advertisement

Naim and what cap?

A friend of mine ended up selling his beloved Sony SCD-777ES as Sony didn't want to know anything about it, and refused to look at it to repair it. Now that is an over-priced piece of kit. The fact that, as I understand it, Naim will repair every single product aside from one or two CDPs, for which they no longer have, or can get parts, is a big reason to respect them as a company, and probably one reason why their products hold their values so well.

The ultimate litmus test to the overpricing of their products would be their PL report, and what their net-profit margin is.
NP/TO
2011 .75m/16m=4.7%
2010 .65m/14m=4.6%
2009 .3m/11m=2.7%
2008 -.02m/10m=-0.2%
So, I don't think one can really say that their products are "overpriced" if they only acheive at best a net profit margin of 4.7%.

Go to Apple if you want to talk about overpriced products...

And yet they cant make replacement grilles for my SBLs... Tut. Tut.

All i can say is the Naim forum is far more tolerant of other makes of equipment than this forum is of Naim. Never have i seen a forum so angry towards a brand as this one.... What the f.... is the deal here, if you don't like a product, don't buy it, but don't keep bitching about it like a bunch of tarts.

All i can say is the Naim forum is far more tolerant of other makes of equipment than this forum is of Naim. Never have i seen a forum so angry towards a brand as this one.... What the f.... is the deal here, if you don't like a product, don't buy it, but don't keep bitching about it like a bunch of tarts.

Hey chillax gazzer, check out 'Cool Dude Clem' He is the man. (Turntable tweeks thread)

Hey chillax gazzer, check out 'Cool Dude Clem' He is the man.

Ok.... I like this forum, it's an interesting place and in general full of decent people, just sometimes the anti Naim brigade get on my nerves. Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I absolutely love Naim (and a whole host of other excellent manufacturers too - whose products really do compliment Naim kit).

When done carefully, selectively and in an educated informed way - mixing and matching is good not bad for your system and your ears.

It's a fact and Naim obsessives need to get over it!

It's entirely possible that "Naim-only" folks simply like the sound of an all-Naim system better than any hybrid they've heard. Oddly, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

regards,

dave

Naim/Logitech owner

What's your source? If its the cd5x(s) then the flatcap 2x is the natural progression and imho will bring a very nice improvement to this and can also power the nait xs but with at best a subtle improvement. Still the overall sound you get really sings after this. Teddy caps upgrade both the cdp and xs, give you more detail but IMHO made my xs unrecognizable so best to make sure you like this first.

Just my 2 cents and, I hope not construed as, Naim bashing.

Julian set the audio bar pretty high back in the early 70’s. His products were very different to the norm back then. Quite hair shirt really and expensive, but they did sound very good indeed.

Today things have changed a little sonically and a lot economically. I feel that most people want the best VFM that they can get to achieve an audio standard that they are seeking.

Naim still make great products but, IMHO, to achieve equally good standards, but not sounding exactly the same, there are products that give one much better VFM.

Just my 2 cents and, I hope not construed as, Naim bashing.

Julian set the audio bar pretty high back in the early 70’s. His products were very different to the norm back then. Quite hair shirt really and expensive, but they did sound very good indeed.

Today things have changed a little sonically and a lot economically. I feel that most people want the best VFM that they can get to achieve an audio standard that they are seeking.

Naim still make great products but, IMHO, to achieve equally good standards, but not sounding exactly the same, there are products that give one much better VFM.

Yep, and Julian was a much more open guy generally. No blanket ban on the Naim forum then for discussing third party PSUs... . Naim do seem to be loosing their focus of late. Its all about the image and filling every niche with a product rather than making the best they can and not being evil.. and this is coming from someone who loves and owns many of their products. I think they need some new blood in charge - someone younger who can take the company forward. In fact, I am free at the moment... LOL.

I don't know why folks in PFM like to hate Naim.
For me, it was my 1st s/h Nait 5i that brought back my interest in listening to music.
The seller said that it might be all I ever needed.

Of course the seller was wrong, I upgraded to a more expensive Supernait and I don't intend to go any further. Mainly because life is too short to spend on listening to equipment vs listening to music.

I visit the Naim forum often. It is mostly a civilized place where members share experience. It's like a cult... but when you have passion... sometimes this happens.

Of course the seller was wrong, I upgraded to a more expensive Supernait and I don't intend to go any further. Mainly because life is too short to spend on listening to equipment vs listening to music.

Given that you listen to the music via the kit I always find that a strange comemnt to make.... the one is inseparable from the other.

I have the Supernait too - a sweet spot in the Naim range. Having gone as far up as 82>250>SC at one point the SN more than holds its own and (in the context of Naim kit) it good value for money. You have to spend a lot more to better it in the Naim world. Personally I would rather spend more money on LPs.

I upgraded to a more expensive Supernait and I don't intend to go any further. Mainly because life is too short to spend on listening to equipment vs listening to music.

A very wise comment. That's the level that most of us hope to reach. The exit-level.

Jan

Having come from The National Audio Show, I don't think Naim is any more expensive than any other decent brand, the problem (IMO) is the cost compared to 2nd hand products,
you can buy a decent pre /power for £1000- £1500 (32.5/Hi/250) get it serviced, and how would that compare to a modern day set??

You then go to a dealer, and the old stuff is in the same ballpark as 202/200 (conservatively) for how many thousands??????

Says more about the original design, than modern day pricing………….

advertisement

Back