decade and even I can't say that without seeing the records of the work the company have undertaken so unless you are a senior financial officer or R&D manager at Naim you have absolutely no idea. Sorry, if you think I am picking on you, but there's set of posters on here who continually trot out baseless nonsense re. Naim and their products (like perf's continued assertions that Naim are failing despite the accounts illustrating completely the opposite) without having much of a real clue as to what they are talking about. You seem to have joined them!

Never the less, this was an opportunity to attract in fresh blood, instead its a super expensive item, naim arn't interested in new young folk coming in, they are interested selling to the diminishing few willing to spend such silly money on a such a basic amp. I haven't worked in R&D all my life and that's my assertion.

advertisement

Back